Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 'The Deathless Horsie'
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:37 pm 

Maybe this has already been spoken of here... I'm too lazy to search <br>What is your favorite version of 'The Deathless Horsie'? (on official or boots).<br><br>The Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar version is awesome, even better than on Halloween I think.<br>As for boots, the Albuquerque '81 (incidentally, this was the opening number) is very good, but not as good as on Shut Up. A hell of a guitar solo!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:53 pm 

My favorite version is the one on YCDTOSA from the '84 band.<br>One of the best FZ solos ever. <br>As about boots this tune is one of the very few that I like better in '84. The arpeggio was more steady and I love the tonality change that happens in the middle of the solo. <br>The early versions (as '78) were still good but more bouncy in the opening theme and mainly a vehicle for FZ/Vinnie improvisation jamming.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:33 am 

My recent favorite of 'Deathless' is BALTMORE 1981, late show.<br>  FZ tears the neck up, he really is having a great night.<br> Recorded on the 15th, it was only two weeks after the Palladium Halloween 1981 show, and two days before the RITZ NYC show with guest guitarist, Al DiMeola, another fine Italian.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:58 am 

tough call.  i'm a live version guy myself.  SUNPYG, HALLOWEEN, VOL.1, and the couple boots i have all kick so much ass.  SUNPYG might win, just cause it seems a little more "opened up" on that version, with halloween a close second or tie with first.  great tune. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:57 pm 

i love the version on halloween

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:33 pm 

Does anyone know why this song is called deathless horsie?  I always wondered if there was a story behind that!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:55 pm 

[quote author=Peaches En Regalia link=board=concerts;num=1069393058;start=0#6 date=02/02/04 at 13:52:57]Getting off the subject, I can play the 1st part of The Deatless Horsie on my keyboard (YES, EXACTLY IN TUNE!!!!) same with UNCLE MEAT (which I think is impressive since the begining, as well as the whole song, is pretty complex.)[/quote]<br>Oh c'mon! You expect us to believe that when the music is in the UM book? Hehe!  ;D  ;)  ;D  8)  ;D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:44 pm 

any word on the name though oh wise one?

Post subject: re: 'the flogged horsie'
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:53 pm 

[quote author=Noah link=board=concerts;num=1069393058;start=0#8 date=03/22/04 at 00:33:37]...why this song is called deathless horsie?  ...[/quote]<br>[[font=courier new]speculation[/font]] fz's variation on the phrase beating a dead horse (which loosely means ....no matter how hard or how long you beat a dead horse, it is not going to get up and run)...so my take is: the tune keeps going on & on until the musician gets tired of floggin it & let's it die [/[font=courier new]speculation[/font]] [hr]<br><br>my fav versioin these days is 78-sep-berlin with l.shankar, who gives the tune a bit more warmth than typically heard on other versions...don't get me wrong, i love the stone-cold version on su&pygsm, but shankar takes the edge off it a bit, rounds it out into more of a jam than just another fz solo vehicle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:36 pm 

That is an EXCELLENT speculation!   I shall assume the same!