Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:08 am 

I read on the web that the artist, "Keith" of 98.6 and ain't gonna lie fame toured with FZ's 73 lineup as a singer.  Has anyone heard any recordings?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:02 am 

Quote:
geo:  in the early 70's, did you record a single with frank zappa called: 'in & out of love' for his discreet label? how did this recording come about?<br><br>keith:  a song done originally by bobby vinton. frank wasn't on that recording, but yes it was on his "discreet" label and produced by denny randell, who was, writing wise, responsible for many of the "four seasons" hits. frank started his own label and signed me as an artist.<br><br><br>geo:  i understand that you were part of zappa's touring band in 1973. how did you join up with frank?  how was this tour?<br><br>keith:  the vice president, and dear friend, of my management in n.y.c (lenny stogle associates) zack glickman, had left and gone to the west coast to work for herb cohen .he managed linda ronstadt, tom waits and frank zappa. zack brought me into the band when mark and howard (of the turtles fame) left to do their own thing. it was a blast working with the likes of ruth and ian underwood, and a baby george duke and the fowler brothers and of course frank. he was a wonderful man
<br><br>hmmmmm.....no foolin....<br><br>from the geo sound interview

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:28 am 

[table][tr][td][quote author=jimmie d link=board=concerts;num=1126879713;start=0#3 date=sep-16]...Line-up 4a...<br><br> ???[tt]. . . . . . . . . . . .[/tt]<br>Line-up 4b...[/quote][/td][td][sup][tt]  .....  [/tt][/sup][/td][td]
Quote:
<br>...zack brought me into the band when <br>mark and howard (of the turtles fame) <br>left to do their own thing. it was a blast working with the likes of ruth and ian...<br><br>
<br>[/td][/tr][tr][td][sup][tt]  .....  [/tt][/sup][/td][td][sup][tt]  .....  [/tt][/sup][/td][td]translation: keith [aka james barry keefer] auditioned for zappa's band and failed miserably[/td][/tr][/table]<br>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:38 pm 

I just can't hear him singing More Trouble Every day and pulling it off...Then again...could Frank pull off 98.6????........with his floss tied behind his whipping post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:40 pm 

Baby George Duke???