Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ZPZ & FZ Projects....
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:40 am 

"Dweezil and I just spoke and we’re getting ready to begin
post production on his upcoming DVD release".

"This upcoming Dweezil DVD release features recent Zappa Plays Zappa content
shot at the Roxy in LA in and Hogg Auditorium in Austin."

"I directed/produced the Roxy and Hogg shows.
Frank Zappa’s original Roxy show will release
before we drop Zappa Plays Zappa “Son of Roxy”

- Charlie Boswell

http://twitter.com/Boswell_CEO

Thank you Charlie.
I find your update to be just what the doctor ordered.
While these works in progress have been on the minds of the Zappa community
for a long time the fanatical behavior that seemingly stems from the lack of progress reports
all failing to meet the standards of the fanatical want has been quite disturbing.
For example the fanatical rumor mill had it on very high authority that Dweezil had totally scrapped the Austin Video.
This sure goes to show what some supposed fans think they know.

As always I remain 100% confident that not only these three video projects you are working on
but some of the other works in progress that you and Dweezil have spoke of will be of the
finest optional entertainment known to mankind. I could hope that your comment and work on these
projects would instill some confidence in those that doubt but in the long run the fans speak for themselves
and the project speaks for the artist.

Then if that is not enough there are many surprises in store of projects that DZ is working on that
is outside the scope of your TWEET. Since I don't TWEET I figured this would be a good as place as any
for commenting on yours truly.

http://www.zappaplayszappa.com/tourlog/ ... th=7&day=8

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:51 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
for a long time the fanatical behavior from that stems from the lack of progress reports
that meet up to the standards of the fanatical want has been quite disturbing.
For example the fanatical rumor mill had it on very high authority that Dweezil had totally scrapped the Austin Video.

Gee, I am certain that Charlie is sad that you don't tweet. This kind of crap would be just what he wanted to hear about. It would save his day: "Yes, I have fought the negativity of all so-called Zappa fans (save the only true non-fanatical fan, of course)! Wow, that feels good". :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:56 am 

HJ wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
for a long time the fanatical behavior from that stems from the lack of progress reports
that meet up to the standards of the fanatical want has been quite disturbing.

Gee, I am certain that Charlie is sad that you don't tweet. This kind of crap would be just what he wanted to hear about. It would save his day: "Yes, I have fought the negativity of all so-called Zappa fans (save the only true non-fanatical fan, of course)! Wow, that feels good". :roll:

This commentary about me being the only true fan is of a disservice.
I may very well be an ambassador of the positive and all things Official
but there are all shades of Zappa fans.

As I went back and read my commentary I did not want to leave that fanatical want
mislead perception of "save the only true non-fanatical fan" so I edited and added the following.

"I could hope that your comment and work on these projects
would instill some confidence in those that doubt but in the long run t
he fans speak for themselves and the project speaks for the artist."

Now as far as it being "crap" the fans have driven the negativity into the mudd regarding these projects
so do not blame me if I use the TWEET as a reason to instill confidence into a community that lacks it.
Anyone can decide for themselves if they want to ride a bandwagon of negativity
or just use their eyes and ears on the artists work. I for one think it is time to separate
from all this negativity and let the music speak for itself. We could all sit here on a cosmic utensil
or just optimistically look at the project(s) moving forward.

I'm a guy about optimism. Time and time again I see fans pooting forth with masses of negativity
on these works in progress. So if I see Charlies TWEET and feel this could be a doctors prescription
that all fits in desire of hoping for some shift weighted optimism. And I will tell you this there is even more coming our way.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:08 am 

One man's negativity is another man's pragmatism.
One man's optimism is another man's rose-colored glasses.

No one has cornered the market on perception and truth.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:15 am 

FalseDichotomy wrote:
One man's negativity is another man's pragmatism.
One man's optimism is another man's rose-colored glasses.

No one has cornered the market on perception and truth.

Well we know about these works in progress.
Many of us should be quite familiar with Charlie Boswell by now.
His name has been surfacing arround Zappa for several years now and
those that have been following closely should know it's more than
a phone call on these 3 video projects.

For the time being I think we can focus of the Video Prjoects
but I don't think we need Rose Colored Glasses to be optimistic that Charlie is on board
in these Videos, DZs Room Service Rig or remastering FZs back catalog.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:41 am 

Terrific, Frank's Roxy will be out before Dweezil's. Great news. It sounds as though DZ's Son of Roxy will contain parts of the Austin show, no? (This upcoming Dweezil DVD release features recent Zappa Plays Zappa content shot at the Roxy in LA in and Hogg Auditorium in Austin)

It's good to see these projects outsourced to someone who hopefully understands deadlines and meeting customers expectations. I am sure the ZFT trust won't allow their vendors to treat them the way the ZFT treats their own customers. Now, if we can only get Charlie on those damn downloads.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:47 am 

Or someday will we?
(92?)
Will we?
(96?)
Will we?
(02?)
Will we?
(06?)
Will we?
(010?) 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:03 am 

I am eagerly awaiting a heaping helping of Pygmy Twylyte. Dweezil's solo over the PT vamp was one of the best things I've heard in a long time.

I was going to leave the negativity aside, but how hard would it have been for Dweezil to leave the same little message Mr. Boswell did on his ZPZ blog? Just throw us a bone every now and then.

Oh, he''s busy. got it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:26 am 

[quote="vanzetti"]

13 November 2007: Austin, TX
http://www.zappa.com/reviewboard/viewto ... 3&start=15
Cosmic Debris (FZ Video)
City of Tiny Lights
Advance Romance
Lonely Little Girl
My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama
Doreen
Magic Fingers
Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy
Son of Suzy Creamcheese
Brown Shoes Don't Make It
America Drinks and Goes Home
Dumb All Over (FZ Video)
What's New in Baltimore
Pygmy Twylite ('Quaalude Thunder' arrangement)
Dupree's Paradise (Phrases: Infected Biscuit, Throbbing Gristle, Put in Childs)
Uncle Remus
Willie the Pimp
Joe's Garage
Wind Up Workin' at a Gas Station
San Berdino
Zoot Allures
Ship Ahoy
(Freak Out Medley)
- How Could I Be Such a Fool?
- Ain't Got No Heart
- I'm Not Satisfied
Dog/Meat
G Spot Tornado
Wild Love
Yo Mama

Encore:

The Illinois Enema Bandit
Muffin Man (FZ Video)

ZPZ Roxy December 12, 2008

http://www.zappa.com/reviewboard/viewtopic.php?t=191

A/P Cookieduster

Purple Lagoon
Imaginary Diseases
Pygmy Twylyte (Qualude Thunder version)
Village of the Sun*
Echidna Arf Of You
Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?
Dog Breath
Dog Meat
Inca Roads*
Billy The Mountain* (Sarah Palin)
Guitar Giveaway
Fembot in a Wet T-Shirt
Outside Now
He Used to Cut The Grass
Flakes (Scheila's Cartman)
Broken Hearts Are For Assholes
Bamboozled By Love
King Kong - Band Solos (Aaron's robots, Scheila on the stage floor, Joe's glasses fly off)
Zomby Woof

Break

Dirty Love*
Black Napkins*
G-Spot Tornado

*=voted on to set list

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Last edited by Trendmonger on Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:27 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:27 am 

youiswhatyouam wrote:

1) It sounds as though DZ's Son of Roxy will contain parts of the Austin show, no?
(This upcoming Dweezil DVD release features recent Zappa Plays Zappa content shot at the Roxy in LA in and Hogg Auditorium in Austin)

2) It's good to see these projects outsourced to someone who hopefully understands deadlines and meeting customers expectations.
I am sure the ZFT trust won't allow their vendors to treat them the way the ZFT treats their own customers.
Now, if we can only get Charlie on those damn downloads.

1) Fittingly FZ Roxy & Elsewhere ..... DZ's Son of Roxy & Elsewhere.
Now let's gather the set lists of ZPZs Roxy & Austin Shows and ponder how big this project(s) will be................
I have done so and it is above this post.

2) Outsourcing some of the engineering work is nothing new.
This goes to show that you have not been following very closely.
Just as the ZFT have been working with some engineers on a project by project basis
Dweezil has been doing the same with his ZPZ Videos.
Charlie Boswell has been on board for several years now.

I believe Charlie Videotaped 30 songs of ZPZ in Nov 2007 in Austin Texas.
I was not there but I think that Austin Show 4 Hours????
Add the ZPZ Roxy Show that was filmed in December 08' and they must have 7 hour hours worth.
Son of Roxy & Elsewhere - DVD Preview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wb-b4s-0ps

Just what are you implying how the ZFT treats their customers?
Deadlines & Customer Expectations..... How about artistic integrity of the artist
above what you think you know and what you obviously do not know about this project.

I am sure DZ is involved all that you think he is not.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:06 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
Deadlines & Customer Expectations..... How about artistic integrity of the artist
above what you think you know and what you obviously do not know about this project.

Yeah, how about it? Why promise something again and again that obviously cannot honor the artistic integrity in time? Damn poor strategy! Takes away unnecessary focus from the great products unless you have a religious inclination towards enjoying being disappointed again and again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:18 pm 

HJ wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:

Yeah, how about it? Why promise something again and again that obviously cannot honor the artistic integrity in time? Damn poor strategy! Takes away unnecessary focus from the great products unless you have a religious inclination towards enjoying being disappointed again and again.

When I was a kid my fathers blanket answer to any question was "We'll See".
Comparatively any Zappa so called promise over the years is a god send.
Each Official Project delivers the goods on my one way trip.
I for one have not been dissapointed again and again.
I have been along a very positive ride since 1967.
Things are no different than when FZ was alive.

There is always many works in progress and there are so many factors
that bring a work in progress to completion where it may make it's way
to when fans consume a completed project by some distribution medium.
Sometimes one is fortunate to be in a position with the artist and get to hear
and see a work in progress. I have been fortunate to be in UMRK mobile on several occasions over several tours
to see some VIDs FZ was working on but regardless of what quotient I have had that form of opportunity with
the work I never let that "when is this ever going to come out" get in my way of enjoying FZs massive body of work.
As you can see my involvement in Zappateers is non-existent for I just don't look to that commune for too many answers.

Shit I stopped getting dissapointed after several of FZs orchestral projects were derailed
for I remember being told by (818) Pumpkin of the Zappa Orchestral Shows with
the Syracuse Symphony that never happened. Certainly it was not the first of FZs Orchestral
problems and changes to best laid plans and FZ was putting up his money for his works in progress
and all I had to do was sit back and wait for the next project...
or GZs report of Everything Is Healing Nicely in ICE magazine years before it's released.
I don't let that stuff bother me and I certainly have no hostility towards Gail.
As most of us around here I have that project in my collection.
You just have t put a motor in yourself and enjoy it while it is happening and not worry about
what the artist is involved with when all these works are in various stages of development.

Look at all these people living their life waiting for the second coming of Jesus Christ.
Some just live by a set of ethics and commandments and others go to the extreme actually thinking they will
be one of the 44,000 of all men since the begging of eternity that will make it up to hebbin'.
Hey you believe in Jahova just what are your chances of being that 1 of 44,000 of every man and woman who has ever lived.
Just what is the ratio of 44 thousand divided by every man and woman that has ever lived.
....Roxy DVD No Worries

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:06 pm 

I'd easily spend the rest of my life with your ethereal lushness, Trend L. Hubbard 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:40 pm 

Trendy, there are several thousand people who paid for something about a year ago that was promised delivery within eight days of the show.

What do you not understand about that? No, don't answer.....you are a tool.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:35 pm 

youiswhatyouam wrote:
Trendy, there are several thousand people who paid for something about a year ago that was promised delivery within eight days of the show.

What do you not understand about that? No, don't answer.....you are a tool.

The FREE DOWNLOAD was included in your ticket purchase.
There was no given financial sum of your ticket price that went to paying for the engineering the downloads.
Nowhere in the penny to $100 or whatever ticket face value went directly to pay for the engineering of the downloads.
As this was a first time ever production of it's kind the unforeseen problems have required a very large
amount of additional engineering hours. Dweezil has stated that he will be finishing up the MIXing phase
of the downloads and we are in that general time frame of studio time that DZ has scheduled for this YCFOSA Download project and elsewhere.
With that announcement a few months back and all the other expected and unexpected you seem like a boiling point of negativity when positivity should be what is perpetuated here.

A very positive time is upon us but I hedge to think you will forever bring negativity to DZs projects
long after he delivers not only the download to the show(s) that you went to that he spent thousands of man hours
producing that he will never get a positive return financially on that and but also he gave you an additional free show to boot
and you seem like a very ungrateful individual.

You are the type of guy that will complain about FZs The Roxy & ZPZs The Son Of Roxy DVD projects long after they are released
while the majority of the fans will think these two projects are the finest Zappa projects ever released.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Last edited by Trendmonger on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:54 pm 

judging from what I saw at The Beacon on the first ZPZ tour, there is much work that needs to be done on the original Roxy footage as it was rough, at best. If they can transform it into something like Dub Room quality, then it will be worth the wait. Hey- at least they're talking about it and even if it takes another year, what the hell. How long has it been so far- 25 years?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:48 pm 

CHARLIE DON'T TWEET!

Post subject: re: fz.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:02 pm 

roxy : Image Image

son of roxy : ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:42 am 

cozylittlefooties wrote:
judging from what I saw at The Beacon on the first ZPZ tour, there is much work that needs to be done on the original Roxy footage as it was rough, at best. If they can transform it into something like Dub Room quality, then it will be worth the wait. Hey- at least they're talking about it and even if it takes another year, what the hell. How long has it been so far- 25 years?

I cant see nothing wrong with it.
http://www.zappa.com/stufftoget/video/roxy.html
:|

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:44 am 

Wow... that doesn't look the same as what I saw that night. Could it be that they are even closer than we expect? This is quite exciting.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:44 pm 

Charlie meant to say Blu-Ray, right?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:00 am 

That's great that Dweezil's doing the right thing by making sure Frank's Roxy DVD comes out before his. I know for myself, if a ZPZ Roxy DVD came out first, I would be personally boycotting it until the real thing is here. It's like FZ Roxy is a MUST HAVE. ZPZ Roxy is just something nice to have in the collection.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:39 am 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
That's great that Dweezil's doing the right thing by making sure Frank's Roxy DVD comes out before his. I know for myself, if a ZPZ Roxy DVD came out first, I would be personally boycotting it until the real thing is here. It's like FZ Roxy is a MUST HAVE. ZPZ Roxy is just something nice to have in the collection.

This is an example where fans of FZs music seem to have so much built up animosity.
Frank certainly never finished that project and FZ had 17 Official Releases at the time of the recordings.
FZ went on and produced so many projects, he had 62 Official Releases and a vault with a selection of completed works
and thousands of reels of various media in various stages of a work in progress when he left for his final tour.

By now we should all know that the FZ ROXY DVD project is one that has a given set of unknown circumstances.
Who knows the condition of all the audio and video and what can be produced from whatever exists.
I remain cautiously optimistic. Yes it is something most of us want very much but in the end my thoughts have always been
the final product will be something that is quite different from our impression from an album that has overdubs on it.

While the basic framework of FZs ROXY and ZPZs The SON Of ROXY is conceptually aligned it is easy to see
that the basic compositions and arrangements are not all one in the same.
There are some obvious conceptual connections that deservedly give the SON of project it's name
but all this hostility and boycott maneuvers show what I think is a severe disservice
to the music Frank Zappa created.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:33 am 

I betcha I can guess what song ZPZ is rehearsing right now:

Charlie's Enormous Mouth...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:01 pm 

Trend-oid, you just replied to my comments in about 200 words and made absolutely no point whatsoever.