Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Jean Luc Ponty
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:46 pm 

Did he tour with Zappa after Overnight Sensation?

Post subject: Re: Jean Luc Ponty
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:55 pm 

according to these guys, no, only for 9 months in '73<br><br>http://home.swipnet.se/fzshows/FZShowsoverview.html<br><br><br>
  • The Mothers Of Invention Feb - Sep 1973,  <br>FZ, Jean Luc Ponty, Tom Fowler, Ralph Humphrey, Ruth Underwood, Ian Underwood, George Duke, Bruce Fowler, Sal Marquez (late Mar - Jul), Kin Vassey (4/7/73-5/1/73). <br><br>
  • Mothers Of Invention Oct 1973 - Mar 1974, <br>FZ, Tom Fowler, Ralph Humphrey, Chester Thompson, Ruth Underwood, Napoleon Murphy Brock, George Duke, Bruce Fowler, Jeff Simmons ('74 dates only)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 6:41 pm 

[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=concerts;num=1049517991;start=0#2 date=04/05/03 at 20:17:52]...go up the register on his solos and play cliches that were designed to get him laid after the show....[/quote] i think i read that in one of his books, but he was talking about bad guitar players & how they end their solos on a 3-note ascending pattern ???<br>

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:39 pm 

Hmmmmm......Interesting where these threads can lead  ;) Anyway, I think I read somewhere that JLP is the only person that Frank actually disliked (if not despised) out of all the musicians he worked with--that's saying something! Supposedly it had something to do with Mr. Ponty's overall attitude, but there must have been sumpin' else that made FZ come to that opinion. Yet again, hmmmmmm...........

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:18 am 

[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=concerts;num=1049517991;start=0#2 date=04/05/03 at 20:17:52]I've always wished FZ had done more with Ponty, or at least incorporated more violin in his rock band music. [/quote]<br><br>Sugarcane Harris' sola on Directly From My Heart To You is so far the only violin solo which made me consider buying the instrument, moreover, I think it's one of the best solos in the Zappa catalog, if not in the history.<br><br>I believe I read it in the forum that JLP was asking for credit on the composition of the songs for his solos. This may not be the only reason for dislike. Nevertheless, I would recommend King Kong for alternative versions of Zappa songs and some real cool solos from JLP.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:16 am 

Ponty played once with the Mothers in Paris in 1970, and then toured the whole spring-summer '73.<br>In my opinion his violin solos were very good (maybe too much resembling one another).<br>IMO the main reason for FZ anger at Ponty was that he wanted royalties for his solos that were going to be included in FZ outings from the '73 tour. That's why we don't have official releases witnessing that tour.<br>Maybe this anger was behind FZ's classification of Ponty in the volcano soloist category together with Alan Zavod.<br>

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:20 am 

Another little thing, I noticed nobody in this thread mentioned Eddie Jobson.<br>It is true that the only Eddie's solo that has been officially released by FZ was a keyboard solo (I Promise Not ...), but his violin solos made the Black Napkins played on the '76-'77 tour the best ever (always IMO).<br>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:56 pm 

Maybe Frank just couldn't get along with "fiddle" players...<br><br><br>I recall him not caring too much for Jobson, either.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:15 am 

[quote author=dove_grey link=board=concerts;num=1049517991;start=0#6 date=04/07/03 at 02:39:15].... JLP is the only person that Frank actually disliked (if not despised) out of all the musicians he worked with--that's saying something! Supposedly it had something to do with.........[/quote]the guy didn't shower enough ;D<br>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:05 pm 

. . . you'll smell like a native for a couple-a weeks . . . <br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 6:54 pm 

Eddie Jobson was also not very popular with the members of YES. Jobson was in YES for only a brief fleeting moment. Long enough for a rehearsal and long enough to take part in the video for OWNER OF A LONELY HEART. Jobson's playing never found its' way onto any YES albums. <br><br><br>And speaking of FZ and violins...Gotta love Sugar Cane Harris on LITTLE HOUSE I USED TO LIVE IN.

somehow...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:56 am 

I saw Ponty live on stage in Paris a few years back (1999?). Probably the most boring concert I've ever seen  :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:11 am 

I also love 'Cane's solo on Gumbo Variations; what a MEAN tone . . . kinda like a harmonica player thru a green bullet and a tube amp.<br><br>Who is playing violin on Revised Music from Studio Tan?  I know JLP did a version on HIS album, but the player is uncredited on Studio Tan and Lather.<br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF