Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The movies and E-bay....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:32 pm 

First... ???<br>Can someone explain to me how to get a hold of some of Franks movies.  I got a hold of the twenty-five years movies with Mike Keneally, 200 motels and I love them.  But, I can't find any real copies of his actual movies.  I wish they had them available on the Barfko-swill.  Man,  I have not seen any of his movies.  Does anyone know where I could find them.<br>Second...<br>I am one mad fan >:(.  I was on e-bay and I thought maybe someone was possibly selling some Zappa VHS tape.  Man did I get suckered.  This person had an auction for four Zappa vhs tapes (Uncle Meat, Videos from Hell,  Does humor, and Mr. Bickford).  This person showed pics of all four covers and said they were not honkers, but legitimate movies.  I bought them and paid fifty dollars for them.  Well guess what?  A couple of weeks went by and no tapes, so I e-mailed him.  "Oh, they are on the way." he said.  Week three comes and goes and still no tapes.  He says, " I am very busy and will get them out."  Week four, same thing.  I emailed him after the fifth week and asked if he was or did ship them.  His reply, "7 business days."  Well, those days have come and gone and I started getting e-mails from some of the other disgruntled buyers.  they did not receive any movies either.  Then when you read his feedbacks he had so many negatives he was forced to go private.  The crazy thing was he was still offering the tapes as auction for other buyers to get stung.  Then I found out they are just illegal copies.  I never did get my money back.  I hate when that happens.<br>Anyone have a similar story or a comment on my stupid luck.  I have every e-mail he sent me and a print out of the action.  I should have figure something was up when I discovered he changed his E-Bay name four times and went to private feedbacks.<br>Oh well I learned my lesson...... :'( ::)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 4:11 am 

Yeah, as long as these videos are not available legitimately, people will keep on selling illegal copies on e-bay for outrageous prices. The ZFT better do something about this soon, re-release those videos on DVD! Too bad you got scammed, Chad. <br><br>As where to get copies.. that's a tough question. Some people do sell legitimate copies on e-bay, some people will trade copies for other FZ material and digital MPEGS of most of these are available from filesharing programs like Kazaa or WinMX (in fact, that's where I got my versions of Uncle Meat, Dub Room Special and some other FZ videos).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 2:57 am 

I have acquired all my movies collection this way. I was looking for DVD or videoCD copies since i hate vhs copies (they are bad and get worse the more you watch them) and could find almost everything.<br>Well the prices are crazy, it is a robbery, but it is the only way to get to see them (I didn't make it in time to see FZ live for real, and I don't think I am the only one...)<br>I don't know about other countries but here in Italy it is IMPOSSIBLE to find any video from FZ available in stores!!<br>I have tried and tried and then resolved to buy copies on ebay.<br>I look forward for official new releases on DVD or re-releases of what was already published on vhs, and I am willing to buy all of them once again. <br>In the meantime I am more than happy to watch these expensive and crappy copies.<br>This is what you can get by fans if you only resolve to finally give us what we are hungry for, ZFT think about that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 3:54 am 

I just can't wait until the official releases.  I don't know why they don't get on with it.  The money is being spent on illegal copies....why not get some quality product for the masses to buy.  We need more Zappa!!!!  My main point through all this is just that I don't feel it's right to screw people over and not even give the product out ...copy or no copy.   ;D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:26 am 

First off....always....ALWAYS, scope out the seller's feedback BEFORE bidding and be sure you note their S&H costs as well...some of them are a bit greedy. A few negatives is no big whoop...some folks are just never happy but if the seller has a couple thousand sales and only a handfull of complaints amongst all the praise I would just take the whiners with a grain of salt.....BUT check to see if the compliants are always on the same topic just the same. It's a crap shoot but if you go in with your eyes open and check things out first your luck will improve. Myself....I've gotten some good Zappa videos (some of which are dubs..but I already knew that in those cases), including an original Uncle Meat off ebay with no problems whatsoever but one MUST shop wisely. I also never bid if the starting price is ridiculous. Patience helps too....I've bailed on an item several times because the price got stupid but, being sure another similiar item would come up eventually, I would wait and try again. It's paid off.<br><br>Sorry you got ripped off though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 2:06 pm 

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D<br>The guy who ripped me off is officially banned from E-bay.<br>....Justice....well a little justice..never did get the money back!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:44 am 

<br>[quote author=Chad_the_Chitter link=board=concerts&num=1034994730&start=0#8 date=10/21/02 at 17:06:30]<br>GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D<br>The guy who ripped me off is officially banned from E-bay.<br>....Justice....well a little justice..never did get the money back!!!<br>[/quote]<br><br>::::sigh:::: Oft-times, such is the price of justice.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:32 am 

I so far have made good experiences with ebayers here in Europe. I found a guy selling everything Zappa all the time. So I contacted him and offered trading some VHS. So at least I got Uncle Meat and Halloween 1981. But still I need Baby Snakes, Video From Hell, Dub Room...<br>I don`t think there will be a re-release of them on DVD. Maybe a one from Roxy, some documentary. Those were the glory days when you could buy Humor and 200 Motels in a store (which luckily I did back then). <br>Those two even were on german TV some years ago! Altogether with "We Don´t Mess Around"! <br>What about TV anyway? There was ONE airing of A Token Of This Extreme in germany back in pre-video days...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:00 am 

i just received the 81 Halloween concert in NYC on a VCD from an Ebay seller. the quality is not high, the content is exceptional. i've also downloaded a version of the Dub Room Special on Kazaa, it's 34 mins. long. i hope these and others are available thru legitimate sources at some point, i'd buy them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:48 pm 

i was fortunate enough to buy a copy of 200 motels in mint condition. it still had the original shrink wrap on it! as for the rest, ive been looking for nice copies of true story of 200 motels and uncle meat but all i seem to find are used rentals (cut up with that ugly big black case) or home copies.