Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Questions for Flo
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:51 pm 

[quote author=Flo link=board=concerts;num=1117736102;start=0#6 date=06/02/05 at 12:03:13]POST # 5 <br><br>Well the German was taught to us by a young girl who Frank hired <br>[/quote]<br>Is it true that the dutch version was translated by Jim Pons who happend to be of dutch origine...Ik ben het water...ik ben de wolken...(the dutch version was sung in Rotterdam nov. 27 1971)<br><br>[quote author=Flo link=board=concerts;num=1117736102;start=0#7 date=06/02/05 at 12:03:45]<br>Yes the VPRO concert was great to do and was actually the reason we would first join The Mothers.  I don't think I ever saw it.  Is their any copies of that floating around? <br><br>Your reluctant servant <br>Flo<br>[/quote]<br>Sadly enough the VPRO TV re-used the film tape for economical reasons. <br>But gladly enough there is a very good FM stereo broadcast recording.<br><br>18-Jun 1970, Uddel, Netherlands <br>45 min, FM, A+/A <br>Live at the "Piknik" show, VPRO, Dutch Television. <br>Interview, Wonderful Wino, Concentration Moon, Mom And Dad, The Air, Dog Breath, Mother People, You Didn't Try To Call Me, Call Any Vegetable, King Kong<br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:19 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=legends;num=1038658734;start=15#23 date=07/30/03 at 00:51:37]just saw a video of call any vegetable 1971 VPRO, and flo shouts out 3 "sieg heil"s about midway thru the 2.5 minute clip...anyone seen this?<br>[/quote]<br><br>This performance is from a VPRO documentary from 1970. The concert footage is from Fillmore West summer 1970. Some of this footage also appear in the Story of 200 Motels.<br><br>VPRO TV Fillmore West 1970<br>Image Image<br><br>Image Image<br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:55 pm 

Hello Mr. Volman thank you! For being here!<br>Starting by saying thank you for making me laugh and feel better when I listen to your songs with Frank Zappa. Excitement comes from thinking about hearing you play live with return of sons of Frank Zappa.<br>I have short questions.<br><br>1. Will you and Howard Kaylan sing songs you not sing with Frank Zappa before? Harmony of the two makes me think of so many songs that would be great with the voices you have.<br><br>2. Why you and Kaylan-san not play with Frank Zappa in 1988? You practice with Frank Zappa then gone before concert!<br><br>3. Are you kidding?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:16 am 

[quote author=Ronnys Noomies link=board=concerts;num=1117736102;start=15#29 date=06/03/05 at 08:12:29]Hi Flo. Apparently you two have been confirmed to participate in the Z Plays Z tour in Europe! Did you know? Better start going over those old lyrics and dusting off those old melodies!![/quote]<br><br>http://tickets.royalalberthall.com/season/production.aspx?id=5273&src=t&monthyear=11-2005

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:59 am 

YI-YA!!!!!!! ;D ;D<br><br>So now that we know you'll be at the Royal ALbert Hall, are you a part of the band throughout the tour, or just for certain shows?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:59 am 

[font=arial]If yer showin' at the Manchester Apollo, maybe I'll even buy yez a drink! <br>Poo-aah . . . [/font]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:03 pm 

Hello Flo, God...it's like talking to Uncle Frank himself!! Just Another Band From LA was one album I least liked until about two years ago. I can't tell you why, but it is one of my favorites right now!! The album always puts a smile on my face when listening to it, and I listen to it at least twice a month! ;D I also loved reading the Keith Moon stories..... He has to be one of best drummers ever. I hope you do tour with the Zappa brothers, and hope you continue with the tour in America! Doesn't Ahmet act a bit Moonish to you?? Bless you and the years to come. 8)<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:14 pm 

Thanks for talking to us Flo. I was wondering if you could talk some about Billy the Mountain. How it came about and what it was like performing it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:19 pm 

That was answered here MG:<br><br>http://www.zappa.com/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=concerts;action=display;num=1115732614;start=169#169<br><br>Most of the original responses were in that thread, this one was made to separate it from the Zappa Plays Zappa discussion.<br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:01 pm 

About all the John/Yoko debate.  I do recall an interview where Zappa stated that years later he found out that it was a management/record company foibler that had nothing to do with Lennon/ono.   Apperantly they made up.  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:09 am 

POST # 6 <br>Those nights were kind of special or sickening, depending on how you saw that type of stuff.  Everyone would congregate at Joni’s place on Lookout Mountain.  It was a small wood house about three houses higher up the hill than where frank actually would live when he took over the stronghold at Lookout and Laurel Canyon.  I think it was the Tom Mix house.  He was a Hollywood cowboy actor who specialized in B movies.  Frank lived there about the same time as Joni had her place.  Every person at the house would sing a new song they were working on.  You might see Gram, Jackson, Steven and others passing the guitar around just singing a new song.  I was not in this group of folks as I am still waiting to find my song-writing stride. But I enjoyed the food and the pot that was shared. <br><br>Flo & Eddie were the opening act on the entire Billion Dollar Babies tour. We did not sing with the group during there show but would later sing with Alice on several albums. <br><br>Lets try and catch up I have heard about stages collapsing around me several times  I do remember one.  Was that Cincinatti?  I wish I could recall. <br><br>I also can’t remember the Sieg Heil stuff, but I am sure that it was possible.  You must remember we were there to entertain and shock people.  That was the M.O. Shock, Shock, Shock.  In Europe what would shock a German fan more than anything? Yeah you get it, the Sieg Heil Stuff.  It was never meant to start a fight just shock people. <br><br>I think we only did a small amount of recording with Frank in an actual studio, Chunga and the over dubs on Motels, the cartoon stuff and much of the backgrounds. Everything else we did live.  Frank recorded every show and what you got on Just another band was just that a live concert for posterity.  The fact it was live made studio stories very slim and mostly none.  It always revolved around us on stage.  Great album though.  Loved the blending of old and new stuff that record had.  <br><br>What Fillmore double album are you referring to? I only remember Fillmore east 1970 being a single record.”  Help me. my mind is frying if.  It was two? <br><br>Really good stuff on Joni,  Noah.  That’s a great line to single out. <br>I know there are more lyrics that need to be looked at by her.<br> <br>200 motels was a project that needed more time.  I know you all know about us doing that in a week but you cannot imagine how fast that is when you’re in the middle of it.  It was so chaotic and just a whirlwind of learning it while shooting it.  The process was just unbelievable.  Frank did a great job directing us through the characters he envisioned us being.  I think frank was always fighting Tony palmer about the visuals, And what Tony wanted it to be <br>I think in the end Tony would have liked to have his name taken off the film. Back then the film was fun to watch.  I have tried to watch it recently and it was hard ...Nay…Impossible <br>I think I suck in the film and I hate watching me trying to be an actor.   Howard does a good job and he should be an actor  <br>I think my lips move when everyone else is speaking.  I was not a good actor and I will not admit I did it except to you all <br><br>Jim Pons was Dutch , born Dutch.  But he did not speak Dutch at all. <br>He would not have been able to transcribe anything let alone that piece of music <br><br>I want to reiterate NO matter what anyone tells you This is me…Flo <br>I think that we live in a non-trusting society and your skepticism made me and my wife laugh.  Would someone really lie about being Mark Volman?  I think you might pick someone else wouldn't you? <br><br>This is me: MARK VOLMAN: A founding member, lead singer and manager of "The Turtles," who continue to tour over 70 concerts a year.  Their song "Happy Together" has just received a BMI award for 8 million radio airplays.  Mark is a member and conference attendee of National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences and Music and Entertainment Industry Educators Association, as well as consultant for professional musicians.  Mark has a Bachelor Degree in Communication Arts and a Masters of Fine Arts.  He was a member of the Loyola Marymount University faculty from 1997 - 2004.  Areas of specialization: music business, recording arts.  He has also been a member of Los Angeles Valley College faculty in the commercial music program.  This upcoming semester he will begin teaching at the Mike Curb School of Entertainment and Music Business in Nashville and is currently an artist in residence at Lee University in Cleveland Tennessee. <br><br>Also <br>We have NOT confirmed the tour and I complained about them using us in the Albert Hall ad.  WE are NOT confirmed.  I hope they do confirm us so we can begin to get on with what we are going to do if we do it.   I promise you I will let you know as soon as I do. And it will be listed on The Turtles site.<br>If it doesn’t happen just look... It was because of us maybe doing this that I am writing this....You guys and gals are great.  I wished I had done this before <br><br>-Flo <br>It's Saturday here...I 'm really tired today.  Spent  yesterday at the university and my Post shows my exhaustion <br> <br>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:16 am 

[quote author=Flo link=board=concerts;num=1117736102;start=30#40 date=06/04/05 at 14:09:06]POST # 6 <br>Those nights were kind of special or sickening, depending on how you saw that type of stuff.  Everyone would congregate at Joni’s place on Lookout Mountain.  It was a small wood house about three houses higher up the hill than where frank actually would live when he took over the stronghold at Lookout and Laurel Canyon.  I think it was the Tom Mix house.  He was a Hollywood cowboy actor who specialized in B movies.  Frank lived there about the same time as Joni had her place.  Every person at the house would sing a new song they were working on.  You might see Gram, Jackson, Steven and others passing the guitar around just singing a new song.  I was not in this group of folks as I am still waiting to find my song-writing stride. But I enjoyed the food and the pot that was shared. [/quote]<br><br>Nice!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:18 pm 

Thank you, very, very much for these posts, <br>Mr Volman !!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:35 pm 

[quote author=Flo link=board=concerts;num=1117736102;start=30#40 date=06/04/05 at 14:09:06] I want to reiterate NO matter what anyone tells you This is me…Flo <br>I think that we live in a non-trusting society and your skepticism made me and my wife laugh.  Would someone really lie about being Mark Volman?  I think you might pick someone else wouldn't you? <br><br>This is me: MARK VOLMAN: A founding member, lead singer and manager of "The Turtles," who continue to tour over 70 concerts a year.  Their song "Happy Together" has just received a BMI award for 8 million radio airplays.  Mark is a member and conference attendee of National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences and Music and Entertainment Industry Educators Association, as well as consultant for professional musicians.  Mark has a Bachelor Degree in Communication Arts and a Masters of Fine Arts.  He was a member of the Loyola Marymount University faculty from 1997 - 2004.  Areas of specialization: music business, recording arts.  He has also been a member of Los Angeles Valley College faculty in the commercial music program.  This upcoming semester he will begin teaching at the Mike Curb School of Entertainment and Music Business in Nashville and is currently an artist in residence at Lee University in Cleveland Tennessee. <br><br>  <br>[/quote]<br><br>i do believe that flo is seriously, most assuredly, NOT KIDDING !!!!     ( i never doubted you for a moment, flo ) <br><br>in all seriousness, i've very much enjoyed reading your posts,   mr. flo..   keep it up!!   you've made the users of this site seriously euphoric...   and i am not kidding.<br><br>ree ( marc ) < seriously<br>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:46 pm 
Banned

Flo,

How did the Charles Swenson movie Cheap (The Down and Dirty Duck) come about? Whose idea was it for you and and Eddie to do the score on that movie? What did you think of the project, anyhow?

:?:

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: re: questions for flo
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:52 pm 

more more more....
  • do you remember any other  notable audience members at the garrick shows ¿<br><br>
  • any chance of eddie making a cameo appearance here ¿ <br><br>
  • what did frank pay in the fillmore days ¿
    • what did he offer for the '88 tour ¿ [optional]
[hr]<br>the fillmore double lp is mostly speculative rumor...<br><br>biffy the elephant shrew
Quote:
Zappa did have plans for a double-LP version of Fillmore ... it would have included "Billy the Mountain" from the Fillmore (presumably the same version that's on Playground Psychotics) and the John & Yoko jam on the other two sides.
<br>[hr]<br>Image

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:34 pm 

Thanks for taking the time!  I enjoy 200 Motels a lot, but I see how it should have been made over a longer period of time.   I  think the soundtrack is much better than the film, (How much did it suck to have Simmons quit right before it started?   Your take on that situation would be muchos apreciated.   You've mentioned he was the funniest person you knew, I can imagine what a drag that whole situation must have been.)   I think Howard's verbal spewage at the end of Magic Fingers and the finale were especially interesting.  Those little diatribe's were improvised right?<br><br>The singer/songwriter nights are too fucking funny!!!!  They sound way too much like a cheesy hollywood version of that time!   Would everyone clap at the end of songs, or just snap their fingers!!!!  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:20 pm 

[quote author=Noah link=board=concerts;num=1117736102;start=45#47 date=06/04/05 at 23:34:58]The singer/songwriter nights are too fucking funny!!!!  They sound way too much like a cheesy hollywood version of that time!   Would everyone clap at the end of songs, or just snap their fingers!!!!  [/quote]<br><br>Hey, tell us about your party here, Noah. What version was this one?<br><br>[quote author=Noah link=board=general;num=1044744473;start=495#500 date=05/27/05 at 02:15:42]Image[/quote]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:27 am 

Hollywood would never release anything I was a part of! ;D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:39 am 

About your performance in 200 motels, I never thought it was bad acting at all, what I did feel (maybe I'm wrong here!)  was that Frank was trying to make you and Howard look so stupyfied about the insanity (and monotony) of life on the road.   Especially during the Centreville sequence, the cheesy Robotic numbness comes to full fruition!  <br>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next