Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Opening bands
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:31 pm 

73/05/04 toronto canada maple leaf gardens... opening act: mahavishnu orchestra<br><br>75/12/05 london arena, ontario canada..opening act: Myles & Lenny...(pretty sad)<br><br>88/03/25 uniondale ny  nassau coliseum... opening act:hot tuna<br><br>73/03/24 san diego sports arena...opening acts: ruben & the jets, doobie bros <br><br>84/?/? toronto with UB40

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:53 am 

In '69 or '70 i saw FZ at the Agrodome in Van., B.C. and the opening act was It's a Beautiful Day. Very strange pairing. White Bird in a Golden Cage......next thing you know it's Flo and Eddie singing about Coca-Cola douches. Saw FZ twice in later years with no opening acts.<br>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:30 am 

<br> 71 New Haven - Chuck Berry<br> 72 Waterbury -  Tim Buckley<br> 73 Waterbury -  Kathy Dalton<br> 74 Waterbury - Climax Blues Band<br> 75 Waterbury - it was either the cars or Boston - <br> 75 - New Haven - was supposed to be Leslie West but he cancelled at the last minute.<br><br><br> One note - I went to the University of New Haven.  In the sping of 74 they announced a concert FZ (as the opening act) and John McGlaution Orch (I know that's not how to spell it but you know who I mean).  It was cancelled before tickets went on sale.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:33 am 

<br> Correction - 75 Waterbury was Styx - those 3 bands sound the same.<br><br> Either Boston or the Cars opened for the 75 Waterbury show for the Kinks(School Boy's in Disgrace).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:51 pm 

I never saw an opening act for Frank, however, near the end of one of the Palladium, NYC shows I attended, Frank suggested that any audience members who were upset with the length of the concert could head uptown to the (Madison Square) Garden and catch the Grateful Dead because "they'll be playing for another four or five hours at least."

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:49 pm 

this says so much.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:55 pm 

<br> Styx, the Cars and Boston all sound the same

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:49 pm 

[quote author=Disco Boy link=board=concerts;num=1046924663;start=0#12 date=03/10/03 at 18:08:01]<br><br>I agree that Styx and Boston sound the same but not The Cars...<br>[/quote]<br><br>yea, the cars are from boston, i'd rate them a cut above styx/boston....maybe journey (sorry aynsley) could be lumped in there...just another another one of those bands with a one-word name<br>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:19 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:52 am 

In 1967 or 8 when Frank played in Baltimore, Buddy Miles played for an hour and a half in a four hour, four act show which Frank headlined.  When midnight rolled around, Frank was not finished the show, but the hall pulled the plug, but Frank got them back!  He turned on his own generators and finished up that song!<br><br>Then there was the Cleveland show in 1974 - the show that almost wasn't!  We left Chicago in a blizzard - the last flight out, but it was blizzarding in Cleveland so we were forced to land in Pittsburgh where they said the plane was headed back to Chicago and gave me a free voucher to return (good because I only had plane fare for the going portion!)  Before the plane could leave, it was blizzarded in there in Pittsburgh and we were all given room and food vouchers.  The next day, Frank decided to rent a bus and drive to Cleveland to do the show one day late.  The opening band was Manfred Mann, and I remember Frank actually coming out of the dressing room and watching Manfred Mann from the wings.  He seemed quite impressed with what he heard!  It was the end of the tour, and the Cleveland fans seemed happy he fought his way through lots of snow to play for them one day late.  The following day, Marty P. did quite some convincing to the airline folks to allow me to use my Pittsburgh to Chicago voucher to fly from Cleveland to Chicago instead - I mean did they want to fly me free back to Pittsburgh and then to Chicago?  Besides, it was now a shorter flight which should save them money!  It was a fun couple of days!   ;D<br><br>Oh, and I seem to remember Fleetwood Mac opening for Frank in Milwaukee in 73 or so.  Frank did not come out of the dressing room to watch them play.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:13 am 

[quote author=miss_polly link=board=concerts;num=1046924663;start=15#16 date=02/11/05 at 09:52:46]Oh, and I seem to remember Fleetwood Mac opening for Frank in Milwaukee in 73 or so.  Frank did not come out of the dressing room to watch them play.[/quote]<br><br>Which lineup was that? If it was the Green/Spencer lineup, I would've went, but if it was Buckingham/Nicks, I would've stayed in my dressing room, too. ;D<br>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:24 am 

The Milwaukee Frank show with the Mac opening had Ms. Christine playing keys.  Don't remember if Ms. Stevie was there as well, but it was early in Ms. Christine's tenure and wasn't that great a performance.  At least it wasn't the Mac tour with no original members, just the road manager, which I just missed at the Warehouse in N'Awlins and heard that everyone walked out and demanded their money back!  Miss P.  :-X