Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:11 am 

I have no problem at all with this forum.
I don't run it. I don't pay for it. Whatever the people who do pay for it want to do is fine by me.
This is just words on a screen, from people who, for the most part, live far, far away, and I will never have to deal with in the real world (unless I like them enough to make the effort).
I know Bonny (and others) get upset by some of what they read, but, really, to me ultimatly "it don't mean a thing".
I find all the different characters as fun and interesting as the Zappa info presented.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:11 am 

I haven't read most of this thread. Ive been avoiding it because I think it's pathetic. I do agree with Plook here and we all know how Frank felt about sensorship.,although I have 2 people on ignore. One was so obviously trying to offend in such an immature fashion I couldn't take it anymore, and another's posts are so damn long I just don't have the time to wade through them to get to the point. They are sooo long that they make it hard for me to get through some of the threads. That said, I dont think this person is an idiot and I do think he is intelligent, Im just way too A.D.D. for his posts. I need the cliff note version please. So the ignore button works for me to cut down on the excessive clutter, and then if I choose to read his comments I can do so with one click. He deserves to be here just as much as any of us. I dont agree with this thread and will ignore it for now on.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:17 am 

Thanks Doug and Cletus, I don't know much about forums, all info is good to me.

Agree with Doug about one thing, posters here are disembodied typists, andthey do me no real harm. Agree with BBP originally that being nasty for its own sake has no place anywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:46 am 

Plook might be surprised that I agree with a lot of what he's posted, but I do.

I'd be very much against heavy-handed censorship, as would most of Franks' fans. If we feel an album was weak, or a gig poor, we absolutely should be able to do so. Whether peoople like our posting style or not.

Abusing people to the point that they - or others- are driven from the site, isn't really promoting free speech now, is it?

I use several forum boards & none would allow the personal abuse that goes on here. That doesn't mean there's no differences of opinion, no arguments. It does mean that there comes a point where someone has to say "look, you guys clearly have a personal issue. Take it to pm, or get over it, cos not everyone wants to read the bile you're spewing"

I want to come here & read people's opinions about the music & all things Zappa. There's plenty other places I can go if I want to admire internet warriors.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:58 am 

I ignore what I want to and I read what I want to. And I think there is very little here I want to read anymore. Life moves on. I have fed my obsession with Zappa and had a great deal of fun. Had some real things happen good and bad. Mostly good. Zappa will always be a part of my life (if for no other reason than the fact that I am married to a Zappa person). I love the contradictions and richness of my life. I'll still drop in to check whats new, maybe post some pictures. But, that's about it. I was never enthralled with the trivia, the nuts and bolts approach to Zappa's music. I don't know enough about music to discuss it on a technical level. Perhaps after a vacation, I will be back. But, I have a lot going on in my life, best not to hang around too much. Have fun, kids!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:59 am 

you too Sabby.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:23 am 

I can only speak for myself..I come to this Forum when I am bored...I love Zappa and I guess I always will... I assume we all have that in common. For the better part I do like the characters that roam this site...I don't take this seriously and never will. Trendy is not on my ignore list (Nobody is) I do not use that function...I just scroll past any thing that does not suite my taste..Its that simple. I can take what is ever thrown at me...I just pick it up and throw it back. I always loved playing a good game of catch!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:58 am 

thepoodlebites wrote:
... Trendy is not on my ignore list (Nobody is) I do not use that function ...

Did you join this forum for the first time last year? I joined in 2005 and others have been here since 2002, which is when Trendy joined. Since I've been here Trendy has had some really bad periods where he went more nuts than usual and started many new threads and just got completely ridiculous, I have often tried to reason with him to no avail, so I gave up. I just got totally sick of him, which is why he's on my ignore list. I don't know if you knew Isaac either, he was much worse than Trendy if you can imagine that and with Isaac the ignore function was the only thing enabling me to continue to come here as it become very unpleasant. Ignoring someone is hardly censorship.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:23 am 

Let's all ignore Trendy by starting a thread about him that goes on for 6 pages :?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:31 am 

Caputh wrote:
Let's all ignore Trendy by starting a thread about him that goes on for 6 pages :?

This is true Caputh, but we just reached the word count of the standard Trendy post!!! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:50 am 

Which makes US Trendy :|

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:58 am 

Caputh wrote:

...the circle is closing in... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:25 am 

Plook wrote:
Caputh wrote:

...the circle is closing in... :mrgreen:

Will the circle be unbroken
Bye and bye, Lord, bye and bye

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:51 pm 

polydigm wrote:
thepoodlebites wrote:
... Trendy is not on my ignore list (Nobody is) I do not use that function ...

Did you join this forum for the first time last year? I joined in 2005 and others have been here since 2002, which is when Trendy joined. Since I've been here Trendy has had some really bad periods where he went more nuts than usual and started many new threads and just got completely ridiculous, I have often tried to reason with him to no avail, so I gave up. I just got totally sick of him, which is why he's on my ignore list. I don't know if you knew Isaac either, he was much worse than Trendy if you can imagine that and with Isaac the ignore function was the only thing enabling me to continue to come here as it become very unpleasant. Ignoring someone is hardly censorship.

Yes I joined about a year ago..In that year, I have posted approx 500 times. If I had been here as long as yourself that would equal about 2,000 post almost half of yours...I just don't have that kinda time nor would I want to! I did see Issac's post's. Again I can't even finish reading most of Trendy's drool. I just need a quick glance to see where his shit is going and if it doesn't appeal to me... I just scroll down to something else that is more appealing..Its that simple! As far as the censorship issue.. All your doing is censoring yourself from what you don't want to hear/read. So it is a form of censorship..Its like reading a book with a paragraph missing. In Trendys case a whole page. Masturbation isn't fucking anyone...Your just fucking yourself! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:57 am 

thepoodlebites wrote:
Yes I joined about a year ago..In that year, I have posted approx 500 times. If I had been here as long as yourself that would equal about 2,000 post almost half of yours...I just don't have that kinda time nor would I want to!
I'm not sure what your point is here.

thepoodlebites wrote:
I did see Issac's post's. Again I can't even finish reading most of Trendy's drool. I just need a quick glance to see where his shit is going and if it doesn't appeal to me... I just scroll down to something else that is more appealing..Its that simple!
This was the only reason I mentioned being here longer than you. Having done what you suggest for a much longer time period and come to the conclusion that the guy actually makes me sick, and I couldn't spare the time, I decided not to do it at all any more.

thepoodlebites wrote:
As far as the censorship issue.. All your doing is censoring yourself from what you don't want to hear/read. So it is a form of censorship..Its like reading a book with a paragraph missing. In Trendys case a whole page.
This is really stretching the meaning of the word censorship. To me censorship is about taking away the choices of others. If I personally choose to ignore Trendy it's not in any way shape or form censorship, just the exercise of my right to choose. I didn't leave comments in this thread because I agree with the thread title itself, I wouldn't have the front to tell anyone else who or what they should or shouldn't ignore.

thepoodlebites wrote:
Masturbation isn't fucking anyone...Your just fucking yourself! :mrgreen:
You've lost me here completely as in why you've brought it up and also I thought the meaning of the word masturbation was that you were doing it to yourself. If your point is about ignoring Trendy, then I'm not doing it to make a point to him, I'm doing it to save myself.

Last edited by polydigm on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:23 am 

A little light reading for y'all: The Evolution of the Internet Troll.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:59 pm 

I suppose whatever you think about Trendy he has become a part of forum culture. An example follows:

Caputh wrote:
You're welcome and I'm sorry if I went on too long (virtually Trendmonger length).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:14 pm 

thepoodlebites wrote:
I'm with Lumpy..(that sound's weird) But I choose not to ignore anyone. There is a serious side to this Forum and of course a humorous side..To me Trendy is in the later. There are definitely times when I just ignore all his bullshit..But at other time's it to irresistible not to respond. He lives to respond with his pompous attitude..It's like teasing a chimp at the zoo..Eventually its bound to throw some shit at you. I just pick it up and throw it back. Sorta like ping pong with shit! I laugh at most of these exchanges I really don't take this shit that serious like he doe's..The man has no sense of humor and it shows! So I guess I'm just the school yard bully with my adolescent jokes but.. The bottom line is that I am a huge Zappa addict and this forum is equivalent to a drug (Even my wife Say's I'm addicted) I kinda view Trendy as one of the drugs you were warned not to take. But I never listened then.. So why start now! P.S.. No chimps were actually harmed or teased during this post!

This is my earlier post...What else can I say?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:16 pm 

as they say on the reality shows:
"I'm not here to make friends." :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:46 pm 

It is apparent that it has become "Trendy" to post in this thread...hmmm... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:35 am 

I made the mistake of not clicking on the "I don't want to view this topic anymore" link, and when I looked, this was going on forever, it has sorta lost its point, right???

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:48 am 

tweezers wrote:
I made the mistake of not clicking on the "I don't want to view this topic anymore" link, and when I looked, this was going on forever, it has sorta lost its point, right???

Merely become more encompassing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:46 am 

just plain doug wrote:
tweezers wrote:

Merely become more encompassing.

We're trending towards growth...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:56 am 

polydigm wrote:
I suppose whatever you think about Trendy he has become a part of forum culture. An example follows:

Caputh wrote:
You're welcome and I'm sorry if I went on too long (virtually Trendmonger length).

Yes, we should put together a defintion of the word as noun, verb , adjective and adverb and send it off to OED or the US equivalent! :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:17 pm 

Caputh wrote:
polydigm wrote:

Caputh wrote:

Yes, we should put together a defintion of the word as noun, verb , adjective and adverb and send it off to OED or the US equivalent! :D

Tra-da-trendism

Noun – The trendmonger tends to defend ZPZ.
Verb - He trends towards defending ZPZ
Adjective – A trendy thing to do is defend ZPZ
Adverb- His defense trended to ZPZ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next