Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:22 pm 

BillyDaMt wrote:
Ok, I'm kinda digging that guys voice.
But I am Not digging the arrangement.

Yeah, I'm diggin' the vox and horns.

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:08 pm 

BillyDaMt wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
I agree with Brown Shoes - is choice such a bad thing in this situation? I would hope that some like one over the other, no? That's what makes us different. Some like Flo & Eddie era, some like the original Mothers, some like '88 - but we all like Zappa, right?

And no, I don't really care much for the Dead or moe. Phish were alright but their cheese knob could get turned up a bit too high. I heard that there original cover-album-in-its-entirety-for-Halloween was supposed to be Joe's Garage but Page McConnell (keyboardist) refused due to the lyrical content. I also seem to remember him saying "ram it up the poop shoot" is what got to him and that's not even from Joe's <grumble>. Oh well..... it was nice to at least hear them pull out Peaches. But I digress - the "jam" of P/O wouldn't be the factor that makes me enjoy them more than ZPZ. It's the *soul*. I think Dweez has great technical ability but is missing the *soul* - whereas I feel P/O was able to find that. There were certainly times that I felt that they could've been tighter though. Therein lies the rub. Plusses and minuses - but remember, CHOICE - the ability to have choices of multiple tribute bands. That was nice. P/O's existence never stopped me from paying quadruple to go see ZPZ either so don't get me wrong....

I think the word you are looking for here is "eyebrows"

This is precisely it. ZPZ does excellent recreations of FZ songs, but the eybrows in Dweez's solos are severely plucked. I'm sorry, but the back up guitarist plays far more impressive solos than Dweezil, as do the rest of his band. It's sad to say, and I really wanted to like his playing, but he only shines when he gets into a harder rock mode, he cannot replicate his father's solo style, and I wish he would stop trying becuase it comes off as bland to me. He needs to play the solos in the style that he excells at.

http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:25 pm 

FOWL wrote:
BillyDaMt wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
I agree with Brown Shoes - is choice such a bad thing in this situation? I would hope that some like one over the other, no? That's what makes us different. Some like Flo & Eddie era, some like the original Mothers, some like '88 - but we all like Zappa, right?

And no, I don't really care much for the Dead or moe. Phish were alright but their cheese knob could get turned up a bit too high. I heard that there original cover-album-in-its-entirety-for-Halloween was supposed to be Joe's Garage but Page McConnell (keyboardist) refused due to the lyrical content. I also seem to remember him saying "ram it up the poop shoot" is what got to him and that's not even from Joe's <grumble>. Oh well..... it was nice to at least hear them pull out Peaches. But I digress - the "jam" of P/O wouldn't be the factor that makes me enjoy them more than ZPZ. It's the *soul*. I think Dweez has great technical ability but is missing the *soul* - whereas I feel P/O was able to find that. There were certainly times that I felt that they could've been tighter though. Therein lies the rub. Plusses and minuses - but remember, CHOICE - the ability to have choices of multiple tribute bands. That was nice. P/O's existence never stopped me from paying quadruple to go see ZPZ either so don't get me wrong....

I think the word you are looking for here is "eyebrows"

This is precisely it. ZPZ does excellent recreations of FZ songs, but the eybrows in Dweez's solos are severely plucked. I'm sorry, but the back up guitarist plays far more impressive solos than Dweezil, as do the rest of his band. It's sad to say, and I really wanted to like his playing, but he only shines when he gets into a harder rock mode, he cannot replicate his father's solo style, and I wish he would stop trying becuase it comes off as bland to me. He needs to play the solos in the style that he excells at.

He is just a different type of player, I mean seriously, I love the two Z albums. So it's not that I don't appreciate his talent, he's just not his dad.
And you know what, most of us get that. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:48 pm 

jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
Project/Object featuring Ike Willis
12 December 1997
The Court Tavern
New Brunswick, New Jersey

Intro Jam, Tell Me You Love Me, Carolina Hard-Core Ecstasy, Cruisin' For Burgers, Black Napkins, Pygmy Twylyte, Montana, The Central Scrutinizer, Joe's Garage, Catholic Girls, Crew Slut, Wet T-Shirt Nite, Toad O-Line, Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?, Lucille Has Messed My Mind Up, A Token Of My Extreme, Stick It Out, Sy Borg, Dong Work For Yuda, Keep It Greasey, Outside Now, He Used To Cut The Grass, Packard Goose, Watermelon In Easter Hay, A Little Green Rosetta, Zoot Allures, Andy, Inca Roads, Zomby Woof

I'd rather PAY to watch a video of that than watch the ZPZ DVD for free any day of the fucking week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:02 am 

spinmonger Image wrote:
The Splendid Job and Spirituality was based on several factors.

1) ...

...It was really surprising to see Ike Willis perform Zappa Vamp solos. He truly was impressive...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:30 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
spinmonger Image wrote:
The Splendid Job and Spirituality was based on several factors.

1) ...

...It was really surprising to see Ike Willis perform Zappa Vamp solos. He truly was impressive...

Ha! Nice Spinmonger...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:24 am 

preciousz wrote:
That is pretty sad that you would put this on here. I don't care what you think of DZ, he would never push violence on anyone. He is very reserved and I take offense that you would infer that he would have someone "roughed up". That is pathetic, what are we in an episode of the Sopranos, just because he is Italian doesn't mead he is a mobster. I know there is conflict with Adrian but DZ would not result to violence over it.

Presciousz'z "reserved" heartthrob idol led the audience in a loud continuous chant of "FUCK LOU REED!!!!" when I saw the band Z perform at 9:30 Club in Washington, DC in March 1994.

Okay, what the fuck is up with that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:42 am 

Funny, considering Lou's the one to induct his father into the r'n'r hall of fame... :roll:

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:49 am 

I remember reading something in the Top 100 albums of the last 20 years (1967-1987) issue of Rolling Stone that mentioned something about how Verve decided not to spend as much on The Velvet Underground as they did on FZ and the Mothers (in fact, there was a quote to the effect of "zero bucks for Warhol - let's give all the money to Zappa" or something like that). By any chance is this where the bad blood between Lou Reed and FZ began?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:31 pm 

Jakeobs wrote:
I remember reading something in the Top 100 albums of the last 20 years (1967-1987) issue of Rolling Stone that mentioned something about how Verve decided not to spend as much on The Velvet Underground as they did on FZ and the Mothers (in fact, there was a quote to the effect of "zero bucks for Warhol - let's give all the money to Zappa" or something like that). By any chance is this where the bad blood between Lou Reed and FZ began?

Lou and Frank were in different gangs in New York.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:10 pm 

Jakeobs wrote:
preciousz wrote:
That is pretty sad that you would put this on here. I don't care what you think of DZ, he would never push violence on anyone. He is very reserved and I take offense that you would infer that he would have someone "roughed up". That is pathetic, what are we in an episode of the Sopranos, just because he is Italian doesn't mead he is a mobster. I know there is conflict with Adrian but DZ would not result to violence over it.

Presciousz'z "reserved" heartthrob idol led the audience in a loud continuous chant of "FUCK LOU REED!!!!" when I saw the band Z perform at 9:30 Club in Washington, DC in March 1994.

It all started when Frank fell off stage in England and broke his leg (or was pushed???) and Lou Reed said something like "Too bad he didn't die". AZ has said for years that he wants to shoot Lou Reed with poison darts. It was a huge deal that he inducted Frank because they had to get permission and the fued supposedly was over because Lou apologized. I don't remember all the details but that is the story in a nutshell.

Have a great day...Tricia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:39 pm 

Jakeobs wrote:
preciousz wrote:

Good for Dweezil, didn't know about that. Fuck Lou. His music sucks. Yes, the feud began in the Verve days. It was kind of like Big E Small vs. Tupac, except they didn't shoot each other. :)

Post subject: What the FUCK????
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:09 pm 

I check this forum out every few month.
What a bunch of pathetic losers. Got much
time on your hands?

Especially Trendmonger, that guy just drools his
consistently pointless paragraphs that go on and on and on..
HOLY SHIT!!! I don't know how y'all people stand it.
But I guess y'all do because you keep eating the buckets
of chum that he dumps on the forum.

Which, In My Opinion, makes you even bigger chowderheads
than he is.

Andre Cholmondeley is a huge twat. Why did he quit OUTKAST?

Post subject: Re: What the FUCK????
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:11 pm 
Banned

espanglish wrote:
I check this forum out every few month.
What a bunch of pathetic losers. Got much
time on your hands?

Especially Trendmonger, that guy just drools his
consistently pointless paragraphs that go on and on and on..
HOLY SHIT!!! I don't know how y'all people stand it.
But I guess y'all do because you keep eating the buckets
of chum that he dumps on the forum.

Which, In My Opinion, makes you even bigger chowderheads
than he is.

Andre Cholmondeley is a huge twat. Why did he quit OUTKAST?

POST OF THE MONTH!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:23 pm 

:roll:

Image Image

Post subject: WTF???
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:01 pm 

I couldn't help myself. I went to a site called itsaboutmusic.com where you can pay $14.99 to download Andre Cholmondeley's albums.

So I downloaded clips from both albums. You can do it too.
http://www.itsaboutmusic.com/andre.html
Go do it.

If you think this music is good, you need help.
I wonder why his friends wouldn't sit him down
and try talking him out of letting other people hear this?
I think it's the worst *music* I've ever heard.

Some of you will probably try to defend his music.
Fuck, I can't WAIT to read this shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:09 pm 
Banned

I hated it. Its was a sonic mess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:31 pm 

Espanglish = Help I'm A rock?
Either that or they are serious, long-time butt buddies.
Rock must be tired. He's slipping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:49 pm 
Banned

.....so you couldn't really approach its statistical density in its basic form? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:52 pm 

brainpang wrote:
Espanglish = Help I'm A rock?
Either that or they are serious, long-time butt buddies.
Rock must be tired. He's slipping.

Slipping? I think you have the wrong tense there.... :evil:

Image Image

Post subject: yep
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:16 pm 

Aww, c'mon Penguin.
You didn't even include a cute (so very cute)
little emoticon. Talk about slipping. I'll bet if you REALLY TRIED
you could make an entire post using only emoticons...log off
AOL and think about it for a minute, YOU CAN DO IT!
I'm sure there are many webpages with darling little dancing
kitties and breaking heart animations that you could use.

And Brainpang...bless your little heart. You figured it out!
Not only am I Help, I'm a Rock, but I am a ZFT spy!
As hard as I try, I can't fool YOU...no sirree!
As a matter of fact, GAIL ZAPPA herself is telling me what
to write as I am typing. She always tells me what to write.

You have ruined our little scheme. So now I am freed from her
stern employ...no more flying monkeys, Dorothy is back in Kansas.
So now you and I can be butt-buddies! BEND OVER!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:48 am 

preciousz wrote:
Jakeobs wrote:
preciousz wrote:

It all started when Frank fell off stage in England and broke his leg (or was pushed???) and Lou Reed said something like "Too bad he didn't die". AZ has said for years that he wants to shoot Lou Reed with poison darts. It was a huge deal that he inducted Frank because they had to get permission and the fued supposedly was over because Lou apologized. I don't remember all the details but that is the story in a nutshell.
it began before 71 :wink: ZAPPA AND the velvet underground Were going to do a month long Double bill at the trip 5/66 With 13 members of andy warhol's Explording plastic inevitable with Warhol movies a A Penguin.Got stopped after 3 days buy county sheriff(says didn't like the velvets look)HA ha..at the show vito? and the freaks CHEERED zappa and boored the Velvets(New Yorkers)3 Weeks later Played Double Bill AND danced at the Fillmore.THE crowed did the same but worse Later Lou said Zappa JA GD band Can't play and cant write and other stuff about zappa Maybe because zappa said the velvets suck"These Guys Suck"ha ha on Stage.And in the earley days Tom Wilson Produced Them both And lou Reckoned zappa told wilson to release the mothers album First...take note Lou reed did Say he was on Heavy Drugs...

OTL When i interviewd Dweezil and Amet they did a big routine About lou reed attacking him.it was funny.i sensed the rivalry going way back to the time of tom wilson and verve and all the rest of it.

FZ There wasn't any rivalry.i only met hime once or twice back then.

OTL When i talk to velvet fans i play them "venus in furs" by lou reed followed buy "penguin in bondage" and i say "venus in furs is just a list of Sadomasochistic cliches everyone knows,while "penguin in Bondage" something strange.

FZ Huh -ha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:48 am 
Banned

I love this guy.

8)
Quote:

Post subject: Re: yep
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:45 am 

espanglish wrote:
Aww, c'mon Penguin.

Sorry, buster. Writing style is just too suspect. You are writing differently than you have in the past, using many "rock-isms."
I am amused by the Rock and I smell a rat. We all know he plays games. It is my guess he posts under at least 3 names. If I am mistaken in your case, my apologies.

Post subject: Re: yep
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:24 am 

brainpang wrote:
espanglish wrote:
Aww, c'mon Penguin.

Sorry, buster. Writing style is just too suspect. You are writing differently than you have in the past, using many "rock-isms."
I am amused by the Rock and I smell a rat. We all know he plays games. It is my guess he posts under at least 3 names. If I am mistaken in your case, my apologies.

I don't know about it being Rock but it's definitely Seraphmonger, dweezilsBalLSdropandikneelAndBOB, Tyrone Biggums, etc.

Last edited by Jakeobs on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next