Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Opening bands
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:17 am 

In September 1978 Peter Gabriel opened for FZ in Bremen/Germany. The audience didn't like PG and booed him off the stage after a few minutes. FZ kindly didn't comment this when it was his turn. He was so professional!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:31 am 

Miss Polly once again!<br><br>How could I forget the 1974 Chalmette, LA (just outside of N'Awlins) show at the Civic Arena in which Tom Waits was the opener.  Waits must have been booed at a previous show because Frank asked the audience to give Tom a chance before rendering judgement, and the audience was very good to Mr. Waits, clapping not booing.  For this particular show, the promoter boo-booed and didn't read the rider correctly - he forgot Frank's coffee, so Frank dispatched Mr. Waits and myself across the street to the local donut shop for 20 coffees and a dozen donuts for yours truly, Miss Polly.<br><br>Also, Johnny Winter had invited Frank to visit Studio in the Country in Bogalusa, LA the day before - he sent around a limo to take Frank into the country, and Frank reciprocated by inviting Mr. Winter & his entourage to the show the next evening.  It was pretty weird watching Johnny and crew who looked to be on downer type drugs nodding in the wings of the theatre, while Frank and his crew jumped around on stage (all Frank's coffee contributed to the mood, I'm sure!)<br><br>After the show, I took Mr. Z and crew to Cafe Du Monde and Frank liked their coffee & chicory so much he took two thermos fulls black - no au lait - back to the hotel.  It was a memorable time with Mr. Z and company!<br><br>Happy V. D.   :-*  It's the one day of the year (Feb 14) one can say that with only a glimmer of a smirk & smile!

Post subject: re: opening bands
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:29 am 

[quote author=miss_polly link=board=concerts;num=1046924663;start=30#32 date=02/14/05 at 07:31:08]Miss Polly once again!<br><br>...so Frank dispatched Mr. Waits and myself across the street to the local donut shop for 20 coffees and a dozen donuts for yours truly, Miss Polly...<br><br>...I took Mr. Z and crew to Cafe Du Monde...<br><br>Happy V. D.   :-*  It's the one day of the year (Feb 14) one can say that with only a glimmer of a smirk & smile![/quote]<br>and a happy v.day to you miss p...got any photos from those times you can share ?<br><br>15-jul-74, st. bernard civic auditorium, chalmette, la, 115 min, aud b<br>w/ hurricane brass band *<br>
  • cosmik debris
  • pygmy twylyte
  • idiot bastard son
  • cheepnis
  • montana
  • dupree's paradise incl:
    • whippin' post
    • bye bye blackbird
    • sweet leilani
    • hava nagila<br>
  • penguin in bondage
  • t'mershi duween
  • dog meat
  • rdnzl
  • village of the sun
  • oh no
  • son of orange county
  • trouble every day
  • camarillo brillo
  • apostrophe*

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:37 pm 

Sorry - I didn't get my camera act together until much much later - 1990 to be exact.  Wish I had shots, particularly of me - Miss Polly and Mr. Waits trudging off to the donut shop for the coffee and donuts.  Too bad, so sad.  :'(   But the pictures are certainly in my head and have remained there since that interesting day and night!  Thank you Frank for some wonderful times!

Post subject: re: opening bands
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:19 pm 

[table][tr][td][center]oct-09-70 florida state univ, tallahassee[/center][/td][/tr][tr][td]Image[/td][/tr][/table]