Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:26 pm 

Image Image Image Image Image Image Here's just a few that I shot!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:03 pm 

nice photos tpb, how about a no-holds-barred review of the show

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:04 am 

Great shots Mark !!! The DZ in black & white w/ Freak out shirt is fantastic... Awesome shot of SG also, I never can catch her right, she moves a lot! 8)

Truly exceptional pics !!

Hope you enjoyed the show....

I'm thinking TX run in Nov. (if I can get some funds together :P )

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:41 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
nice photos tpb, how about a no-holds-barred review of the show

Thanks guys on the complement on the photo's..I was very pleased with my new equipment (Shooting in the monochrome setting with sepia tone filters got some great results..I used to have to do that stuff in the darkroom but this new Nikon is fucking cool!) and yeah.. I was going to get around to review..Busy with the pics. Both shows were fun with Chicago edging out Milwaukee for sound and set overall. They both were way to short and felt hurried. The Chicago audience seemed more appreciative by their responses. No time for audience participation in either shows. I did feel that a lot of new people were exposed to Zappa and Dweezils intentions were met. I talked to many new and old fans during my long cigar breaks outside (Before and after the show) Most liked what they are hearing with a few like me.. Missing Ray White. I got to take my camera gear into Milwaukee and had pretty good seats. I was able to wander a little and got some great shots. Beers were four bucks and parking was ten bucks. The staff were friendly. For that I would go back to Milwaukee. Chicago only let small cameras in.(Pissed about that!) I didn't have as good of seats and they were more expensive.. Parking was thirty fucking bucks! Drinks were a bit more also and the security was tight (Fuck Chicago on that those parts!) I was disappointed and surprised that they didn't play Illinois Enema Bandit..It would of given a good chance to see what Ben could of done with that. Ben is a good singer.. He doe's a great job at several songs. But at times he looks like a roadie at the side of the stage. You can see he is loving what he is doing.(If he plays guitar..then play) They played Willie The Pimp in Milwaukee and I did not like it. It had mistakes..was short and the vocals did not fit. Ben should just sing it in a regular voice.. To much growling (just like I said when I saw the U-Tube videos... So fuck off Trendy!) But he is a better singer that some of the earlier videos showed. They played Ride My Face To Chicago..In Chicago and Portnoy came out and played drums on Broken Hearts Are For Assholes and Peaches. Both shows had no encores (Again hurried) and no time for autographs (Its one of the things that I really liked about Dweezil was his interaction after their own shows..Not here!) I did hang out in the alley in Chicago after ZPZ finished (No wife this time and Dream theater was cool but I had enough in Milwaukee..So off to the back alley I went) It payed off because I got to talk with Jamie, Ben, Joe and Pete. said hello to SG and Dweezil. Dweezil didn't come out of the bus to talk to the few that were there..Jamie on the other hand is so cool..He talked to everyone. I probably took up most of his time but what a regular guy..(No further Chicago dates just yet) I welcomed Ben to the band and was honest with him about my previous statements on this forum. I did say to him that he had some big shoes to fill and that he was doing a fine job. I gave Dweezil a print in Milwaukee of a picture that I had shot of Frank in 1980 with a charcoal finish. I matted it and Framed it in Walnut..(I'll post that later) Joe was interested in the photo's that I took of Frank and we are going to talk about those later. I don't have the set lists but they did play some of the same songs in both places. I would of liked more variety but it was still good! The Dream Theater shows are cool..Awesome musicians..But next time for me I hope its a solo act!

Last edited by thepoodlebites on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:18 am 

Image Image Image Image And a few more!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:38 pm 

Great shots! Thank a bunch for sharing!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:12 pm 

This was as close as I could get on the 23rd..But it is a Chicago Icon Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:13 am 

Here is the print of Frank (I shot this in 1980 and did it in a charcoal finish..I matted it and made the frame out of walnut) I gave it to Dweezil in Milwaukee (on stage) I'm glad I didn't wait till the show in Chicago..I couldn't get near the stage! Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:32 am 

Hey Disco Boy if you read this could you post the set lists from Milwaukee 8-22-09 and Chicago 8-23-09 I was to busy to write it down and my memory sucks.. THANKS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:44 am 

thepoodlebites wrote:
Verrrry tasty :P Your pictures are incredible -- why do you butcher them with Photoshop?!? :|

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:05 am 

great pics and thanx for the review poodlebite!
really cool that you were able to take all those and especially made that print of the shot of fz in 80 and that you were able to give that to Dweezil. Very nice start to finish!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:39 pm 

Quote:
Verrrry tasty :P Your pictures are incredible -- why do you butcher them with Photoshop?!?

Thanks for the complement..I don't know exactly what you are talking about but photoshop is a wonderful tool for removing unwanted things in the picture from dust marks to scratches,crop, re size, adding effects etc. Most of my pics till recently were all on 35mm film. Some of these negs were about 30 yrs old. I had to buy a state of the art Neg scanner to save the negs that I have (Deterioration) Those negs are now stored via my computer and is much easier to access than all those Yrs dipping my hands in chemicals and working under a safe light (The Yrs I spent and what I learned from the darkroom has made me a better photographer today) But.. Had I not used photoshop, I feel the shots would be less desirable in my mind from a finished product. I use to spend hrs in a darkroom to achieve the same effect (burning,dodging, dust, sepia toning and scratch touch ups) Now its achieved with the swipe of a mouse. I still am old school but I love the new technology...Film is becoming obsolete. I waited till just recently and purchased a new Nikon.(digital resolution v film) The monochrome pics of ZPZ was achieved at the camera. Its is so cool to push a button to achieve these effects. No more changing film,filters etc. I was schooled in Black and White photography and selecting apertures and shutter speeds still apply. I almost always shoot manually

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:42 pm 

Image Image Image Which one is Better?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:12 pm 

thepoodlebites wrote:
Quote:
Verrrry tasty :P Your pictures are incredible -- why do you butcher them with Photoshop?!?

I don't know exactly what you are talking about but photoshop is a wonderful tool for removing unwanted things in the picture from dust marks to scratches,crop, re size, adding effects etc.

Just didn't get why you turned one of your quality vintage b/w photographs into that solarized monstrosity 8)
I really love the way you restored the original scans - they look brilliant, flawless without smoothing the details out etc. -- this is what Photoshop is all about - (and what a painstaking process it is! ) - But I think these cheesy effects are just so 1995, if you know what I mean ;) -- In a word: Keep it subtle :)

...and keep 'em coming!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:25 pm 

Hey cool shots!!! Well executed!!

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

Post subject: re: tpb pics
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:32 pm 

thepoodlebites wrote:
...Which one is Better? ...

the center photo is more appealling, add back the mic stand w/the green & white lights, & get rid of the jizz stains on dweezil's pants; good move to get rid of ben ... all very cool shots, the charcaol effect puts a nice personal touch on it, probably looses a lot of impact in a low-res photo

photoimpression works very well if you don't wanna purchase photoshop, great for removing mailing labels & printing off mag covers, removing ebay [& other misc. 8) ] watermarks, & compiling multi-image composite pictures, removing red-eye etc.

thepoodlebites wrote:
... Missing Ray White
btw, thanks for the concert review ... yea, the music lends itself to a black singer as frontman; willie the pimp sounds ok, other songs need a bit more color

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:49 am 

thepoodlebites wrote:
Here is the print of Frank (I shot this in 1980 and did it in a charcoal finish..I matted it and made the frame out of walnut) I gave it to Dweezil in Milwaukee (on stage) I'm glad I didn't wait till the show in Chicago..I couldn't get near the stage! Image

:shock: Nice!

thepoodlebites wrote:
Hey Disco Boy if you read this could you post the set lists from Milwaukee 8-22-09 and Chicago 8-23-09 I was to busy to write it down and my memory sucks.. THANKS

Currently, I don't have the Milwaukee setlist (hopefully that'll change soon) but I'll post Chicago's setlist right now...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:00 am 

Thanks again for the comments..To give you an idea..The resolution of the photo's originally shot were 2848 pixels x 4288 pixels. File size(3.98 MB). Some of the pics that I have posted are only 378 pixels x 570 pixels. File size(42.0 KB) A huge difference.. I re size for several reasons but as nice as these look the larger format is awesome. I'm sorry that I don't post the larger (dimensions). I enjoy sharing and I appreciate the comments. What I find interesting about any art is...It's all in the eyes of the beholder. But whats cool is.. When we appreciate the same thing!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:53 am 

Image Image Image And some more!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:51 pm 

Image Image Here's a couple of Big Elf!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:18 am 

thepoodlebites wrote:

AWESOME FZ Mark!! Great gift for the family!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:33 am 

I just found out yesterday that a certain concert that was on the market (so to speak) Has used my photo's in there download package(without my permission) When I heard this I got a smile on my face..And was pleased that someone liked my photo's enough to use. I consider myself a artist and my intent was to share these photo's. Money was never a thought... Although I need it constantly. Those photo's were posted at a fairly low resolution..Anyone interested in a better copy let me know. I'll gladly share! Now...Anybody here know a good lawyer?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:03 pm 

thepoodlebites wrote:
Now...Anybody here know a good lawyer?

Don't ask the Zappas. During history they have had mixed success with lawsuits.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:36 pm 

HJ wrote:
thepoodlebites wrote:

It's called sarcasm........

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm 

thepoodlebites wrote:
HJ wrote:
thepoodlebites wrote:

It's called sarcasm........

I know. 8)