Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: FZ's guest stars?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:37 am 

I'm sure that over the years many famous guests joined Frank and the band(s) on stage for a quick tune or two. We all know about Sting and John Lennon. I confess that I don't know any others off hand. Anyone else?<br><br>Perhaps this would be a good idea for a CD...

somehow...

Post subject: Re: FZ's guest stars?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:37 am 

Norman Gunston appeared onstage with Frank in Australia after Gunston interviewed him on his show (which was a complete pisstake). Gunston has interviewed everybody from Kieth Moon (who poured an entire bottle of vodka over his head) to Ray Charles (Gunston asked him if it was true he had a seeing eye manager!!(they had to help Ray off the floor from the laughter)) to various "World Leaders"(He even tried to interview Nixons dog) and movie stars. <br>He jammed with Frank in the interview on harmonica and Frank made him promise that when they came to Australia that he would come and perform. He did so in dramatic fashion. The stage that night had an interesting prop, several urinals (you know the individual knee-length models) that band members were pretending to piss in! Norman comes on stage sees them and says "Oh great, bubblers(what we call a drinking fountain) and proceeds to take a drink.His solo's weren't bad either.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 4:39 am 

How about Frank introducing Black Sabbath at Madison Square Gardens, '76 I think. He was supposed to play the encore with them but I don't think he did.<br>I think FZ also guested with Pink Floyd at a festival in Belgium circa 1969, Interstellar Overdrive was the song.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:40 am 

Does anyone have audio of Frank and Jimi jammin' together???<br><br> ???

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:06 am 

Frank also once had Rahsaan Roland Kirk jam with the Mothers at a Jazz Festival in Boston. According to the biography of Kirk, Zappa pulled the same hand signal stunt that someone else mentioned flummoxed Clapton, but Kirk (who was blind) somehow kept up with the changes, including falling to the floor when the rest of the band did the same. This is one performance I truly hope the ZFT has on tape somewhere in the Kitchen.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 9:06 am 

Oh boy... Some apparent gems here!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 9:39 am 

<br>[quote author=petulant link=board=wishList&num=1030102671&start=0#2 date=08/23/02 at 05:37:23]<br>Norman Gunston appeared onstage with Frank in Australia after Gunston interviewed him on his show (which was a complete pisstake). Gunston has interviewed everybody from Kieth Moon (who poured an entire bottle of vodka over his head) to Ray Charles (Gunston asked him if it was true he had a seeing eye manager!!(they had to help Ray off the floor from the laughter)) to various "World Leaders"(He even tried to interview Nixons dog) and movie stars. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Is this the same guy that interviewed Zappa on the Video From Hell?  The clip said it was from "Australian TV," and Frank "conducts" the audience by making different sides of the crowd clap on command.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 2:03 pm 
Re Jimi & Frank jamming together: I read some place that they did this during the Miami Pop Festival...can't remember the year. I'd love to get my hands on an audio of that!!!!   <br>I have an interesting boot of Hendrix, John Maclaughlin, Dave Holland and Buddy Miles jamming at the record plant in '69.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:59 pm 

There were more guests in 1988, or am I mistaken? And wasn't Johnny Cash supposed to join Frank on stage in '88? (Haven't listened to Ring of Fire in a while...)

--------------------------

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:30 pm 

what about Captain Beefheart? I know his voice didn't work well with Zappa's stuff but there was some worthwhile stuff on Bongo Fury, not to mention The Torture Never Stops, God he was an excellent bluesmen! There must be some more nuggets from that era out there in the vaults!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:34 pm 

Hi all.  Joni Mitchell got up with the Mothers in NY at the Fillmore East in about November of 1970.  She recited a poem to improvised accompaniment/conducting that began, "Penelope wants to fuck the sea"... She also sang Duke of Earl with the band.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:50 pm 

Ahhh...I remembered another - Nicolas Slominsky, who lived to the grand ol' age of 101 and wrote the book of alternative scales John Coltrane practiced from, played piano with the Mothers around late '81 in Santa Monica.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:09 am 

<br>[quote author=madcow1515 link=board=concerts&num=1030102671&start=0#8 date=08/24/02 at 12:39:56]<br><br><br>Is this the same guy that interviewed Zappa on the Video From Hell?  The clip said it was from "Australian TV," and Frank "conducts" the audience by making different sides of the crowd clap on command.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I don't think so, I haven't seen the video :'( :'( (we're a bit islolated down here) so I can't tell for sure but the interview I saw was just one on one in Zappa's Home/Studio (Whats the difference right) I promise to post a transcript soon  :o :o<br>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 1:11 pm 

Please ,don't forget Stephen Stills and Tom Waits....<br><br>This was ZapWay -new-fresh-on the net- here...why ???  :-X<br><br>Keep it greasy folks . 8)<br>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 1:07 am 

Don't have a name, but I'm still wanting to know who the petite female African American alto saxophonist was who stole the show at Grand Valley State, Allendale (G.R.) MI in Fall '74.  She was incredible!<br><br>Would love to hear something come out of the vault with her blowings on.  As many '74 recordings that I've acquired, I've never come across her again.<br><br>Anyone have an name?<br><br>YATS!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:32 am 

Can't forget Tom and Jerry!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:08 am 

We`ve just posted live guest appearances.<br>What about the studio workß There wasn`t that many. But al least in 1973 it was Jack Bruce for Apostrophe(´) and Tina Turner & the Ikettes on Backing Vocals (Montana and Slime).<br>That`s when Ike told Frank not to pay them more then he did, Tina baked a cake and Ike said it was crap when he heard the result. Ignorant sexist asshole!