Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:42 am 

hi all yes i am simon the british guy i remember u sayahoy sorry if u think i was cock blocking u (i had 2 ask an american mate 2 find out wot that ment) and yes i was very drunk n thought i'd make the most of my trip wot fucking amazing shows thanks 2 the guys that sold me tickets u gave me the best nights of my life can't wait 4 zpz 2 cum 2 uk where seeing them will undoubtably b alot cheaper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:17 am 

Just started reading this tread,lol. My wife (Melanie) and I managed to catch the Portland and
Seattle shows the first year ZPZ played there,best of both worlds for standing and enjoying the freedom of being able to dance your pants off.Nice seating and lines of sight in seattle at the Paramount and being on the rail at the Roseland is about as good as it gets(as you can see on the dvd from our expressions,I'm the one with the engineer's hat on).Speaking of dancing your pants off, here's a story some of you might find entertaining.When I saw Frank in springfield MA.,I think it was mid 80's, at the civic center there was quite a scene outside in the street while we were waiting for entry. Two brothers(drunk as hell and looking like something from Bruce Bickford's twisted mind) were attempting to cross the street to approch the facility when one of them fell down in the middle of traffic. It was not an injurious fall fort. just hysterical.It got more so when when his brother ,attempting to get him off the street with horns blaring(big main street with lots of heavy traffic), manages to pull his pants off. The crowd went nuts as you can imagine but here's the punchline-those two were right up front as Frank sang "you're an asshole" and totallyagreed with him saying "yes we are" at the top of their lungs.The first time I saw Frank he was with Flo and Eddie after the show they released as the white filmore album.The New Haven Arena was the venue. When Frank arrived on stage he started with"when we got here today I looked at this place and said, this is the ugliest building I have ever seen.When we did sound check I said,This is the ugliest sounding place we've ever heard!." It had an open floor with no seats(They stopped putting out seats after the infamous show where JimMorrison was maced and arrested on stage for calling the cops "Little blue men who sucked c***" and the crowd responded by flinging chairs at the stage) so you could dance if you wanted but usually the floor scenes were too crowded for that so we would sit in the stands as close to the stage and stacks of speakers. When Frank played the Seattle arena in '80 for the first time there was room to dance.Hell,therewas enough room for people to have nice exchanges of frisbees!( first for me at a Frank show!). The second time a year or so later It was wall to wall folks having a great time.,still with open floor,no seats Then again it was great to see him in the Felt forum in N.Y.C. ("73?),classy place ,we all dressed up,great seating. So it goes all ways as far as dancing,play it by ear and try not to block anyone's line of sight if at all possible,we all want to see these musicians work their little fingers to the bone entertaining us. BobR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:43 pm 

I_gave_dz_a_pound wrote:
sorry if u think i was cock blocking u (i had 2 ask an american mate 2 find out wot that ment)

No worries mate! I get a chuckle out of the whole thing. LOL. I already hate myself for being so prickly on my first post here. When I wrote that I was just being showy and exaggerative. I could have easily asserted myself and gotten talk-time with anyone in the band those nights.

Remember that I took that picture of you with Scheila with your camera? Hopefully it turned out okay.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:51 pm 

bob r wrote:
Bruce Bickford's twisted mind

Right on Bob! Great stories. I hope to meet you at a show some time. Lucky you to have a wife that also likes Zappa. Mine is definitely not a fan. Sigh. I brought her brother to ZPZ's show this year and he liked all of it except the "talky" parts of Billy the Mountain.

Your mention of Bruce reminded me that he was at a P.O. show at the Rainbow in Seattle some years ago, showing off some newer work between sets.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:21 am 

I was at that show! Great chance to meet Bickford!Lots of fun!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:55 am 

hay sayahoy yeah the pictures all turned out great i'm so lucky cheers 4 takin 1 i wouldn't sell them for £1000000000000000000000000000000000000 (work out how much that is in dollars urself) can't wait 4 the dvd 2 cum out any1have any idea when thats out?? i;d spend my last pennies on it

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:25 am 

Hi everyone, long time no see. I'd like to announce my self and friend Chris for central scrutinization. Our podcast is

http://twitter.com/realitymusicsho.

If you don't like me dancing in front of you, please do not listen. Thanks. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.

P.S. What's this? http://www.killuglyradio.com/tag/zappa-forum/
P.P.S. Never mind.