Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:45 am 

Testing posting priveledges... echo?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:55 am 

Loved the Roxy shows, 10/10 and 10/12 - cheered and danced, broke a chair, got admonished by polite yet firm security personel, and enjoyed my first taste of LA.

Just like Seattle, most butts seem firmly planted in chair, much like my 3 year old's favorite movie WALL-E. Attempts to dance like a fool are checked by unappreciative peers, audience and staff alike. WALL-E ran through the halls of the Axiom, upsetting the chairs, but he ultimately inspired the Captain to stand up, struggle with Auto, and upset the entire balance.

For me, the music blows me out of my seat and makes me wish for more people who get up and move to these intense rhythms - even Billy the Mountain, Ethel, and especially Studabaker. I'd rather you not sit behind me glaring at me for blocking your view. There's already a lot of pressure to sit back down without knowing I'm annoying you.

That's probably why I cheer my ass off for the guy that wins the guitar - it's my way of saying "be happy for the other guy." Like you, I wanted to win it - but hearing you say "fuck" because you lost makes me want to get away from you. You could make up for it by getting off your ass.

Then again, Ray White blows me back into my seat. Man I'd love to hear some tunes from Thing Fish.

To the security personel who have harrased me for three years, two in Seattle and one in LA: who are you protecting? How about protecting my right to dance? Tell the people who have been sitting in torpor too long to get up out of Transylvania and boogie. I actually, I kid you not, had a security guy in Seattle ask me to sit down because "I was freaking people out."

What did I do? I do what I always do when a security person at a concert asks me to do something. I did it right away without question or reply other than "thank you for the warning." The last thing I want is to be kicked out of a show I'm enjoying so much or get into an argument rather than listen to the music.

I'm betting the Triple Door will be different - its terraces and box seats lend space for more individualistic expression. Then again, the tables and kitchen encourage fine dining - a favorite activity while listening to Zappa?

I met some nice people before, during, and after the 12/12 Roxy show. Darryl, Alec, Michael, Jane, Spencer, Evelyn, Bill, and even Spatting Simon who totally spat when he talked and cock-blocked me multiple times both nights.

I even shook hands with Joe Travers. What an awesome guy. I usually feel awkward and dumb meeting celebreties in a crowd, so even though I could have met just about everyone else in the band too - they were that generous with their time - I didn't.

I did get Dweezil's signature on my newly bought sweat shirt though. Plus, I shook Dweezil's hand last year in Seattle in front of the entire Paramount audience while snubbing the security personel by doing it in front of their noses, jumping a baracade twice in the process, right after Dweezil called me out of the audience as his favorite Terpsichore from the year before. Man that was sweet.

The weird miracle of it was that I was randomly walking down the center aisle up to the stage when Dweezil called me out, and the audience lights went on - I felt exposed in front of the Paramount audience of thousands, all sitting, and I had no choice but to cheer myself I little. Truly a moment that could only be eclipsed by winning the guitar.

Ultimately I ended up dancing in the dark on the third terrace of the Paramount - wow, what a secret area. The only problem there is the lack of connection with the band, since it was so dark up there. I've partied up there before during Bumbershoot and as long as there is light, you can still connect with the band on stage. I practice xingyi (look it up on Wikipedia if you're interested in martial arts) and that area is perfect to do it during a show.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the January shows here in Seattle at the Triple Door. See you there!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:40 am 

God I miss you guys. Thanks for Zappa Radio.

THING FISH! THIS IS ZAPPA RADIO! Smell that saxophone son! Ah - mine wants a clarinet now. I'm experiencing beautiful audio delights.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:31 pm 

sayahoy wrote:
Loved the Roxy shows, 10/10 and 10/12 - cheered and danced, broke a chair, got admonished by polite yet firm security personel, and enjoyed my first taste of LA.

Just like Seattle, most butts seem firmly planted in chair, much like my 3 year old's favorite movie WALL-E. Attempts to dance like a fool are checked by unappreciative peers, audience and staff alike. WALL-E ran through the halls of the Axiom, upsetting the chairs, but he ultimately inspired the Captain to stand up, struggle with Auto, and upset the entire balance.

For me, the music blows me out of my seat and makes me wish for more people who get up and move to these intense rhythms - even Billy the Mountain, Ethel, and especially Studabaker. I'd rather you not sit behind me glaring at me for blocking your view. There's already a lot of pressure to sit back down without knowing I'm annoying you.

That's probably why I cheer my ass off for the guy that wins the guitar - it's my way of saying "be happy for the other guy." Like you, I wanted to win it - but hearing you say "fuck" because you lost makes me want to get away from you. You could make up for it by getting off your ass.

Then again, Ray White blows me back into my seat. Man I'd love to hear some tunes from Thing Fish.

To the security personel who have harrased me for three years, two in Seattle and one in LA: who are you protecting? How about protecting my right to dance? Tell the people who have been sitting in torpor too long to get up out of Transylvania and boogie. I actually, I kid you not, had a security guy in Seattle ask me to sit down because "I was freaking people out."

What did I do? I do what I always do when a security person at a concert asks me to do something. I did it right away without question or reply other than "thank you for the warning." The last thing I want is to be kicked out of a show I'm enjoying so much or get into an argument rather than listen to the music.

I'm betting the Triple Door will be different - its terraces and box seats lend space for more individualistic expression. Then again, the tables and kitchen encourage fine dining - a favorite activity while listening to Zappa?

I met some nice people before, during, and after the 12/12 Roxy show. Darryl, Alec, Michael, Jane, Spencer, Evelyn, Bill, and even Spatting Simon who totally spat when he talked and cock-blocked me multiple times both nights.

I even shook hands with Joe Travers. What an awesome guy. I usually feel awkward and dumb meeting celebreties in a crowd, so even though I could have met just about everyone else in the band too - they were that generous with their time - I didn't.

I did get Dweezil's signature on my newly bought sweat shirt though. Plus, I shook Dweezil's hand last year in Seattle in front of the entire Paramount audience while snubbing the security personel by doing it in front of their noses, jumping a baracade twice in the process, right after Dweezil called me out of the audience as his favorite Terpsichore from the year before. Man that was sweet.

The weird miracle of it was that I was randomly walking down the center aisle up to the stage when Dweezil called me out, and the audience lights went on - I felt exposed in front of the Paramount audience of thousands, all sitting, and I had no choice but to cheer myself I little. Truly a moment that could only be eclipsed by winning the guitar.

Ultimately I ended up dancing in the dark on the third terrace of the Paramount - wow, what a secret area. The only problem there is the lack of connection with the band, since it was so dark up there. I've partied up there before during Bumbershoot and as long as there is light, you can still connect with the band on stage. I practice xingyi (look it up on Wikipedia if you're interested in martial arts) and that area is perfect to do it during a show.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the January shows here in Seattle at the Triple Door. See you there!
Back in the day Frank would say "Sit down and enjoy the show!"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:10 pm 

thepoodlebites wrote:
Back in the day Frank would say "Sit down and enjoy the show!"

Yeah, that may be true. Then I'd have probably just sat down and fidgeted around a bit. Or maybe he'd have invited me on-stage for the dancing contest. Who really knows?

All I know is that I love the music and it makes me want to move.

My first Zappa album was Sheik Yerbouti - on double cassette tape in 1987. I'd only read about Frank Zappa in Guitar Player and really had no idea what his music was like. The Guitar Player article made me think he was "heavy metal" and since I was listening to that back then I thought I'd check him out.

I paid $16.99 for that double cassette at the mall, got in my car, popped it in, and started driving home. Right off the bat it was not what I'd expected, and truth be told wasn't what I was hoping for either. I was disappointed, but left it on while I drove. I mean, I spent $17 on the thing and I was damn well going to listen to it start to finish.

I kind of tuned it out and wasn't paying attention, when all of a sudden someone cut me off on the freeway. Just then, the lyrics "you're an asshole, you're an asshole, that's right!" sang out. It was so exactly how I was feeling at that moment, so synchronous, and suddenly I went from being angry at the other driver to laughing out loud. A complete 180 degree mood shift.

Then I rewound the tape, listened from the beginning, loved every moment, and have been a fan ever since.

Not long thereafter, Frank started releasing the CDs, which I collected one by one. It was why I bought a CD player, so I could listen to We're Only In It For The Money / Lumpy Gravy.

Then I got to see him perform in '88 at the Nassau Colliseum in NYC. And after that I spoke to him once on the phone, where I was a total blubbering idiot. I knew he was sick with cancer and I was so worried, and I asked him if he ever though of taking up Tai Chi or something. He asked me if I could really imagine him "dancing around a room with a bunch of old people, wearing a smock."

Anyway, it's cool to have found this community of fans. The people I've met at the concerts have all been great. I guess I'm pretty goofy all-in-all, but people just seem to laugh and wave and let me do my thing. Except those security guards. But the story was very different at the Triple Door shows last month here in Seattle! No problems there whatsoever. If anything the security and waitstaff were very courteous and supportive, and even provided me an area right next to the stage where I could get up and boogie without bothering a soul.

Some day though, some day I'd love to see the whole audience up and dancing and mingling, like the way it is at a Parliament Funkadelic or Zap Mama show. Ah, what a fantasy that is.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:39 am 

Don't get me wrong Disco(sayahoy) Boy, Franks music moves me also! I think my point is, when I pay money to go see a band that I like, there is nothing worse than an over the top fan jumping and fruggling, blocking my view off the band, spilling beer, sreaming and so on. Seeing most bands this might come with the turf, but Frank was different. I loved the fact that his fans got excited, but also new when to sit down and enjoy! I have seen this carry over to ZPZ. (Do you run to the toilet just to comb your hair?)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:36 am 

When I went to see ZPZ last year, I was in a venue that had no chairs. Standing (wobbling) room only, so there wasn't as obvious a precedent for decorum during the calmer songs/pieces. Were I to have seen them in a theatre, with seats, I might have been one to sit for most of the show, but honestly, I enjoyed being on my toes (literally) the whole time. Not much for dancing, except drunken stumbling to the beat, halfway through the show, but I see no reason for people not to get wrapped up in the emotions of the moment if they feel so moved.

The beer spillage is a crime unto itself - party foul - and to spill beer on another person is even crimier. Other than that, do your thing, freaky bro!

Maybe it's an upbringing that includes a few pentecostal church services that has made me appreciate people getting into the spirit of things, and honestly, shouldn't Zappa (or ZPZ) shows treated like a religious experience?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:39 am 

Yeesh. Who said anything about spilling beer? I don't do that, and I'm also respectful of people behind me. Poodle, you can call me Disco Boy, but I'm not dancing for an image. I wouldn't even really call what I do dancing. I'm multitasking. Three years ago I became a father, and an evening out on my own has become quite more of a rare and special event. So I'm enjoying a night out, listening to music, practicing xingyi, doing aerobics, and exploring, all at the same time.

That said, I've probably crossed the line of decorum a few times by accident.

However, Poodle, it does sound like you're the kind of person I'd rather not be near during a ZPZ concert. So if we're ever in the same venue, just flick me off and smile, and I'll get away from you pronto.

Stuff, what venue was that? Sounds like my dream, like if they came and played at the Showbox here in Seattle. I think calm songs are the ones were I most want people standing, simply because then I wouldn't feel so stupid doing a santi or squatting monkey (qigong) posture, which are perfect for calm songs, since I'd have visual cover.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:48 am 
Banned

Quote:
Zappa Plays Zappa
Dweezil and the Zappa Family Trust
Present the Music of Frank Zappa

Spend an evening with the music of Frank Zappa, as Dweezil Zappa brings his ongoing homage and performance of his father’s music to Santa Rosa. In concept and performance, Zappa Plays Zappa offers audiences an opportunity to experience Frank Zappa's music performed meticulously by a group of top flight musicians schooled in its subtleties. Far from a "tribute band," Zappa Plays Zappa is more of a vehicle that underscores the compositional genius of Frank Zappa, much as a symphony orchestra performs pieces by a master composer.

NOTE: Due to the nature of this show, dancing is expected and may disrupt patron site lines once the show begins. For a clear view of the stage, uninterrupted by dancing patrons, it is suggested you purchase tickets in the front of the balcony.
Well sayahoy how about this! I met you at the Fri nite Roxy show and told you that I remember seeing you on the ZPZ DVD from the Seattle show and you were pointed out by Dweezil and encouraged to keep it up!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:04 pm 

Hey Sayahoy, I might not be fully understood here! I didn't see your personal enjoyment at that particular event(s) I don't even fucking care! I too get up and move, Christ.. I'm not a Zombie! I was merely stating that part of the pleasure of seeing Frank was that we would sit and enjoy!(Have you ever even seen Frank, I bet not) The first year that ZPZ was in Chicago I had a drunk female dancing and splashing her beer down my back! (everyone in the front rows were seated but her, send that bitch to the balcony!) I'm 6' 4" tall and about 250lbs...Seeing over someone at a concert is not a problem for me, how would you like if you wife.(or girl) was behind me all night.. If everyone is standing do think my ass is in the seat? I don't go to many movie theaters because they are made for short people, People have complained that I block their view, and I cant move forward because my knees are in the heads of the people in the row in front of me! Try to understand here, I've been a blocker most of my adult life and I go out of my way not to block! I guess I should be more selfish. Do you get my point!!!!(And you think I'm going to the balcony, your outta your fucking mind!)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:58 am 

thepoodlebites wrote:
...snip...(Have you ever even seen Frank, I bet not) ...snip... I guess I should be more selfish. Do you get my point!!!!(And you think I'm going to the balcony, your outta your fucking mind!)

I'm probably wondering why you're here...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:00 am 

Diesel Dummy wrote:
Quote:
Zappa Plays Zappa
Dweezil and the Zappa Family Trust
Present the Music of Frank Zappa

Spend an evening with the music of Frank Zappa, as Dweezil Zappa brings his ongoing homage and performance of his father’s music to Santa Rosa. In concept and performance, Zappa Plays Zappa offers audiences an opportunity to experience Frank Zappa's music performed meticulously by a group of top flight musicians schooled in its subtleties. Far from a "tribute band," Zappa Plays Zappa is more of a vehicle that underscores the compositional genius of Frank Zappa, much as a symphony orchestra performs pieces by a master composer.

NOTE: Due to the nature of this show, dancing is expected and may disrupt patron site lines once the show begins. For a clear view of the stage, uninterrupted by dancing patrons, it is suggested you purchase tickets in the front of the balcony.
Well sayahoy how about this! I met you at the Fri nite Roxy show and told you that I remember seeing you on the ZPZ DVD from the Seattle show and you were pointed out by Dweezil and encouraged to keep it up!

Awesome to run into you here! It was great talking to you that night. Thanks for the info above - wowie zowie.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:00 am 

Nice way to take thinks outta context. Answer my question.... Dance'n Fool!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:18 am 

thepoodlebites wrote:
Nice way to take thinks outta context. Answer my question.... Dance'n Fool!

Frenchie, you're a demanding one aren't you? This is my thread, and I'm pleased you've chosen to contribute. However, I saw no question marks in your post; only exclamation points.

In this very thread I've already answered your... statement... whether I saw Frank live. As far as if I "get your point" - if you mean can I sympathize that you're a big guy and have felt badly about being a blocker all of your life, then the answer is yes. I fully agree with you that it is good to do your best not to be a blocker. But wouldn't it be great if everyone got on their feet? Wouldn't it be great if people behind you said to themselves "I don't have to be glued to this spot - I can move so I'm not behind the big guy" or "I don't have to see every inch of the stage at every moment of the concert - I can share and take turns"?

Anyway, that's probably enough of this fascinating topic for now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:15 pm 

One last response, I've been to countless concerts. Most of those, You would stand for almost the entire show.. Dancing,cheering, whatever floated your boat, Again Frank was different! Frank could orcastrate the audience as much as the band. If he said stand (you would) If said sit down and enjoy the show (you did) It was refreshing to actually see the show. the fact that so much was going on musically. I didn't want to miss a thing visually. That's probably why you got the glares and so on (I'm not sure) I think it great that there is new younger fans that are into Zappa, But most of us are the older fans (I'm only speaking for myself) want to visually absorb as much as the bands performance as I can, and prefer not to be blocked or annoyed. I did ask you a question regarding how would you like it if your wife was sitting behind a guy that is my size ( If I stood all night, all she would see is the back of my shirt) Think about that. Most venues with seats pack you in there like sardines.There's not enough room to look around the guy sitting, yet alone standing all night in front of you. (Your rights stop where others start) Should be a middle ground that's all! Maybe ZPZ should have Mosh pits, sounds like you would fit right in.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:58 pm 

I'm probably wondering why I'm here.

And so am I.

I probably think this thread is about me.

Don't I?

Don't I?

Don't I?

The main thing I learned about myself watching the ZPZ video is that I need to relax and smile more. I don't necessarily blame the security guard too much for realing me in at the Paramount. I've seen my face now and know I can look intense to the point of looking unbalanced. I was out for the first time in about 3 months, leaving my 3 month old baby and his mommy for the first time, after a very frightening post-pregnancy.

The thing was, I was dreadfully disappointed that the crowd wasn't on their feet for the whole show. So rather than dance by myself I decided to practice qigong, xingyi, taiji, bagua, and yoga. The security guard had probably not witnessed this before, much less while on duty. So in his mind I was a threat. Not just to him but to the entire audience. Even though I have extremely good control over exactly where I place my body parts; however, I digress.

Unfairly to Frank, he became a role-model and father figure for me sometime before I was 20 years' old but after my own father committed suicide, when I was 14. I owe a lot to Frank, for being there for me when I needed a strong male figure in my life.

It was so sad when Frank died, right on my first marriage's first anniversary. Of course, I'm no longer with that woman (good woman that she was). Instead I'm now married to my greatest love who has given me the son of my dreams.

Frank was a good man. Someone I've looked up to for over 20 years. I knew that I should pay attention to any musician he picked to be in his band, so I've discovered so much great music. Also, it's like if someone is a Zappa fan, they are already marked awesome in my book.

Anyway, thanks for your replies. Good to meet you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:40 am 

sayahoy wrote:
Stuff, what venue was that? Sounds like my dream, like if they came and played at the Showbox here in Seattle. I think calm songs are the ones were I most want people standing, simply because then I wouldn't feel so stupid doing a santi or squatting monkey (qigong) posture, which are perfect for calm songs, since I'd have visual cover.

Workplay Theatre in Birmingham - Soundstage area, to be specific.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:39 am 

hay sayahoy when u said u were speakin 2 ppl at the roxy shows n u met sum guy called simon who spat while he talked was this guy british?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:08 pm 

Moe finds this argument to be utterly beneath contempt and without substance:

He thinks you should fight like men; with pies...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:06 pm 

This thread is a good read. Sometimes a fight's gonna start no matter what. Anyway, I saw FZ a bunch of times, and I always loved that he would tell everyone to sit down, get away from the stage, relax and enjoy the show. As a fan who really doesn't like people standing/dancing in front of me, I always felt Frank took care of me and others like me.

As for the guy in the video.... There are good medications for that. Let me know and I'll prescribe some. :mrgreen:

BTW Poodle.... How'd those pix turn out from Ike and the guys? Gonna post a few?

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:38 pm 

I_gave_dz_a_pound wrote:
hay sayahoy when u said u were speakin 2 ppl at the roxy shows n u met sum guy called simon who spat while he talked was this guy british?

As a matter of fact, yes! In his defense I will say that when I told him he was spatting on me he admitted to being very drunk. He did totally monopolize Dweezil one night and Scheila another. Just as I was about to go up and talk with them, blam - there he was stepping right in front of me. But he did come a long way to see them, so kudos to him.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:05 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
As for the guy in the video.... There are good medications for that. Let me know and I'll prescribe some. :mrgreen:

Medications... Preparations... Have a crystal ball too?

Actually there was a fight at the paramount that same night where they escorted some guy out, but I wasn't involved in anything like that. I do my best not to bother folks like yourself at shows - hence why I spent most of my time in the wings and ultimately ended up at the back of the upper balcony of the Paramount where I could do my thing without annoying anyone. I still wish there were more people up on their feet.

I mean, Napoleon Murphy Brock - that guy can dance! While playing and singing Zappa's music. Totally inspires me. I hope he's back on the ZPZ tour again one of these years. And what a great guy too - I had a real nice conversation with him at a Project Object show in Seattle several years ago. Same goes for Ike Willis. He just came out between sets, sat, had beers, and chatted with any of us that wanted to sit and talk with him. The Rainbow was a good club for shows like that back in those days.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:13 am 

fz shows [and most other big concerts] had their high energy moments when the whole crowd was hoppin & jumpin, but shit, not the entire show, like, during he solos, sit the fuck down; if someone stayed up too long, a few accurately flung projectiles dealt with it pretty fast... no beer at those shows, but almost got rancid bongwater dumped on me at a canned heat show

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:49 am 
Banned

sayahoy wrote:
I_gave_dz_a_pound wrote:

As a matter of fact, yes! In his defense I will say that when I told him he was spatting on me he admitted to being very drunk. He did totally monopolize Dweezil one night and Scheila another. Just as I was about to go up and talk with them, blam - there he was stepping right in front of me. But he did come a long way to see them, so kudos to him.

I met Simon also, I sold him an extra ticket at cost that I had for the Fri nite show. He explained to me that he had flown from London with no tickets, he was just hoping to get one for the shows..what faith my boy. I Wonder if "I gave dz a pound" is Simon? If it is remember thats it's better to smoke too much weed than to drink too much.... Happy Trails to ya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:49 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
if someone stayed up too long, a few accurately flung projectiles dealt with it pretty fast...

Now there's a suggestion that is illegal, ill advised, immature, could cause a dangerous condition, and has no place in any kind of community gathering.