Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: FZ's guest stars?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:42 am 

<br>[quote author=jimmie d link=board=concerts&num=1030102671&start=15#27 date=10/17/02 at 09:09:11]<br><br><br> 8)  The following is probably my most anal observation posted to this forum to date:<br><br>Apostrophe (') is the album title.<br><br>Apostrophe' is the song title.   8)<br>[/quote]<br><br>...it is, it sure is! ;D  How could I be such a fool? jimmi d rules!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:15 pm 

Well, the other way round:<br>I know FZ has appeared as an impromptu guest performer with PINK FLOYD in the very late 60s, in Belgium, I think. Any audio of that?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 6:31 pm 

[quote author=slimer link=board=concerts;num=1030102671;start=15#23 date=09/13/02 at 04:07:54]Don't have a name, but I'm still wanting to know who the petite female African American alto saxophonist was who stole the show at Grand Valley State, Allendale (G.R.) MI in Fall '74.  She was incredible!<br><br>Would love to hear something come out of the vault with her blowings on.  As many '74 recordings that I've acquired, I've never come across her again.<br><br>Anyone have an name?<br><br>YATS![/quote]<br><br>Could this be Norma Bell? She played some MEAN alto (in '75 though) + some powerful vocals. I don't know whether she was African-American, though.<br><br>I also have a '74 boot with some excellent African-American (at least she sounds so) female soul-type vocalist (Coffee?).<br><br>Dr. Including - thanks for the list. Are you sure about Don Cherry - have you heard this one, by chance? I am very curios about this one.<br><br>Also, what's the Slonimsky stuff like?<br>

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 4:07 am 

Re the Aussie (pisstake) interviewer, Norman Gunston, who jammed on harmonica with Frank in Sydney - when he interviewed Ray Charles, he also asked him why he wore dark glasses and if it was to copy Roy Orbison. Ray cacked himself laughing (as did I).

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 4:25 am 

[quote author=Mr_Green_Genes link=board=concerts;num=1030102671;start=15#29 date=11/01/02 at 14:15:06]<br>I know FZ has appeared as an impromptu guest performer with PINK FLOYD in the very late 60s, in Belgium, I think. Any audio of that?[/quote]<br><br>I believe I briefly owned a boot of this gig, in the form of one of those 'Apple House' (or similar label) copyright loophole releases - however, my sister being a massive Floyd fan, and me being such a nice brother, I let her borrow it before I had a chance to listen - and her house was burgled before she had a chance to listen. Never seen a copy since. However, I do recall reading somewhere (in Society Pages?) that there were plans to release this archival recording. I read it around the same time I read about a Zappa/Jefferson Airplane collaboration slated for release. This latter item came out on the Jefferson Airplance box set. As for the Pink Floyd one, no official release to my knowledge.

--

http://standanddeliver.blogs.com
http://www.radiohaha.com.au

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:22 am 

[quote author=josh link=board=concerts;num=1030102671;start=0#1 date=08/23/02 at 03:45:45] Archie Schepp in Amherst,Ma on the '84 tour, playing saxophone on Let's Move To Cleveland-The Solos. [/quote]<br><br>Yes!!! Oh my god! How I love his saxophone!  many times I talked about Mr. Shepp on this forum... I will never stop maybe... sorry zappafans... :-[<br><br>ciao.

Post subject: re: fz's guest stars?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:07 pm 

[quote author=white person link=board=concerts;num=1030102671;start=30#32 date=05/05/03 at 07:15:46][center][font=arial]Not a complete list (no N. Gunston, for one)....[/font][/center][/quote]<br>Image<br>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:46 am 

don't forget Tina Turner in "Overnite Sensation"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:54 am 

[table][tr][td][img width=107 height=165]http://www.fredunzel.com/tickets/maxi/77-09-29.jpg[/img][/td][td][center]i saw this show;<br>flo & eddie came out<br>in hockey jerseys <br>to do 4 songs...[/center]
  • road ladies<br>
  • wouldya go all the way  <br>
  • daddy daddy daddy<br>
  • do you like my new car  <br>
[/td][td]Image[/td][/tr][/table]<br>