Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 5:24 am 

Heh, atleast they respect it man. ;)<br><br>To tell you, I have the widest music taste in MY school. And all thanks to Frank.<br><br>And zappa at school? Well, not often since I got so much to listen to but it happens. Actually, it's not often I put on Zappa these days but I still enjoy him occasionally.<br><br>Hey, I got into FZ at the age of 14-15 something. But at the age of 8? Cool, although I knew that you where extremely young.<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 6:44 am 

In art class in junior high school, we were allowed to bring in albums. So I brought in "Absolutely Free."<br>  The looks of my classmates faces were priceless.<br>WTF is this???? LOL!<br>  Things were cool until "Brown Shoes Don't Make It" started playing. The teacher made me turn it off. <br>  The class booed! Innocently, I asked "why did you<br>turn it off?"  She replied, "you know very well why."<br>  So, to cure the boredom, I started a singalong<br>of "Duke Of Prunes."<br>  Teacher leaves classroom. Principal enters, and<br>I get detention.<br>  Ahh......the good old days.  ;D<br>  

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 12:51 am 

I don't listen to Zappa at school unless it's on my Portable Cd Player/Discman. As far as I'm concerned, theres no point playing it publicly if all its gonna get is comments like turn it off. I have a free class a couple of times a week where i do nothing but sit around. One of those is allways with my girlfreind who likes Zappa also (plus some other fantastic music, and some im not so keen on, but hey, thats me) we usually sit around and listen to him on the school computers (usually at a lower volume, as not to annoy others who are ALLREADY BORED).

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:45 pm 

When I was a high school geography teacher, I used to show a video about the fall of the Berlin wall and the wane of communism in Eastern Europe.  The video introduces the audience to several figures in the events including Vaclav Havel.<br><br>At the end of the video, there is a video collage of several events that has some "dramatic movie soundtrack" music playing in the background.  <br><br>At this point, I would stop the video, explain that Havel was an FZ fan, and that I'd read in an interview that Havel's fav FZ album was Bongo Fury.  Then I'd put on "Muffin Man" as the background music for the rest of the video collage and try not to play air guitar!<br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:52 pm 

I got into Zappa when I was 12 (I'm 36 now) .  My teacher was a big Zappa fan, and one day he played his guitar and sang Bobby Brown for the entire class and explained the lyrics to us.  I grew up in Sweden, which is a little more more liberal than it is here. Can you imagine that happen here? I moved to the united states when I was 20. Unfortunately I only saw Frank in concert once, in 1984, but I consider myself lucky to  have seen him live at all.<br>  Since that day I spent all my money to buy every album I could get my hands on, and ended up with all of them on both vinyl and CD's and numerous bootlegs.<br>  That was the best thing I ever learned in school.<br>   music is the best!<br>         Johan  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:34 am 

I don't actively push a lot of music anymore. Mostly because of failed prior attempts using poor examples on poorly-chosen sample groups.<br><br>But I believe I might have gotten some of my classmates genuinely interested just last year.<br>Part of our English 10 final was to do an oral presentation on anything.<br>I didn't even have an idea two days before the day I signed up to go on! <br>But then it hit me- do one on Frank.<br>So I created a PowerPoint presentation in a day and a half.<br><br>A handful of people inquired further after class the day I went up to show my presentation. I suggested they start with Freak Out!.<br>I'll find out next month whether or not any of them bought it.<br><br>If I did this project 5 years ago, I don't think it would have gotten over as well.<br><br>Why? Because at this point, my graduating class (the class of 2006), appears to be seperating into distinct genres. The first class to do so, I believe, in the school's 50+ year history. Not cliques, everyone still is pretty much on good terms, and there is a good chance they will remain so until we graduate. There's already the general non-aligned genre. They still listen to shitty MTV-approved music and wearing mall brand-name clothes, but they're still pretty laid back for the most part.<br><br>Now there is a 'pseudo-punk' genre floating around. They usually listen to all the shit-worthy MTV-brand punk we all loathe, and dress like usual fans of it. But I've observed they have receptiveness to iconoclastic ventures. They're also dabbling into Led Zeppelin and the like, at the same time. Perfect doorways, as I've found, for piquing interest in FZ.

Post subject: re: fz at school
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:44 pm 

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:11 pm 

i always listen to my frank zappa albums on the bus, but i've been lucky enough to encounter two teachers who happen to be zappa fans (interesting when i think they were two of my favorite teachers before i even knew that!).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:08 am 

When I was in graduate school in the late 80s, I took a course in Post-Modern Critical Thinking and Counterculture. The professor had a theory that Dadaism and other countercultural-type artistic movements had had a profound effect on the art of the late sixties and beyond, including musicians like David Bowie, The Grateful Dead, etc. etc.  There was quite an emphasis on the "hegemonic superstructure of consumer capitalism," readings by Benjamin and Adorno, and we studied visual arts and music to quite an extent, including a viewing of Pink Floyd's "The Wall." <br>But one person conspicuously absent from the discussions about rock and punk was Frank Zappa. I suspected that the professor just wasn't really familiar with Zappa, so of course, my one term paper - which was the basis of my grade for the entire semester - was dedicated to Zappa's work, in particular his use of scatalogical terms and how it was a direct descendant of the tradition of The Fool in cultures throughout the world...the court jester making fun of the emperor who has no clothes, etc. etc. <br>I have to admit, the paper was hilarious: it mixed serious scholarly research with some of the most offensive expressions in Zappa's entire catalogue ("Ram it up yer poop chute," "Bend up and smell my anal vapor," etc.).<br>We had to do an in-class presentation, so I brought in a tape that had a little montage of Zappa tunes. When they heard the "I remember they had a swimming pool" section of "It Can't Happen Here," the class just pissed themselves laughing. The professor was totally into it: he got it, big time.<br>And I got an A for the semester.   ;D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:40 am 

Speaking of Zappa at school, my senior year (late 91) my drama/wrestling coach turned me on to Zappa. But it kinda backfired as he gave me a copy of "Weasles Ripped My Flesh" I had no fucking idea what all this was. But liked "My Guitar wants to kill your mama" The rest just confused the holy hell out of me. <br>(Of course now, WRF is in my top ten) <br>It took me another 8 months and three other albums (Over-nite sensation Apostrophe and WOIIFTM) before I "Got it" <br>So I owe my dementia to a teacher.<br>And they say you can't learn anything useful at public school.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:54 am 

I should play Dumb All Over at my school. My philosophy teacher is a religious fanatic who calls us atheists 'assholes'. Think I'll end up hating that subject. She lectures us about good behaving and then insults us.  ::)<br>I would love to see her face while reading the Dumb All Over or Heavenly Bank Account lyrics (I bet she's a member of Opus Dei).  ;D Then I'd have to run very fast or I'd find myself burning in a big fire. <br><br>So I have an English teacher who can't speak it quite well and a philosophy teacher who's a religious fanatic. What more can I ask for?  ::)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:02 am 

[quote author=Batchain115 link=board=concerts;num=1084019990;start=15#18 date=10/12/04 at 04:43:36]<br><br>Victor, don't waste your time with any of that, you WILL be penalized. You don't HAVE a "philosophy teacher", what you have is a proselytizing religious nut POSING as a "philosophy teacher" with no right to do so. She is a fucking hypocritical fool and SOMEBODY should complain to the school administration about her and the shit she gets away with. What the hell kind of school hires a nut job like her and has the balls to call her a "philosophy teacher"?<br><br>I hope none of your other teachers are Medievalist assholes who are as disastrous that crackpot is but judging by your description of your English teacher I sure wouldn't bet on it! Yuck!<br><br>--Bat[/quote]<br><br>Of course I won't do that, I don't want to have any enemies at school. And I won't complain to anyone either, because it seems that everyone respects her at school (except the pupils) and I would find myself in trouble. No-one gives a shit if she insults us. My French teacher even had her for teacher years ago (he's quite young) and is friends with her. <br>I think she's so angry at everyone because she lives at my school and nobody loves her. She's a frigid bitter cunt. <br>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:11 am 

[quote author=pigs_have_beards link=board=concerts;num=1084019990;start=15#22 date=10/14/04 at 09:32:44][img][http://www.beefheart.com/zigzag/pictures/MortonDeath4.jpg/img]<br>oops I meant to post the picture not the link.[/quote]<br><br>LOL, Captain Beefheart is drawn with the trout mask. And Frank keeps talking about Varèse. Very funny.  ;D