Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:03 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hey folks,

We are planning for significant message board upgrades/changes in the coming months and we’d like to take this opportunity to let you know about this ahead of time. If you have special private messages, or anything that is important to you, please archive these things now.

Also: please update your profile with your current email address, so that we can help you keep your username.

We’ll continue to update you on Message Board changes in the near future, and welcome your feedback below.

Music Is The Best!

Mikey
zappa.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:09 pm 

Thanks Mikey!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:43 am 

Thanks for letting us know! When do you plan these updates and what are you going to do? Move to a newer version of PHPBB?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:28 pm 

can we still get rid of jaypfunk because today ... he's threatening people he doesn't even know and even though we all know he's too stupid to be able to carry it out?

hope everything comes out alright :|

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:28 am 

It seem that e-mail address can't be changed. At least for me, in the Edit account settings dialog the E-mail address field is not editable.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:28 am 

You have to contact Mikey if you want your email address changed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:12 am 

polydigm wrote:
You have to contact Mikey if you want your email address changed.

Because he doesn't have very many posts, right? I changed mine with no problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:24 am 
Administrator
Administrator

punknaynowned wrote:
can we still get rid of jaypfunk because today ... he's threatening people he doesn't even know and even though we all know he's too stupid to be able to carry it out?

It's amazing that everyone shrieks "No moderation!" any time we have stepped in to do so, yet my inbox is full of private messages from many of the very same people asking me to ban other people because they don't like what they're posting....

When the new forum is launched, we'll be happy to moderate it, seeing as that's what most people secretly want anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:28 am 

I for one DO NOT want moderation. Free speech for everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:29 am 

punknaynowned wrote:

What?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:08 pm 

Mikey wrote:
punknaynowned wrote:

It's amazing that everyone shrieks "No moderation!" any time we have stepped in to do so, yet my inbox is full of private messages from many of the very same people asking me to ban other people because they don't like what they're posting....

When the new forum is launched, we'll be happy to moderate it, seeing as that's what most people secretly want anyway.

Thanks for the feedback Mike!
For the record, I'm totally against censorship. This is the one and only time I've ever expressed a view here that's anything close to, or as extreme as, banning somebody. But when they continually, routinely wish violence on anybody (excepting you or zappa family members or a few of the band alumni), for years, without a shred of remorse, or understanding that people might not like that, then, the usefulness or edification that folks might get from such a bully, gets a little lost. This week he said he kills rich cunts. Last week he said muslims should be exterminated. It wasn't sarcasm and he's not Andrew Dice Clay. Isn't there a point at which a bully should be told 'no'? We've been doing it for years, yet he's been driving people away, inciting violence and spreading hatespeech, picking larger and larger targets all the while. If a bully isn't told no by an authority he has to respect, he'll continue that behavior.

Can you agree that yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater is probably a bad idea? Jaypfunk laughs at such a notion. You should read what he says about the unelected US Attorney General. Anyway, I know if you were to tell him to chill out, he might for awhile. But then, the return of old behavior is likely to just be louder and more obnoxious when it comes back. If you have a better solution, I and most of the other long termers here would be happy to hear it.
Thanks for listening.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:34 pm 

punknaynowned wrote:
Mikey wrote:
punknaynowned wrote:

For the record, I'm totally against censorship. This is the one and only time I've ever expressed a view here that's anything close to, or as extreme as, banning somebody. But when they continually, routinely wish violence on anybody (excepting you or zappa family members or a few of the band alumni), for years, without a shred of remorse, or understanding that people might not like that, then, the usefulness or edification that folks might get from such a bully, gets a little lost. This week he said he kills rich cunts. Last week he said muslims should be exterminated. It wasn't sarcasm and he's not Andrew Dice Clay. Isn't there a point at which a bully should be told 'no'? We've been doing it for years, yet he's been driving people away, inciting violence and spreading hatespeech, picking larger and larger targets all the while. If a bully isn't told no by an authority he has to respect, he'll continue that behavior.

Can you agree that yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater is probably a bad idea? Jaypfunk laughs at such a notion. You should read what he says about the unelected US Attorney General. Anyway, I know if you were to tell him to chill out, he might for awhile. But then, the return of old behavior is likely to just be louder and more obnoxious when it comes back. If you have a better solution, I and most of the other long termers here would be happy to hear it.
Thanks for listening.

I think that personal arguments between users shouldn't be the basis of moderation. That's extra work for the admins anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:36 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I think that personal arguments between users shouldn't be the basis of moderation. That's extra work for the admins anyway.

I agree calvin.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:11 pm 

punknaynowned wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

I agree calvin.

Well, not really. I don't have any problem with jaypfunk or his political views (or anybody else's for that matter) - the political discussion on the Zappa forum is horrible, and I don't read it anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:28 pm 

Mikey wrote:

Good Christ, please don't. FZ will be rolling in his grave if that happens...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:27 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Disco Boy wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Good Christ, please don't. FZ will be rolling in his grave if that happens...

So you say, but do you think FZ would support people who think that posting on a forum gives them license to be an asshole?

This forum has been unmoderated and essentially left alone as a natural ecosystem for many years. We installed software so you can ignore users, as an alternative to banning people. Even so, a significant number of you (including people posting in this very thread) send me private messages asking me to ban others because you feel as if you're being bullied or threatened, or you simply don't like what they are saying.

Moderation is not synonymous with censorship.

Music Is The Best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:41 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

punknaynowned wrote:
Mikey wrote:
punknaynowned wrote:

Thanks for listening.

I agree.

As we move forward with an update and upgrade, we want older users to feel comfortable, but we want to encourage new users, and people who are new-to-the-forum old fans, or brand new fans just getting into Frank, without them being attacked or otherwise chased off by existing forum members. I think you'll agree that it gets pretty bad sometimes.

This is for everyone - not the private clubhouse of a few.

I also think it would be a good idea to simplify the number of forums into something clearer and simpler.

Music Is The Best!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:27 am 

Mikey wrote:
As we move forward with an update and upgrade, we want older users to feel comfortable, but we want to encourage new users, and people who are new-to-the-forum old fans, or brand new fans just getting into Frank, without them being attacked or otherwise chased off by existing forum members. I think you'll agree that it gets pretty bad sometimes.

Well said Mikey. I'm not for the banning of anyone. But telling people to die in a bus fire {whether sarcastic or not}, should be curbed in some kind of way. But, no one should be banned. If the ignore function doesn't work for you {which I don't use}, you should just leave. There's my two cents. And that's all it's worth, because I'll be gone soon anyway. That will at least make Jay happy. :mrgreen:

And you're right. Music is the best! Where did you get that from? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:26 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
I for one DO NOT want moderation. Free speech for everyone.
Don't worry. My guess is that you'll continue to enjoy the free pass you've exploited for the past 14 years. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:29 am 

punknaynowned wrote:
Mikey wrote:
punknaynowned wrote:

Thanks for listening.

For once I have to disagree with punknaynowned and it was my mother who was the target of the "die, rich cunt" comment. jaypfunk's posts reveal the person he is; if he's happy he's presented his personality adequately here, then who am I to call for his or anyone else's banning? What I and others think or say about that personality is another matter.

On the other hand, I am not forum admin - people have been banned in the past for similar, so there is already a precedent even without moderation. Isaac appears to have been banned for making death threats against himself. I suppose one could argue that calling for the death of other forum members and their family members as well as many ethnic and minority groups is even more extreme - even, as I suspect, he intends to be funny.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:32 am 

Mikey wrote:
I agree.

I also think it would be a good idea to simplify the number of forums into something clearer and simpler.

Music Is The Best!

High five!
Thanks for your consideration!

(What?! Change?! Fuck! Whatever;)

Forward>>>

Music is the best!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:47 am 

I hope the changes don't include having to wear formal attire!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:56 am 

just plain doug wrote:
I hope the changes don't include having to wear formal attire!
Others fear the forum will impose a no-smoking ban. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:48 am 

Caputh wrote:
… as I suspect, he intends to be funny.

I think, his attempts at being "funny" in this way are the results of a complete misunderstandig of FZ's humour. He believes his behaviour puts him somehow on FZ's level. What an error!

I know that many people avoid this forum just because of him. Banning him could be dangerous though, because that would make his whole world collapse.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:00 am 

punknaynowned wrote:

Can we still get rid of jaypfunk because today ... he's threatening people he doesn't even know and even though we all know he's too stupid to be able to carry it out? <------ Get rid of jaypfunk? Huh? I thought you didn't want censorship. Now you are contradicting yourself all over the fucking place (see below). And, telling "go play in traffic" or what ever absurd thing it might be is not a threat. It's a JOKE!!

For the record, I'm totally against censorship. This is the one and only time I've ever expressed a view here that's anything close to, or as extreme as, banning somebody. <----- You are singling out one person because you either don't like what they have to say or how they say it. THAT IS CENSORSHIP, dolt!! This makes YOU both a hypocrite and the BULLY.

But when they continually, routinely wish violence on anybody (excepting you or zappa family members or a few of the band alumni), for years, without a shred of remorse, or understanding that people might not like that, then, the usefulness or edification that folks might get from such a bully, gets a little lost. <------- Telling someone "go fall down an elevator shaft" is NOT wishing violence on anyone. If anything saying something like that is so fucking absurd it should be seen as comedy because it simply would never happen. It's a ridiculous statement. Jesus Christ, grow some balls!!!

This week he said he kills rich cunts. <-------- It was a movie quote!! Get a fucking sense if humor.

Last week he said muslims should be exterminated. <------ Yes, Muslim terrorists need to be killed. If you think they don't then you are part of the problem.

It wasn't sarcasm and he's not Andrew Dice Clay. Isn't there a point at which a bully should be told 'no'? We've been doing it for years, yet he's been driving people away,

inciting violence and spreading hatespeech <----- Hatespeech = what you don't agree with!!! Typical lefty thought process.

picking larger and larger targets all the while. If a bully isn't told no by an authority he has to respect, he'll continue that behavior.

Can you agree that yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater is probably a bad idea? Jaypfunk laughs at such a notion. <---- Uh no! Doing something like that is fucking illegal and also stupid. I am NOT a stupid person. Holy shit.

You should read what he says about the unelected US Attorney General. Anyway, I know if you were to tell him to chill out, he might for awhile. But then, the return of old behavior is likely to just be louder and more obnoxious when it comes back. If you have a better solution, I and most of the other long termers here would be happy to hear it.
Thanks for listening.

^^^See my responses to your horseshit posts above. Crybaby.^^^