Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:20 am 

Hey all --<br><br>I've read far and wide, and wide and far...but am too lazy to search the list archives, dontcha know ;D ...<br><br>Can anyone puhleeze tell me why Ike was not on the 1981/82 tours?  He was on all studio material recorded then...so what was the prob?  I have heard that Gail didn't want him on those tours or some such thang -- is this true?  And if it is, what was her issue with Ikey-pooh?<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:47 am 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=concerts;num=1062436857;start=0#1 date=09/01/03 at 10:32:27][center]<br>Ike says it was Gail, but I don't know why she didn't like him.[/center][/quote]<br><br>Sorry, Jimmie D -- but I just have to do it --<br><br>So Ike would say to Gail:<br><br>Why don't you like me?<br>Am I really that bad?<br><br> ;)<br><br><br>One of the things that I don't quite get about that reason is that Ike was on the studio material recorded during his tour absence.  So she liked him just enough for FZ to use him on shit between 12/80 and 6/84, but not enough to do a short stint Fall '81 and the Euro Disaster '82?  So I guess Ikey was cool for '78, '79, '80, '84, and '88...good thing, huh?  ???<br><br>And no undue disrespect to Gail, but I didn't know that FZ had to check with the missus to ok the touring band.<br>(Also, knowing this, why didn't she shitcan Ray White for his flakiness?  Perhaps that would become more apparent later on...)<br><br><br><br>He ain't oxygenated...<br>His nose ain't deflated...<br>But he didn't look good to Gail?  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:54 am 

Ike Willis wasn't in the '81/'82 band because Gail didn't like him? Hmmm, I doubt  ??? Ike Willis and his wife Denise are friends to the Zappas, this sounds unlikely. Have you read the IW interview? There's a link somewhere on this forum.<br>That said, I have no idea why he was not in the band. Maybe he was busy working on a personal project?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:14 am 

He had the clap at that time  ???

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:57 am 

[quote author=ike willi(am)s  ;D link=board=concerts;num=1062436857;start=0#6 date=march 2000]q: even after you had established yourself in the band you still had to audition before every new album or tour; did this offend you? <br><br>[font=arial black][sub]Image[/sub]ike[/font]: No, i didn't mind, i was never turned down. In '81 & '82 I didn't go on tour so I could have kids and start a family, but I did the albums.[/quote]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:02 pm 

Ah yes...the familial reason.  And now that you put that up, of course, I remember reading that somewhere!<br><br>And it makes the most sense, as well   ;)<br><br><br>Our loss (imagine hearing Ike on the 81 boots and YCDTOSA 5 disc 2!!!) must be the Willis' gain.  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:11 pm 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=concerts;num=1062436857;start=0#8 date=09/01/03 at 15:09:27]<br><br> A fan had asked him why he didn't make Halloween '78, and Ike responded that he "and Gail Zappa had a fight." Ike was absent from the line-up from 14 October thru Halloween.<br><br><br>You knew that this one was coming, right?<br><br>That was in fact, the very next thing that I was going to ask...why the hell wasn't Ike there for the Halloween shows?  Funny, huh?<br><br>So...again...Ike had a fight with Gail, which resulted in him sitting out the rest of his very foist tour?  What kind of shit is that?  ???  :)  He was so bad that he had to go sit in the corner?  What could such a fight be about?<br><br>I s'pose ya hadda be there...too bad Ike wasn't.<br>