Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:17 am 

1972 Houtrusthallen The Hague, Hot Rats Orchestra...Zappa had his leg in plaster and we only saw his back because he was conducting...some short guitarsolos I remeber.<br><br>1973 Concertgebouw Amsterdam...Zappa wanted all the press photographers to take pictures at the beginning of the concert...the band posed in some stupid rock and roll positions..very funny that was!!!I made pictures of this show.<br><br>1974 Ahoy Rotterdam...I have the tickets in my scrapbook but I cannot remember it anymore...DAMN!!!!<br><br>1976 Edenhall Amsterdam  Zappa was dressed in a sort of green jumpsuit..Nappy had a mask on..Ilinois enema bandit...I made pictures of this show.<br><br>1977 Edenhall Amsterdam  this was the first concert I attended with my then future wife...Frank was surrounded by young guys..especially Ediie jobsons transparent violin i remember..and the quote "Pinky after the concert I am all yours", he said thet to a girl on the first row with a pink t-shirt.<br><br>1978 Ahoy Rotterdam...only remember Wild love from that concert...the song I mean!!!<br><br>1979 Ahoy Rotterdam  Well it is sad but I cannot remember this concert...I was there fer shure!<br><br>1980 Ahoy Rotterdam  very special concert because this was broadcast by Vara radio....great solo on Easy Meat..should have been released!!!!!<br><br>1982  Ahoy rotterdam  Zappa was very bad tempered during this concert (and during the whole tour) and was ill at the moment I've been told. He stopped the show after a girl throwed some tulips on the stage....my heart was beating in my throat...the band started exactly at the same moment they stopped...amazing!!! Zappa sat on a barstoolwith his back almost the whole show to the audeince.<br><br>1984 Ahoy Rotterdam  What I remember from this show is the pink t-shirt and a sort of puppet that walked on stage during cocaine decisions throwing packages into the audience!??! Can somebody please tell me what the *$##& that was????<br><br>1988 Ahoy Rotterdam 3 and 4 may...I remember the wonderful solo on Sharleena that got me floating above the hall...GREAT EXPERIENCE without drugs!!!!<br><br>1988 Gent Belgium  We sat in the park and saw the whole band walk by...we could not believe our eyes...later we heard Zappa and the band rehearse the bolero over and over again...GREAT EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:48 pm 

early 80's at the Pacific Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C.<br>the show starts and people on the floor rush up to the stage. the band is starting camirillo brillo (i think!?) and frank says 'this ain't no REO Speedwagon concert, you people go back to your seats. that's right, go trudging across the tundra, mile after mile, back to your seats'.<br>it was hilarious.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:29 pm 

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!<br>howdy neighbour=)<br>was the 1st song actually yellow snow?? do you remember??<br>saw FZ at the Forum in......early 70's?? flo and eddie period. opening act was it's a Beautiful day, go figure, LOL!  and at UBC War Memorial for the bongo fury tour. and of course at the coliseum WITH YOU!! LOLOL!!!<br>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:01 pm 

the Agridome!!!<br>yep, absolutely right. funny how you know these things, and i, who was there, do not. ahhhh...but there's a reason for that. =)<br>the Coliseum concert in 81? was Brilliant! still a highlight of my concert experiences.<br>josh: was there a show in 80 and 81????????? did i somehow miss Frank????

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:30 pm 

just the 3 times. didn't realize he'd been here that much.  :'(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 5:13 pm 

Wonderful   ;D<br><br>I wish unica had kept a diary though ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:44 am 

Hiho!<br><br>I just turned 30, so I only came tp see him twice.<br><br>May 1988, Mannheim/Germnay: <br>when we came in, FZ was sitting at the synclavier or so, tryin´to work something to it.<br>the place filled with folks, some of them tried to talk to him, he answered sometimes, but seemed to busy. then he left, heading backsatge. on the PA Ship Arriving Too Late... was running silently.<br>when they played walrus, and ring of fire as encore, many of us loughed a lot. when they played Peaches<br>we almost cried (this version is desperately missed from the 88 releases).<br><br>September 1992, Frankfurt, The Yellow Shark, 3rd Show - 10 Years from now!<br>This was the one you can hear the Intro on the YS-Album from. The one with the "secret word and the underpants. when Frank entered the stage, the crowd was fourious. he was walking very slowly, rumours<br>were around about how serious his cancer was, it was very moving. <br>te sound was fabulous. when the EM played the "hits" you could see delightened faces and happiness around.<br><br>the most amazing thing at both shows was the crowd. punks, teachers, kids,  from all classes, over all <br>ages came to see and hear THE MAN. this was unique...<br><br>HE IS SO MUCH MISSED!!!! FUCK!!!<br>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 7:50 am 

I got to see a lot of Frank's shows on the east coast. One great show was in Richmond, VA at the Colisseum in 74, with Chester Thompson & R.Humphrey on drums. Frank sat on a chair and cranked out some beautiful solos;Ruth was great as usual.They played PoJama People, It Can't Happen Herein Richmond,and told a story about a local pancake house. Another great show was May 74 in DC, 1st show. Dion was the opener,& no one would turn the lights down. He was heckled, booed and everyone was chanting ZAPPA,ZAPPA. Dion stormed off and gave us the finger "rigid &stiff". When the Mothers took the stage, FZ said they'd been on the road a long time and really needed this great reception. Wowie!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 3:47 pm 

One unforgettable moment was..at one of the halloween shows at the palladium 78 I believe. I was outside now waiting to get in the place..when an old white haired man at least 80 no shit...grabs my arm...remember as if you knew! That I was young in the city from long Island and this guy freaked me out!....so I said what do you want man?...He looked at me with a charlton heston in a Ten commandments type stare and said "you should'nt go in there"....I said "why not"?....so again.....and please try to imagine this correctly because I don't want no Fuck ups here!!.......So once again with that ole C.H in the T C type stare he says "You should'nt go in there because he (FRANK)...don't believe in god!"....tru b dat!.....So I sold my ticket to the next wino man and joined the priesthood as soon as possible in order to accelerate my rise to the top....of the balcony section H row ten or something similar!..Before going back home to the village of the damned out in back of brentwood where we wreaked of beer n spam! At one show a guy in front of me had a tank of laughing gas...and he kept standing up..and I kept pushing him back down into his seat.....five minutes later he was back up!! I did get to hear the music too.....would you like a reference? roll tape..................................

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 4:10 am 

<br>[quote author=EvelynamodifiedDog link=board=concerts&num=1030732151&start=0#5 date=09/03/02 at 15:48:48]<br>early 80's at the Pacific Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C.<br>the show starts and people on the floor rush up to the stage. the band is starting camirillo brillo (i think!?) and frank says 'this ain't no REO Speedwagon concert, you people go back to your seats. that's right, go trudging across the tundra, mile after mile, back to your seats'.<br>it was hilarious.<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>I saw something similiar...the band was really rocking and the audience was cramming up against the stage or trying to climb on....Frank finally said "Listen folks, I appreciate the rock 'n roll frenzy but sit the fuck down". When they wouldn't he signaled the band and they broke into a long dreamy laid back abstract instrumental which caused the stage huggers to gradually drift back to their seats and as soon as Frank saw that he signaled again and the band began to rock once more. It was amusing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 4:12 am 

I only saw two shows on the last tour.<br><br>At the Nassau Coliseum, Frank was playing a long solo (in what I remember to be "Inca Roads", but I'm not positive) and strung a series of notes together that turned me into one big goosebump. I started whooping and clapping in response, and got the whole arena to start applauding too. <br><br>One giant, tingly goosebump we were, out on Long Island.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:33 pm 

Fillmore East 12/70-Joni Mitchell joining The Mothers onstage,<br>6/71- the encore with John & Yoko, The Captain with the Bongo Fury tour (wherever the fuck that was)...<br>Always a treat seeing Frank.<br>Hobnobbin' with the Magic Band after a C.B. show at NY's Town Hall (Clear Spot tour). <br>Meeting Ian and Ruth outside NY's Academy of Music (at a Beefheart show). A limo pulled up with C.B. & the M.B. inside and Ian and Ruth jumped in. I later learned (in Zoot Horn's "Long Lunar Notes") that Ian was trying to join the Magic Band on guitar. THAT would have been interesting!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 4:04 pm 

I can't recall the year but I saw FZ in Pittsburgh, PA (USA)<br>just after a show before he got into his limo. He was almost timid! He took the time to autograph the back of my coat (big 4 in. letters) which goes with me to my grave!<br>He also kissed my hand...yes, I'm female ;).<br>I've seen several of his concerts but this time stands out in my mind. <br>(I miss Frank  :'( )