Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:26 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
I just wonder how long you and your friends have failed to see a business model that has pretty much been rock solid since 1981.
Flo & Eddie Dropping out before tours started in 1988 & the first ZPZ tour does not define disaster of a business model that has always been about the artists music than some alumni quotient. Here is the deal the distribution deals change here and there that have added or subtracted to the overall cause and effect but it is the same cottage industry that FZ & GZ launched in early 1981. If and when some alumni are special guests that can be interesting but it has always since the beginning of FZs career been about FZs music more so than any given musician.

The first time I had a conversation with FZ at The Palladium on April 17th 1981 he told me of his new label Barking Pumpkin Records.
I remember the yellow mimeograph advertisements for the Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar LPs that were only available via mail order directly through Barfko Swill because he could not get a US distribution deal. I think it is fair to say that mimeograph advertisements is the best that FZ could do with his budget so I wonder what watermark you and your friends have used fro the last 30 years. I still have one folded sleeping with my Gibson Les Paul....cause that's the way I like it, Then a few years later I appeared with FZ on the David Letterman Show where he went into detail of his business model. Things are what they are and so much $$ goes into each project where return on investment gets put into the next one. For any long time fan to sit and complain about the ZFT business model spending a little time on a tour with Dream Theater is entirely preposterous because it is the nature of the business where older fans buy less no matter who the group is. Add the thievery quotient of fans that feel they do not need to buy and the overall fan base who actually go out and buy records is really down. I have said this before some of these fans that complain sound like an out of touch mother in law that demands 100% of the free time of her kids and family. All bands need young blood to buy their new product so for the long time hard cores no matter what numbers they are to boldly complain about that or the ZFT project release schedule is only making a difficult situation worse.

FZ:OZ had close to a 6 month pre -order phase and only 2,500 or so units were pre-sold. That should give people a general
picture of what was happening then. One wondered if we would ever get another multi-disk set and look at not only how amazing all these 4Tieth projects are
and but also the diversity of projects on Zappa & Vaulternative Records is more than most had expected.
Now that RYKO is out of the picture and ZPZ is touring the demand and desire for material is growing but depending on the long time hard cores to 100% keep that business model afloat
is like Igor Stravinsky returning from the dead and conducting a Zappa show at Lincoln Center.

The projects are coming folks anyone can remain positive if they want to.
Regardless of no ZPZ Halloween show this year I think it is fair to say that
something of Highly Ambient Domains is coming our way.

My God, Now There is a Great Cheerleader...Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:00 am 

steviespanking wrote:
don't cry....i have a feeling that some very popular cult band my play homage to FZ, in his own backyard- no less ...by performing Joe's Garage, in its entirety on Halloween as their musical costume..

If you are a little lost...PHISH will be playing a 3 DAY Halloween Festival in INDIO, CA, right near SAN BERNADINO AND PALMDALE- Where the Turkey Farmer's Roam - ya know...

Anyway, they always play an entire album of someone's, as what they call their "Musical Costume" ...they played

Beatles- White Album in 1994

The Who - Quadrophenia in 1995

Talking Heads - Remain in Light in 1996

and on there last Halloween Haunt they played

The Velvet Underground - Loaded and for shits & giggles the day after Halloween, in an empty Utah Venue the played

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Now, they used to let the fan's vote on what album they would play....and "Joe's Garage" would always claim the most requested spot, but they always claimed that they couldn't play it, due to the fact that
"Watermelon in Easter Hay" was on the Zappa Family Trust - BANNED FROM PLAYING LIST..

Now, I'm not sure if that's why...if it was just too hard for them to do....or they never had enough time to practice it....But, I was at a Zappa Festival in 2000, in ILLINOIS and it was played by the guitarist of the Grandmother's - a man who strangly looks kinda like FZ and after all the 'Shrooms I took that night....It was Frank on stage!!

I have had this errie feeling that they will finally play one of my all-time favorite albums, and will fuckin' nail it!!

So, if anyone here lives near INDIO,CA and has a few days over Halloween Free, go see what will be a wacky weekend ...whatever they play...Oh yeah, 8 Sets Over 3 Days...Should be PHUN!!

Trey is alot like Frank, as he loves conducting, performing ansambles of his bands music...always changes the lineup of his solo band -constantly, he's a fucking GUITAR GOD and he's a weird mother!!

SO,long live the music of FZ and I pray I will be hearing it echoing through the mountains in the distance, with 75,000 other FREAKS!

I heard that they didn't play Joe's Garage because they viewed it as too misogynistic and raunchy. I think it's more likely they'll play Pavement's "Crooked Rain Crooked Rain" and then I'll have to deal with another influx of smelly hippies at Pavement shows when they reunite, just like when we suffering Pavement fans had to when Trey started name checking the band.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:39 pm 

Phish has released a list of potential albums for this year's Halloween show.

Zappa is not included.

Pussies.

http://pollstar.com/blogs/news/archive/ ... 91844.aspx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:10 am 

blsabob23 wrote:

Zappa is not included.

Pussies.

You are misinformed.
Phish have two Zappa Albums on the list-Apostrophe (') and Hot Rats.
I dont think they will play Hot Rats as it has too much in the way of horns for them to pull off succesfully as a quartet. They could add horn sections as they have in the past but I just dont see that one being realistic.

Apostrophe (') would be an interesting choice and IMHO more plausible.

If I were a wagering sort I would not bet on either one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:37 pm 

the voyeur wrote:
blsabob23 wrote:

Zappa is not included.

Pussies.

You are misinformed.
Phish have two Zappa Albums on the list-Apostrophe (') and Hot Rats.
I dont think they will play Hot Rats as it has too much in the way of horns for them to pull off succesfully as a quartet. They could add horn sections as they have in the past but I just dont see that one being realistic.

Apostrophe (') would be an interesting choice and IMHO more plausible.

If I were a wagering sort I would not bet on either one.

I just checked out their website. Not only do they have the two Zappa albums you listed, but a bunch of other great choices not listed in that Pollstar article. I stand corrected.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:27 pm 

not even Phish could pull off Hot Rats. Horn section or not

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:36 pm 

Joel Osteen wrote:

Maybe not, but there are band out there that could do it. I don't listen to Phish and have no idea about their capabilities.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:57 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Joel Osteen wrote:

Maybe not, but there are band out there that could do it. I don't listen to Phish and have no idea about their capabilities.

I still think Apostrophe is a real possibility at this point. We'll see. Hots Rats, I think, is just a little (or alot) out of their range. I'd be REALLY impressed with whoever could pull off a believable Hot Rats. Especially the guitar parts. FZ is like three guitarists in one. Good luck to whoever tries