Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:44 am 

*hey Jimmie*<br><br>how about answering that question MTF asked ?<br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:03 pm 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=concerts;num=1047578348;start=15#25 date=02/04/04 at 12:00:17]<br>Project/Object<br>featuring Don Preston, Ike Willis & Napoleon Murphy Brock<br>18 November 2003 (191 minutes) (over 3 hours!!!)<br>Alley Katz <br>Richmond, Virginia <br>soundboard master DAT (recording engineer: jimmie d) <br> [/quote]<br><br>Thanks jimmie!  just got back from New York today and just listened to most of the concert!  Thank you again and again this rocks so hard.  Plus what an original concert...so many amp malfunctions and odd song selections I love it.  Can't hear them say my name at the end but its all worth it to hear me yelling at the end of Black Napkins 'YEAH IKE!!!!"  thanks man, I really appreciate it!<br>-Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:01 pm 

Saturday was a fantastic show.  This was the first I had ever seen Project Object and I was completely impressed... the whole night was just amazing.  Insidious Rays were excellent as well!<br><br>Managed to take a few photos... once I get some more uploaded, I'll post em.  Here's one of my favorites<br><br>Image<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:14 am 

I was there on Saturday 10/22.  PM problems on this site prevented me from hooking up with anyone here.  I was the balding long haired guy! ;D (There were a few of us.)  I wore a blue long sleeved shirt opened to show you my chain and my Weapons of Mass Distortion P/O tour 2004 shirt and Jesus sandals with socks  :o; my buddy had a light blue Frank Zappa and the Mothers est. Cucamonga 1964 T shirt and wore a stocking cap most of the time (balding affects different people differently).<br><br>It seemed that Ike was sick or something.  I stood right in front of him for most of the first set and he was often  clearing his throat and sweating bullets.  I was very impressed with the way he "sang around" it by selecting other notes for melodies if they were too high to hit in his hoarsed state.  Eventually, I backed up; I was so close to the stage that I was only hearing the vocals from Ike's monitor.  The mix was better when I could hear it!<br><br>Ike has this really cool looking axe that seemed to be comprised of layers of different wood . . . even the neck! I think it said "Moses" on the headstock and I assume is a custom axe; it had a humbucker in back and a single by the neck (nothing in the middle).  I noticed that he (like me) has EVs in his JC 120.<br><br>Napi was in top form however.  My fav part of the entire night was a 3fer of his from Oz followed by Blessed Relief.<br><br>A woman from Oregon I saw out here in San Fran tap dance the Black Page #1 was also there from this coast.  She "danced like she'd never danced before" to Filthy Habits and I fell in love with her AGAIN (she's hooked-up with the drummer guys, so don't get your hopes up).  I requested BP, but she said she didn't have her tap shoes.  She said she now plays the quarter note pulse on finger cymbals as well as tapping.<br><br>The "new guy" (Sluggo) played the parts really well and is an excellent soloist.<br><br>But my favorite cat in the group (besides Napi) is Dave.  He is a great bass player.<br><br>I saw a guy in a red shirt that kinda looked like pics that Ronny has posted on the site, but his hair was shorter than the pics.  I wasn't sure how to contact yous guys, other than one of us posting our phone number on the site. :o<br><br>I didn't write down the setlist, but they opened with Zoot Allures and closed with Inca.  They did Lemme Take You to the Beach for the 2nd time in public.  Funny, because I used to play that tune when I was a teenager gigging in Oklahoma; a friend from Oklahoma met me in Chicago for the gig.  We had one of those "remember when" kinda things when they played it.  The munchkin vocals were accomplished electronically with Andre singing; it took about 1/2 a verse, but he got it figgered out.  They also played T&Beer, Catholic Girls, Son of Orange County, Peaches, Andy, IBS (god I love hearing Napi sing that), Drafted (like the single), Advance Romance, King Kong, uhh, some other ones.  EDIT: D'Oh!  I just saw Arkay's post . . . yeah, those were the tunes.<br><br>The "L" station on Diversey was closed for Northbound trains on the weekends, so I cabbed it around.  For future reference, the Days Inn on Diversey is a decent enough place to stay and it was only a $7 cab ride to the gig from there.  I got a BRUTALLY AWESOME pizza at (I forgot to take some matches) Renaldi's (I think was the name), which was right near the hotel on Broadway.  They had thin crust, "Chicago-style", and Sicilian style.  The waiter said Sicilian was their specialty and SON was it good, as were the buffalo wings (and I'm wicked picky about wings and pizza).  Not a bad place to stay if'n you ever go to Chicago.<br><br>VCF<br><br>Another Edit: Swifty, Echidna, and Dog/Meat on Friday? :'( 8)

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:23 pm 

VCF- I agree with you on the highlight of the night.  The 3 song OZ medley was out of this world.  I was just standing there digging every minute of it.  How Napoleon can dance and perform like that and still put forth a perfect vocal delivery is well beyond me!<br><br>And then, when I'm standing there completely blown away by it all, they kick right into Blessed Relief and it just sounded perfect!   :o<br><br>Apostrophe kicked all forms of ass too.  Jack Bruce who?  8)<br><br>What a show<br><br>

Post subject: Project/Object setlists
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:03 pm 

After reading VCF's review, I can hardly wait until Friday night in Bawlmer! I hope Ike is feeling better by then.<br>The tap dancing girly from Oregon performed her rendition of Black Page in the hallway during the break at the World Cafe Live in Philly; she cuts a mean rug alright. I can see why she made your heart thump!<br>It's too bad you Forum guys didn't meet...Martryrs is not that big. What, do you need a girl to ask for directions?<br> ;)<br> ;D<br>Daisy<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:04 pm 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=concerts;num=1047578348;start=30#37 date=10/24/05 at 20:18:01][center]<br><br>Click the link, below, to access mp3s of<br>Blessed Relief, How Could I Be Such A Fool, I Ain't Got No Heart, I'm Not Satisfied<br>performed 15 April 2005 at Martyrs' in Chicago.<br><br>http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/projectobject/files/15%20April%202005%20Martyrs%27%20Chicago/<br><br><br> 8)[/center][/quote]<br><br>Oh man.. thank you jimmie d!!<br> <br>Any chance the whole show will be made avaliable somewhere?  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:34 am 

I was standing in front of Ike, but on the Napi side rather than the Andre side.  I went outside to smoke b/tw the Rays and P/O so that's prolly why I didn't hear you call out VCF . . . dagnabit.<br><br>I might do this again if they don't come to the left coast next tour.  I spent about 6 hours on airplanes and in airports and my flight was $206.  It's AT LEAST a six hour drive to Los Angeles from Sacramento where I live and with gas prices, it would cost me about $150 in gas to drive to LA.  I figger I'd drive to LA to see P/O so it was kinda like that expense- and time-wise.  The only difference is that I know where some really cheap motels are in LA so the room woulda been cheaper . . . HOWEVER, it's hard to find good pizza (or hoagies) west of the Mississippi (Marios on 61st Street in Galveston, Texas is the ONLY good one I've found so far).  It was very much worth it.<br><br>So even if PMing STILL doesn't work the next time, if I decide to come out, we'll meet at Renaldi's (or whatever that pizza joint was called) before the gig cuz I'll stay at that same hotel.  Or maybe Daisy will come and help us break the ice. ;D<br><br>VCF

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:28 pm 

[quote author=Ronnys Noomies link=board=concerts;num=1047578348;start=30#40 date=10/25/05 at 16:51:09]<br>It's Ranalli's, and yes, it's good. Although I know a couple of better pizza joints. Next time, we'll make a point of it. Sorry we didn't cross paths. Another side effect from smoking.... JUST KIDDING![/quote]<br><br>I tried to quit smoking last week!  I didn't smoke from Monday 10/17 until 4 pm on Saturday when I got to Chicago.  The guy from Oklahoma smokes, so I bummed smokes from him when I was in Chicago.  <br><br>But I went back on the patch again yesterday.  The clock started ticking again . . . 1.5 days and counting.  I've gotta say that this Monday and Tuesday were easier than last Monday and Tuesday.  Hopefully, I won't be a smoker next tour. 8) (Insert pumpkin with its fingers crossed.)<br><br>VCF

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:35 pm 

What do I have to do to convince P/O to come to Toronto (and other locales in Canada)?