Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Questions for Flo
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:15 am 

I don't want to seem like such a "big man" as to think I deserve a whole post, and I never even thought I would be on here more than once...but I am and here I go. <br><br>So give me a moment to answer the questions from the "Band Lineup" post, and feel free to ask anything else of me.  I will answer to the best of my recollection.  It has been fun to think of all these stories...and it makes me think maybe I COULD write a book.  I thought about writing a book once but when I finished, it was 22 stories oabout groupies, gangbangs and sex.  It didn't seem like that would be interesting to people who want to know about music.<br><br>Be back shortly<br>Flo<br>

Post subject: Re: Questions for Flo
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:20 am 

[quote author=Flo link=board=concerts;num=1117736102;start=0#0 date=06/02/05 at 11:15:02]I I thought about writing a book once but when I finished, it was 22 stories oabout groupies, gangbangs and sex.  It didn't seem like that would be interesting to people who want to know about music.<br><br>Be back shortly<br>Flo<br>[/quote]<br>Hey, when we aren't playing music, those ARE our other interests.  ;D<br><br>The difference between us is not very far...<br>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:26 am 

Flo!!<br>Of course you deserve yer own thread. Thanks for hanging out with us freaks here!<br>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:36 am 

[quote author=Flo link=board=concerts;num=1115732614;start=180#189 date=06/02/05 at 07:39:38]# 5 <br>Penelope wants to F*$@ the Sea was introduced by Joni Mitchell as a poem she had written that she could never perform, live or otherwise.  Joni was basically a real funny person.  I had lived up the hill from her on Lookout Mountain and knew her from our singer-songwriter nights in Laurel Canyon. [/quote]<br><br>I never would have guessed that Joni Mitchell was a funny person. THAT'S funny to me. ;D It's just not the image I have of her at all, but I guess the "earth mother obligation" kind of forced her to keep it toned down, image-wise. <br><br>(1) So these singer-songwriter nights-- that sounds like a creative good time. Did you all bounce ideas off of each other? What was a typical (or specific) singer-songwriter night like?<br><br>(2) I've seen you on the plane in the Alice Cooper video "Prime Cuts" during the Billion Dollar Babies tour. Were you one of their backup singer, their opening act, or just friends hanging out? Were you on the album? If so...details? Any stories you want to write about that-- I'm all eyes. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:38 am 

how about writing a book about the music but illustrating it with photos of the groupies and photos of the gangbangs thus appeasing both camps  ;D

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:03 am 

POST # 5 <br><br>Well the German was taught to us by a young girl who Frank hired <br>We did it up at Frank’s house and it really did create some special evenings <br>I can’t tell you just how much fun that was.  It was hard.  I failed Spanish twice and I come from a mother whose entire familia spoke Spanish fluently.  I actually was raised most of my grade school days by my grandmother who ONLY spoke Spanish, so imagine trying to learn German for a mind like mine.   It really was a hoot when we would travel through Europe singing that piece.  In most of the continent after performing that 20 minutes of music it would always receive a standing ovation.  I think most of the continent thought Frank was doing it as a slap at the Germans.  No way. Frank respected their history and I think he did it more out of the love of the challenge.  Here we were singing some of the raunchiest stuff in German and I must say I have German friends who said it was some of the worst pronounced German they ever heard. Still, today I find myself singing that piece  <br>Ich bin Der Himmel <br>Ich bin Das Wasser  <br>and so on. <br><br>I wish I could remember the girl’s name who taught us. <br><br>Did I listen to Frank's music after we left:  I must admit and I am a bit embarrassed to say that for the most part I did not. <br>We really were so busy trying to survive as Flo & Eddie that listening to music at all was not high on my list of recreational things to do and only in the last few years have I begun listen more.  I teach a music history course here in Nashville on the History of Popular Music from the turn of century until the 80’s and I have spent much more time listening to music.  I love the early Rhythm & Blues records of the late 40’s until the early 60’s.  To finish answering you, I loved the early years and I really wasn't that big of a fan of our era or after.  I have fond memories of creating the music but I did not and do not listen to it now.  Since speaking here on the site I have gone back and checked out a few things you have brought to my attention, but I have no Zappa on my ipod.  By the way I have no Turtles on my ipod either.  I do have all of the Flo & Eddie albums including our reggae but that’s it. <br>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:03 am 

Keith Moon was a great guy to be around.  He was always entertaining even though you always felt a bit sad for him.  He was always pushing it to the limits.  Let’s go back….We first saw the Who in 1965 or 66 when they came to the Brooklyn Fox theater.  They played 2 songs on that show and were joined by another band from England as well, Cream.  The headliners on that show were Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels and Wilson Pickett.  They used to change spots with Mitch closing the afternoon show and Wilson the evening.  The afternoon show Howard and I saw in the 1200 seat movie theater had about oh maybe 43 people there.  The Who had built up their name in England by destroying all of their gear at the end of  their show. The two songs were “I can’t Explain" and “My generation.”  Damn if they didn’t just kick the shit out of that gear, Keith would just throw it all over the place.  It made us wonder about the evening show.  How could they do this all the time.  We stayed and sure enough, they did it again. I remember Pete tossing his guitar about 15 feet in the air and just letting it land as it went crashing to the stage.  What a sound, what a show, What a band.  We would see them again in Los Angeles in 1967 when they came in to play “Tommy” in Hollywood at the Palladium theater.  I had dropped some Psychedelics that night and there were no seats.  I do remember , I think passing out for a moment during the “Listening to You I hear the music, gazing at you….." You know the “get the heat’ section.  It was awesome. <br><br>We would finally get to meet and hang with Keith during the making of 200 motels.  He used to carry around a portable 8-track player with the music he loved to hear, Beach Boys, Dick Dale, The Turtles…yes you heard right Keith was a big Turtles fan.  He loved any music that had harmonies shimmering through the song.  Keith could be so many people in the same moment.  He could carry himself like a British aristocrat and then in the blink of an eye get this crazed look on his face that seem to be from the Devil.  It was like he had broken something really important and through this devilish smile actually got away with it.  I would realize later when he got that look, you better look out.  We would work really hard during the day while making 200 motels we would show up at the set at 7 Am and work until perhaps 8 or 9 PM.  I was always beat.  I would want to just go back to the hotel we were all staying at and just crash knowing what was in store for us tomorrow.  NOT Keith.  He was always ready to just go out drinking.  He had a driver named Dougal who chauffeurred us everywhere and it wasn’t long before Keith, Howard and I would be off drinking in some town pub away from the set. Everyone seemed to always know Keith and after a few rounds the Keith Moon stories would come out.  “Oh remember the night…” Keith do you still have that gun… “  That’s nothing I remember….”  And on and on.  Keith would just sit quietly and listen like they were all talking about someone else and he would laugh and drink.  Howard and I would always leave before Keith did usually arriving in the wee hours getting a short kip before having to return back to the set.  I don’t think Keith slept at all that week we made the movie, yet he was always there and having a great laugh about it all.  I could write so many pages on this guy but needless to say our friendship would later include singing with him on his only solo effort, “Two Sides Of The Moon,” We did that record with Keith ..Twice and worked with the late great Mal Evans who produced the first version.. They both are gone now and I really can’t begin to say more about what darling men they were.  For all of the shortcomings they both had, I loved them both very much, and miss them.  I also remember a great night at Morgan Studios in the outskirts of London, with Keith, Harry Nillson, Marc Bolan, Alice Cooper, Klaus Voorman and Danny Hutton, I think.  Whoa, I wonder where the tapes of those songs are.  I think Tony Visconti might have them. <br><br>I think we didn't discover the life inside The Paradisio until our Flo and Eddie daze..er...days.  I think we actually played a concert there. <br><br>Yes the VPRO concert was great to do and was actually the reason we would first join The Mothers.  I don't think I ever saw it.  Is their any copies of that floating around? <br><br>By the way did I mention the twins from Memphis...Ah life is good. <br><br>Your reluctant servant <br>Flo<br>

Post subject: re: questions for flo
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:12 am 

[quote author=flo link=board=concerts;num=1117736102;start=0#7 date=06/02/05 at 12:03:45]...Yes the VPRO concert was great to do and was actually the reason we would first join The Mothers.  I don't think I ever saw it.  Is their any copies of that floating around? <br><br>By the way did I mention the twins from Memphis...[/quote]<br>excellent stories, flo; and vpro is definately floating around, we can surely fix you up with a copy if you want.<br><br>no, you never mentioned the twins from memphis ¿¿<br>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:29 am 

Mr. Flo,<br><br>Thanx for the memories and the hours and hours and hours of listening pleasure you've provided me.  I can't even guesstimate the time spent listening JUST to the verse on BTM that begins with: "His peculiar attire."  It still gives me goosebumps 25 years after I first heard you guys sing it. <br><br>I think the Turtles "Battle of the Bands" album is one of the most creative pop records ever: the music, the cover, the concept, the humor in all three: PRICELESS. "The U.S. Teens featuring Raoul" pic is in heavy rotation as my pooter desktop background.<br><br>If any of you freaks only have the CD, go to the Turtles website to see the original cover.<br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:33 am 

The wonders of the internet: How do we know that Flo is Flo?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:54 am 

[quote author=Lumpy Gravy link=board=concerts;num=1117736102;start=0#13 date=06/02/05 at 14:35:56]<br><br>We just know, dude...[/quote]<br><br>Seriously: HOW do you "just know"??? (note that I want to believe myself, of course.)<br>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:00 pm 

I don't know. But, just in case, I wanted to thank him. 8)<br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:01 pm 

[quote author=Flo link=board=concerts;num=1117736102;start=0#0 date=06/02/05 at 11:15:02]I don't want to seem like such a "big man" as to think I deserve a whole post, and I never even thought I would be on here more than once...but I am and here I go. <br><br>So give me a moment to answer the questions from the "Band Lineup" post, and feel free to ask anything else of me.  I will answer to the best of my recollection.  It has been fun to think of all these stories...and it makes me think maybe I COULD write a book.  I thought about writing a book once but when I finished, it was 22 stories oabout groupies, gangbangs and sex.  It didn't seem like that would be interesting to people who want to know about music.<br><br>Be back shortly<br>Flo<br>[/quote]<br>Hey, Flo! Do ya think you can answer this burning question:<br>Do You Remember Anything About the making of a Just Another Band From L.A or Fillmore East double album?<br><br>Your responce would be greatly appreciated!!!!!<br><br><br>--Fredo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:15 pm 

Well of course you deserve your own thread!  By and large, people hang out here because we are interested in preserving the history of Frank Zappa's music and career.    We all love his music to a point that we fetish every little detail of what went into it.   Having someone who was a part of his band is as direct a source as a fledgling history could hope to find!   Anything you have to say, we are here to document.<br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:36 pm 

It sounds like a kick-ass book.   YOu should do it.    you've posted an excellent chapter already! I enjoyed the Keith Moon story, the description of the eyes.  Leave that in if you write it.   <br>I understand what you are saying about listening to other people's music, being a musician and composer myself, oftentimes there is no time to devote to anyone else's music.  (and why bother when you can make what you want to hear yourself anyways?)  For myself, Zappa is always able to cut through though.  <br>It's funny other people have this Earth Goddess image of Joni, to me there are a few songs in that vain, and the rest are just about herself and her relationships.   Sense of humour?  What about the line of "Under the table he picks up my scent while he's watching the waitresses legs!"   <br>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:27 pm 

[quote author=Flo link=board=concerts;num=1117736102;start=0#6 date=06/02/05 at 12:03:13]POST # 5 <br><br>Well the German was taught to us by a young girl who Frank hired [/quote]<br><br>Maybe you could talk to the Zappa brothers about having a German Lesson on Stage as part of the show?<br><br><br>While I did have a German Girlfirend back in 1976 who taught me some of the German vernacular it was Frank Zappa's One Size Fits All and Joe's Garage that I must say hightened my interest in the German language.<br><br><br>I was fortunate to sing the German Verse of <br>"Stick it Out" on MTV OCt 31, 1981.<br><br>The scene of me singing Stick It Out was used as an MTV Commercial for that evenings live show.<br><br>The Halloween late show was the first Live show for MTV. MTV had only started a few months earlier and I don't think the had any idea when they got Frank on board.<br><br>MTV had requested that I do an interview for them where they asked me what my favorite Zappa song was and if I though Frank would be performing it that evening. <br><br>I informed the interviewer that most of the people who came to these shows were not hit minded individuals but that if they wanted I could sing them a tune of what they may expect.<br><br>I proceded to sing and conduct some of NYC finest Crazy Type Persons into a Street Rendition Of Stick It Out(German Verse). <br><br>My atire for the evening was a woman's size 3 Spandex Jump Suit, Pumpkin Orange Socks with Clashing Brown Shoes Don't Make It and a painted Zappa Jacket. The Spandex Jump Suit was Purple with Silver Racing Stripes down the sides. <br><br>Very Disco 1978 look with the clashing shoes was quite the joke to pounce out disco organs. I had designed the outfit from a Oct 27, 1978 early show version of The Yellow Snow Suite where for audience participation Frank had us pounce out Disco Organs. We pounced and we pounced again.<br><br>The outfit was  Sort of a 1981 version of Sophia Warren. <br><br>Artis The Spoon Man who was on hand was amazed by this performance. After the taping I was talking a bit with Nina Blackwwod  who was just as much the bouncy personality that she was on screen. Frank had a field day with her as she interviewed him just before the show.<br><br>Zappa Halloween 81' is one of the alltime gems of Franks performing career.<br><br>Hopefully you and I will have a chance to do some german sometime. <br><br>Since your venturing out into the Zappa relm if you have the time stop by at the Warren Cucurullo Website.<br><br>We'd love to have you on board.<br><br>www.cuccurullo.tv<br> <br>      <br>

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:16 pm 

Flo,<br><br>I was so very happy when you signed up. The period where you made music with Zappa is one of my all-time favourites! I really appreciate the fact that you're doing this for all us Zappa freaks, it's great.<br><br>Now for my question.<br><br>What was it like filming 200 Motels? For example, how was Frank as a director? What did the band and cast members think of the film? How did everyone (primarily musicians, not actors) feel about acting out Zappa's absurdist script?<br><br>etc...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:19 pm 

Hey Flo - remember when the stage collasped here in Cincinnasty?  ;D<br><br><br><br>Image

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:08 pm 

Flo-<br>    You joining our little forum here is most definatly a HUGE treat for us fans!!  Thank You!!     \m/8)\m/

Post subject: re: questions for flo
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:37 pm 

speaking of german & vpro....here's a question from an old thread:<br><br>1) is the zappa story true ¿<br>2) if so, any bearing on your "sieg heil" - vpro performance ¿<br><br><br><br>[font=arial black]re: the "sieg heil" story ?[/font]<br><br>[quote author=dwarfnebula link=board=legends;num=1038658734;start=15#15 date=04/21/03 at 18:47:57]Zappa was VERY cynical at times, but some of you here seem to forget that. Not that we're different.<br><br>I have this from the web:<br>"Zappa entered the stage and started yelling "SIEG HEIL" and continued repeating it. The zappa fans was a little bit confused, some went away and others stayed. A couple of thousand zappaheads answered "SIEG HEIL" with their left hand raised. Zappa said: "I dont like nazis" and went off the stage.... <br>Gamle Posten (runeeb@telepost.no)"<br>http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/zappa/stories/concert.html ...<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=legends;num=1038658734;start=15#23 date=07/30/03 at 00:51:37]<br>just saw a video of call any vegetable 1971 VPRO, and flo shouts out 3 "sieg heil's" about midway thru the 2.5 minute clip...anyone seen this ¿<br><br>[/quote]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:36 pm 

Go with the Flo!<br><br>Enjoying your writings from Turtle Island.  So happy together.  Keep up the good vibes!<br><br><br><br>