Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:09 am 

Why not have Ike Willis, Ray White, Napoleon Murphy Brock, Motorhead Sherwood, Ruth Underwood play in this band? Why no one who played with Frank? They would know this material! Is it because they think there might be "issues" brought up by fellow sidemen? Hmmm, oh well, a ZFT-sanctioned trib band must be pretty good....but did they have a falling-out with Mike Keneally? Perhaps I am drudging up too much. i'd be happy to see this, no matter who was in the lineup. Play on, chaps! ;D

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:14 pm 

Where did you find the news of this at?<br>Thanks<br><br>Oops, I found it, maybe same one you saw.<br><br>http://www.uaudio.com/webzine/2005/April/index3.html<br><br>and<br><br>http://www.uaudio.com/webzine/2005/may/index3.html

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:26 pm 

I am expecting that there will be ex Zappa Alumni as guest on ocasions!<br><br> As much as I admire the work and artistic results of many Zappa Alumni past and present I can understand that "Zappa plays Zappa" very well may not  focus on a Zappa Alumni touring ensemble.<br><br>I feel quite confident that Dweezil and Ahmet will bring the goods so to speak... And it very well may be that touring with a core lineup that never shared the stage with Frank is what is needed for various reasons.<br><br>One reason that I see most fitting is how Dweezil and Ahmet put there own stamp on things and how this core band relates to what defines Zappa for both Dweezil and Ahmet.<br><br>As I think back to the many problems that many band members had with following a given clonemeister when Frank gave teh rehearsal reins to Arthur Barrow or Scott Thunes it makes me realize that band problems are only teh crux of the buscuit.<br><br>I mean no disrespect to Arthur or Scott it is just that I use this as a point as to where the band must beleive 1,000 % of it's leader.<br><br>I could see how some ex band members sooner or later may feel that they know too much of there own opinion on what they think should go down and that this could lead to problems just as problems arose in the past. <br><br>As much as many ex Zappa alumni are realy fine musicians I think that a core band of peope who have never played for Frank may have musicians streching the envelope with there talents just as every Zappa band had accomplished.<br><br>As I had said I still envision guest musicians who were Zappa alumni but for now from what I have read I can understand it. <br><br>Anthing is possible and the Zappa brothers could deliver a great show just by themselves with tapes but I think they have something up there sleves that will be one for the ages.<br><br>If anyone here knows what they are capable of they should check inside themselves and see the posibilities.<br> <br>The time may come when the brothers Zappa tour with a core lineup of Zappa Alumni but for now whatever they choose I am Eyes and Ears!<br><br>  

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Post subject: re: z play z band lineup
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:18 pm 

fz alumni would probably have a hard time with anything more challenging than muffin man, unless they've kept up with their chops & rehearse for 3 months; thunes hasn't played for years, same with ruth; but how many more tix they'd sell if ruth agreed to do a couple of songs for a few shows...same with the nyc boys from the ziny band - brecker bros, cuber, malone, jobson & pardo<br><br>any early mothers still on good terms would probably butcher the later material [exception: g duke & maybe dunbar & ian u.]<br><br>a big yes on a flo 'n edward show...a huge no on thana harris

Post subject: Re: z play z band lineup
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:29 am 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=concerts;num=1115732614;start=0#10 date=05/11/05 at 21:18:44]fz alumni would probably have a hard time with anything more challenging than muffin man, unless they've kept up with their chops & rehearse for 3 months; [/quote]<br><br>I hardly think that this outlook is worth a grain of salt. While any given musician may have had good days and bad days in their recording career when I think of the long long list of pretty good musicians who have recorded with Frank my last thought would be weather or not they would be up to the task of performing well on a given night. <br><br>For one thing a so called core lineup would somehow need to be commited to a tour and as Frank had always talked about when selecting a new band member his selection process included weather or not they had what it takes to be on the road in his band. <br><br>I most certainly think there is a long long list of Zappa alumni who are quite capable of playing Zappa material but Zappa plays Zappa may very well be about something that is totaly different than what the average perception of an existant catalouge is.<br><br>I think all the major building blocks of what makes up the DNA of a Zappa experience is so much more important than how many Zappa Alumni is part of a core group.<br><br>Frank always got his musicians to push the envelope. There are so many musicians who never had the chance to go through that process and it may very well be so much more adventurous to get musicians who are not only commited to the process but have never been there. <br><br>Once again I look forward to seeing  Zappa Alumni get involved at some point at some level but whatever the Zappa brothers build for Zappa plays Zappa is fine with me. <br><br>

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Post subject: re: z play z band lineup
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:08 pm 

[quote author=trendmonger link=board=concerts;num=1115732614;start=0#12 date=05/12/05 at 07:29:06]...I most certainly think there is a long long list of Zappa alumni who are quite capable of playing Zappa material ...[/quote]<br>poot forth that long long list

Post subject: Re: z play z band lineup
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:55 am 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=concerts;num=1115732614;start=0#14 date=05/13/05 at 00:08:39]<br>poot forth that long long list[/quote]<br><br>Frank had hired hundreds of talented musicians. The list is a long long list. Each individual brought a certain talent to the table adn whatever his or her abilities may have been one constant is that Frank always got a musician to "push the envelope". Working for Frank Zappa was like going to school. He woud  get you to put the "eyebrows on it" or add a bit more garlic and cayenne peeper.<br><br>For me I have no negative energy to place on any one of the these  musicians weather they can or can not play anymore, may or may not have the road worthiness or are more likely to go off on a drug binge and miss a gig. <br><br>In my opinion there are many musicians on that list that can perform zappa repretoire but my gut feeling is that for this venture a new core group of individuals who never went through that process is something I would not only look forward to but also be adventurous.<br><br>If you need names on the list I'll say any living person on that list could contribute in some manner. So could tapes.<br><br>I,m eyes and ears to what Gail, Dweezil & Ahmet produce for they know what is best.<br><br>     <br>

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:15 am 

These days I am finding myself listening to a lot of Project/Object and can't get enough of that band's material. I saw them last Fall and more recently saw Ike with his own group and these guys are amazing, I think. There is a show trading about that included Don Preston and it is incredible. Ike and Napolean are amazing. If P/O is not touring at the same time these guys would be at the top of my alumni wish list.<br><br>In any case, whatever band the Zappa brothers put together for this tour, I will certainly not miss it. I do also look forward very much to the next time P/O plays out here in the West too.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:29 pm 

all this wild speculation !<br><br>its makin' me HOT

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 7:32 pm 

agreed, there's not a fuck of a lot of bands playing zappa; dweezil is probably best qualified to put one together... a well-rehearsed band with guest alumni appearances would go down quite nicely, even flo & eddie<br><br>dr. noomies short short list is reasonably accurate [add wackerman]; but mann, fowler bros & the 88 horn section are marginal without intense rehearsal time re-learning the material

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next