Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Questions for Flo
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:38 am 

POST # 7 <br><br>Well Hello on this beautiful 88 degree day from the Nashville country. <br><br>Really great morning at church and I feel rejuvenated to try and continue this Q & A.  I have some great friends and their families coming to dinner tonight and I have made a great Skirt Steak recipe that Howard and I have whenever we play The Westbury Music fair. We go eat at Frank’s Steaks on the Jericho Turnpike.  They serve you a 22 oz skirt Steak that has been soaked for 24 hours.  I am making that today having soaked the steak in a mixture of Worchester, Soy and Duck sauce for 24 hours. Grill about 7 minutes on each side and serve with a primavera pasta vegetarian style and a crispy pear salad with Vidalia onion and apple dressing. Thanks to Nick and Richie for the receipe. <br><br>Okay <br>I think you know that “Eddie are you kidding” was created as a parody of the commercials that were running on TV in LA at the time. It usually started with Howard, Jeff and I asking Frank whether he had seen the spots and if he hadn’t we would reproduce the commercial live for him.  It always made Frank laugh watching us performing the spot live and it would be a matter of time that he would conjure up a song for us to perform.  He would throw it all together, the song, the story and our live acting and we had it.   <br><br>Eddie was the owner of a Clothing Store and he did the Zachary All commercial staring yes (you guessed it) a guy named Eddie who pitched the cheap clothier just the way you hear it.  I believe John Seiter from The Turtles happened to be at the rehearsal with us and he was part of the songwriting or performance that day.  That song, like many was a constant work in progress growing every night and never really performed the same way.   <br><br>“Magdalena” is a brilliant piece of music.  One of the finest works we did with Frank, co-written by Howard (Eddie). This is Howard Kaylan at his most brilliant.  That speech he gives in the build up part during the Roy Orbison section is just a wonder to behold.  I think Howard is most responsible for the greatness in this song.  Frank brought a good song, a really cute song, that turned into an absolutely great drama featuring a symbolic incest speech that just kicks ass.  The acting that Howard does over our 4-seasons Walk, Walk, Walk, Walk on back section just could not be any better.  I love this song so much.  A haunting piece of music.  Another one that just grew and grew every time we did it. <br><br>“The Dirty Duck” Project actually started out being a Cheap little Movie and finished up that way.  Chuck Swenson was the animator of the cartoon section in 200 Motels.  He wrote, and directed the Dirty Duck project for Howard and I based on the characters that we sort of created in 200 motels in the cartoon section.  Chuck sold the idea to Muracami-Wolf-Swenson for us to do.  It was a natural continuation for us to voice it and write the songs.  The songs would never make it to a Dirty Duck album but several did appear on our Illegal, Immoral and Fattening album.  We used the songs “Cheap,” “Livin in the Jungle” and “This Could Be The Day.”   In Fact the Drummer on that project, Craig Krampf who played with us in Flo & Eddie is one of the people coming for my great Skirt Steak tonight.   <br>Check out Craig’s site http://www.craigkrampf.com.  He played and wrote hit songs with Nick Guilder, Steve Perry (Oh Sherry), Kim Carnes and he won a Grammy for Flashdance.  An exceptional drummer and a truly great guy and friend for over 40 years.  For you collectors, Craig was the drummer in the mid 60’s for a group called The Robbs.  They were on “Where the Action Is” all the time.  He is the cousin of the Robb Brothers who own Cherokee Studios in Los Angeles.  I was the guy who turned them on to there first amile-nitrate in a Vicks nose inhaler just as they were about to play a show as The Turtles opening act.  What a hoot.  I saw the Robb’s last week and we laughed about that night so much.  <br>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:39 am 

The Dirty Duck opened the door for us to eventually work with Chuck Swenson on Strawberry Shortcake and other animated stuff.  Chuck would eventually write and direct Feivel for Disney and work on the Mutant Ninja Turtles TV shows. <br><br>I love the Duck and it was always fun working with great voice people on those projects.  The funniest guy on that project was a guy named Robert Rigely.  He was a good B actor type who did a lot of TV.  He was so funny and really had a dirty mouth and mind.  We would do all these animation stuff with Bob.  He was the voice of the Purple Pieman in the Strawberry projects.  He would always break up everyone in the studio when we voiced the stuff.  All of the woman involved, Luarene Tuttle, Russi Taylor and the others would just die laughing when Robert would be singing some kid friendly song and he would just put a big C*$@ on it at the end of every line until people would just die laughing.  You would be aching all over with Bob.  A really wonderful guy.  Bob is no longer living and I wish he were.  He really was a great guy to keep everything loose in the studio.  We ended up working on a bunch of stuff with him and he was a really talented guy. <br><br>In answer to any other notables at the Garrick, I am sure that when a show ran everyday for at least 6 shows a week many people who you might call notable would come.  Being that we only dropped in when we were on tour we only saw about 4 or 5 (maybe 6) shows and we hardly knew what a notable person looked like.  <br><br>As far as if Eddie showing up here on the forum, I am not able to answer that.  I will let him know I've been talking to you and maybe he'll check it out.  I can't promise anything.<br><br>I have always tried to maintain a certain business confidentiality about what I was paid not just by Frank but all of the notable artists we sang with: Bolan, Moon, Springsteen, etc. I would do the same if we sang with you.   Let’s just say for the time it was considered decent pay.  Frank did not favor anyone.  He paid everyone the same, I think. You know as musicians I think we were always happy when we received a raise and as soon as we did we wanted another one right away.  I think we did fine with Frank. <br><br>Those singer-songwriter nights sound goofy but I gotta tell you the talent in those gatherings would shape the history of Rock and Roll for the next three decade and even today.  The songs that were played in the living room were the same songs that got those people in to the rock and roll hall of fame and I, for one, wish I could claim any of the royalties that have been made from those evenings.  <br><br>When Jeff quit I think we all went into shock.  I, for one, felt the entire room deflate.  I think you need to know that the dialog that we were reading for the part that really upset Jeff came from a cab ride we had just had about two days before.  I had taped the entire conversation about Jeff quitting and Frank being to old and how we should collect money to buy him a watch on my Uher tape recorder.  I played the whole thing for Frank.  He laughed at it and did not take any of it seriously.  I think he wrote it into the script because it was all happen so fast for him and he needed help.  Here it was real dialog he could just transcribe and use. <br><br>I think Martin did a good job under the circumstances and we were fortunate that he played Bass as well.  Frank eventually replaced the bass with him playing it on the soundtrack record.   I have never seen or heard from Martin Lickert since the movie premiere on London. <br><br>See you all this week sometime <br>Got to get the grill ready <br>-Flo<br>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:11 pm 

[quote author=Flo link=board=concerts;num=1117736102;start=45#52 date=06/05/05 at 14:38:50]POST # 7 <br><br>“Magdalena” is a brilliant piece of music.  One of the finest works we did with Frank, co-written by Howard (Eddie). This is Howard Kaylan at his most brilliant.  That speech he gives in the build up part during the Roy Orbison section is just a wonder to behold.  I think Howard is most responsible for the greatness in this song.  Frank brought a good song, a really cute song, that turned into an absolutely great drama featuring a symbolic incest speech that just kicks ass.  The acting that Howard does over our 4-seasons Walk, Walk, Walk, Walk on back section just could not be any better.  I love this song so much.  A haunting piece of music.  Another one that just grew and grew every time we did it. <br><br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Mark , I have a recording of you and Howard and Frank at a radio staion with Frank talking about one of you reading The Hobbit by the Tolkien and  Eddie writing Magdalena. You guys procede to perform it with what sounds like beer bottles and ash trays for percusion.<br>Any recollections on that?<br><br>BTW , you guys were in Cincinnasty playing a JEWISH festival at Burnet Woods when the stage collapsed right brfore you went on. Then i went down to WGRR and brought you donuts a few months later and you signed the picture - saw you many times here in Blue Ash - few years ago you played before Mark Farner.<br><br>Anyway always enjoyed you greatly but was wondering about the Magdalena spot on the radio.<br><br>ps - hope your food was as good as it sounded.<br><br>Image

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:40 pm 

[quote author=Flo link=board=concerts;num=1117736102;start=45#52 date=06/05/05 at 14:38:50]“Magdalena” is a brilliant piece of music.  One of the finest works we did with Frank, co-written by Howard (Eddie). This is Howard Kaylan at his most brilliant.  That speech he gives in the build up part during the Roy Orbison section is just a wonder to behold.  I think Howard is most responsible for the greatness in this song.  Frank brought a good song, a really cute song, that turned into an absolutely great drama featuring a symbolic incest speech that just kicks ass.  The acting that Howard does over our 4-seasons Walk, Walk, Walk, Walk on back section just could not be any better.  I love this song so much.  A haunting piece of music.  Another one that just grew and grew every time we did it. [/quote]<br><br>I've always thought Magdellena was brilliant, too. To the best of my recollection, it is still the only Sea Shanty Operetta that I've ever heard. ;D<br><br>I've always wondered...was the Canadian Incest storyline based on something that was in the news at the time or did it just pop out of your imaginations?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:17 pm 

Heya Flo! How was your dinner? Sounded deelish! I'm watching TV and an ad for Coldwell Banker just played....with Happy Together in the background! Every time I hear Hungry Heart, I hear you and Howard doing background vocals, and can't stop from smiling!I happened to see some of the VPRO doc and really enjoyed the concert footage--were Dweezil and Moon shy little kids or did they open up if they felt comfortable enough? I read Pamela Des Barres' books and understand she entertained Keith Moon at the little house she stayed in out back. The children did'nt seem to be shy of Mr. Moon--how was he as a person? How was Miss Pamela --- or any of the other GTO's, if you remember?<br>                            Glad you are here at the Forum, sir ;D One more question, if you don't mind. I won't ask what went on between you, Gail and Frank during your Thai lunch--that's your memory. I understand it was a few weeks before he passed, but did he actually eat anything? And I know this sounds odd, but what did he have for lunch? I have read he enjoyed spicy food, so Thai sounds like a good choice for him! Thanks for answering any queries!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:08 am 

I didn't mean to devalue those nights, as I've stated I do love Joni, I just like to poke fun at things.   'tis my nature!   <br>What about the whole Dental Hygiene Dilema/ stealing the room segment.   What is the true story behind that?<br>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:15 am 

Wow, this is the first time I've checked back here in several months (I've been very busy working full time and studying hard), and what do I find? Flo's great posts and news of the Zappa Plays Zappa tour!<br><br>Mark, welcome, and thank you so much for your stories. It is really great to get some insight from someone who was an importand member of Frank's bands. I have no questions at this stage, but I know I will continue to enjoy your posts.<br><br>Oh well, back to the books, but I'm going to make sure I check back in here more often!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:39 pm 

What a great topic this is.  Really enjoyed reading through all of it.<br><br>Don't really have anything to add other than I'm a fan of your brief work with Ray Manzarek on his second solo album in the 70s.  Great, very underappreciated stuff!  8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:11 am 

Hey Flo! Nice to see ya on here. I'll keep it short: What's on yer iPod?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:55 am 

The entire Flo and Eddie output apparently!<br><br>I admit (abashadly) that I have never heard any of the FLo and Eddie albums, though I have heard many times from mulitple people on this forum praises of the Battle of the Bands album.  Is it also a favorite of yours, and, for someone who has yet to discover your music, where should I start?  Get them chronologically?  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:19 pm 

POST # 8 <br><br>I do not ever remember the Zappa boys being shy.  They were always given a lot of room to just do what they wanted and they were good kids.  I never remember them being kids you wished were not there.  They always entertained themselves and let the grown-ups do their business.   <br><br>That last Thai dinner was fun.  The worst part was after I mentioned the place; Frank was really up for going down to eat.  We drove to the Thai-Bar-BQ on Ventura Blvd., and after perusing the menu we might have ordered about 6 or 7 dishes for the 3 of us.  The sad part was once the food came Frank really began to get tired.  We had them pack it all up and we headed back up to the house.  I noticed he had become really weak and went off to the bedroom to sleep.  I think Gail and I ate and visited.  I always got along fine with Gail and she and I speak today from time to time just to visit.  She is a tenacious, busy person and I always thought her and Frank were great parents.  They always looked after the kids and let them aspire and do things when they wanted to.  They weren’t the normal run of the mill family, but there was always a lot of love in the house. <br><br>I think my favorite song was “Daddy, Daddy, Daddy” or “Tears Began To Fall.”  These were just great pop songs and Frank wrote them with Howard and I especially in mind.  I think there was a bunch he wrote just for us but these two really had the two part harmonies and they just rocked. ”  I also loved singing “Charleena.” <br><br>The funniest was “ Don’t Tell Me No Babette.”  This was the song about the customs dog who had discovered the smell of Hash on the private parts of the rock star after he had received a B*&@ job from an aspiring groupie the night before.  Pure silliness. <br><br>Frank never went out drinking with us, I do remember when he would have a small drink that he had a fondness for, I think it was Ouzo.   Frank was not a drinker and he was not a user of dugs of any kind.  He was against us using any, too, so if we did, (which we did) we did not flaunt it or make it an overbearing thing.  I think the thing that people are most surprised about was that Frank was not a user.  Frank could reach levels of creativity that most rock stars could only dream about.  I think the word artist and genius is used way to easily with musicians and when I hear it used for people from the 60’s, I snicker.  In my lifetime I was blessed to get the chance to meet and hang with many musical artists.  In my opinion, Frank Zappa was the only genius I ever met.  He was an amazing person to be around when he was creating shit.  He just had the right amount of seriousness that he was able to combine with his sense of humor and his work ethic was just amazing.   <br>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:19 pm 

We had a great time doing the Ray Manzerak albums. Ray is a good guy and a really good blues musician.  I always felt sorry for those guys after Jim died. Howard went to school with Ray and Jim at UCLA.  Actually Howard had a Radio show as “Howie the K,” on KBRU, the college station.  We loved the Doors.  They were good guys and we recorded our album “Happy Together,” at Sunset Sound at the same time they were working on the first album.  We asked for them to play as our opening act at The Whiskey A-GO GO and they went on to open for us many times at many different shows.  Ray was always a great friend and stayed so after Jim died.  When Jim died the group did the “Other Voices” record and some of the critics were ruthless and some a bit kinder but I always felt that they took a lot of heat because people thought they should just quit making music after Jim died.  I always respected them for the choices they made at that time.  Jim was a big part of their group but not the only one, maybe not even the most talented one.  During that time they would travel with us through Europe as our opening act.  We loved the Golden Scarab project and worked on that as well as “The whole thing started with Rock & Roll.”  Ray was a really funny guy and one of the smartest, kindest fellows you could ever meet.   I have some great interviews with Robbie, Jon and Ray we did for the Flo & Eddie radio shows. <br><br>“Stealing the Room” was an inside joke based on the true story of being a musician on the road.  I had this desire to own credit card signs from all over the world and when we would check in to a hotel I would get some really nice ones.  Also hotel keys from Europe in those days were really stylized and huge.  The key would be attached to some great ornamental metal object.  I traveled with this stuff in my suitcase along with certain other items that we would find attractive that would not be missed.  I remember Jeff saying to Frank in an off the cuff way, “You ought to see what Volman has.”  Frank would then be led to the suitcase and laugh hi s ass off at the collection of hotel mementos we had built up.  Touring truly could and can drive you a bit wacky and that group was the height of wackiness in my mind. <br><br>On my ipod I have over 6500 songs. When a song starts I usually have to look at the title  because I have put on so many compilations.  I have a lot of everything.  Charlie Parker, Billie Holiday, Boston, Jackson Brown, Patrick O’hearn, Air, Blue Oyster Cult, Kinks, 600 songs of classic R&B and 50's, Eddie Cochran, Massive Attack, Gene Vincent, Bill Evans, The Music from Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Hair, Chicago, Beatles, Billy J. Kramer, Thunderclap Newman, Ozomatli, Kitaro, Oystein Sevag, P. J. Proby, Hall & Oates, Paris Sisters , Elliot Smith, Pat Boone, New Kids On The Block, Norman Greenbaum, Doobie Brothers, Moby grape, Duke Ellington, Marvin Gaye, Jonn Serrie, Kathy Young & the Innocents, Michael W. Smith, Hilary Stagg, Hans Joachim Roedelius, Gregory issacs, Bongwater, Bill Lloyd, Amboy Dukes, Deep Forest, Buju Banton, America and El Chicano just to give you an idea.  Zero 7,<br>If you don't have Turtles or Flo & Eddie I would recommend the "Battle of the Bands" and the 2 disc "Solid Zinc" CD's from The Turtles and I like "Moving Targets and the First "Phlorescent Leech & Eddie Record." <br><br>Best till Later <br>Flo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:49 pm 

Truely AMAZING stories Flo!!!! :o :o

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:53 pm 

If Mark/Flo keeps pumping this absolutely fascinating stuff up in just a slightly bigger way it ought to be edited into book form because of all the myth-dispelling, unanswered question answering, speculation flattening and fog-clearing it does.<br>Whew! Keep it rollin' and a-tumblin', Mark/Flo (& Howard if he will)! ;) Congrats and thanks!<br><br>Batchain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:14 pm 

Your Ipod selection sure is something else!!! (I haven't even heard of most of the stuff on there, which is always a good sign!!!!)  I love checking out what people listen to if they have diverse tastes.   <br>Have you heard the original Sharleena with Don Sugarcane Harris?  It is very different than the version you did, but certainly worth hearing, it is on the Lost Episodes cd.<br>What about the whole sequence of Jeff flipping out in the movie where you are voiced over trying to sober Jeff up.  Was this based on a specific incidence of psychedelic indulgence, or was it merely Zappa expounding on the enforced sobriety of the group?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:28 am 

Hi Mark, <br><br>I've been a BIG fan for 30 years now. I LOVE:<br><br> Flo and Eddie LPs (especially Marmondy Hill, Illegal, and Another Pop Stars Life)<br><br>Your work with T-Rex (especially The Slider, Mambo Sun, Planet Queen, Mystic Lady)<br><br>Your work with ZAPPA (especially Magdalena, Mud Shark, Billy the Mountain, Tears Began to Fall, and one of my favorite musical moments ever, Girls from all over the world ,flock to write my name on the toilet walls, oooffff ttthhheeee whiskey-a-go-go goosebumps!!<br><br>Oh how could I forget the Turtles (especially , Get Away, You Know What I Mean-best song ever w/o a chourus, She Always Leaves Me Laughing, Love in the City, Somewhere Friday Night, She's My Girl, list is endless...)<br><br>But my most treasured musical posession has to be :<br><br>A 10 cassette collection of <br><br>Flo and Eddie By the Fireside recorded in early 1981 -  I STILL listen at least once a year - <br>Blind Date!! <br> Obscure Record of the Week!!!<br> I absolutely loved that show<br>the music you guys intrtoduced me to , I will be forever thankful, <br>i.e Suburban Lawns, John Hiatt, Delta 5, Thomas the Rhymer, Stiff Little Fingers, Burning Spear, and a hundred others <br><br>THANK YOU!!!!

l)
l

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:51 am 

Who doesn't! When I was a little guy they were my favorite group!!!!  <br>I even quote Cover Girl in one of my songs!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next