Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:13 am 

GreenHocher wrote:
KillUgly wrote:
Whether to attribute it to ego or to a new marketing concept I'm sure DZPZ is basically the same as ZPZ. I do think they're at a bit of a crossroads now though. I'm seeing them for the fourth time this year (and the sixth time overall) in a few weeks and quite frankly it's time to come up with some new shit. Although I'm sure I'll enjoy the show no matter what, unless I see a dramitically different set-list my enthusiasm for future shows will drop considerably. Not to mention that I haven't jumped on the Ben Thomas bandwagon. Anybody who thinks Ben is an improvement over NMB or Ray is hallucinating. ZPZ burnout? Maybe. If P/O were playing nearby at this point on the same night as (D)ZPZ with both Ike and Ray (which they're not) I would choose seeing P/O. I hope (D)ZPZ blows my socks off with a new set list when I see them. The Roxy era stuff is great but it's time to visit some other corners of the catalog.

To your point about Ben I hope they continue to evaluate the current band. I don't think it has to be an alumni singing to be good (although I admit I would prefer one of the originals in that roll) but I don't think Ben has the range to sing those songs well. His Inca Roads is awful, for example. He just can't hit the high notes. I also hope they're pursuing a replacement for AA. Still an awesome band, but there's definitely a void in the sound there now. Sheila rules, but a full time guy on the keys seems pretty critical for an accurate reproduction.

I'm confused about all the love P/O gets, however. I saw them in Cleveland last year, and although is was fun hearing Ike sing live, it was really disappointing compared to any of my 8 ZPZ experiences. Maybe I caught them on an off night, but the band was very mediocre from what I saw. Ed Mann played one note for every 30 that he would've had to under Frank (or that Billy does with ZPZ). There was no guitarist that was capable of being Frank-like. And poor Ike sounded pretty tired. He spent most of his time in the bar area. Sure, I'd pay $15 again to hear that music played by them again - that was about right price, but definitely not worth the 2 hour drive. Am I missing something with them, or do people really value 'an original' singer over an incredible performance by a super-tight band? Or maybe I just saw them on an off night - maybe someone who's seen them more could tell me if that was a bad show or something... I'd love to love them as much as I love seeing ZPZ.

Well, we're probably getting close to getting these posts deleted due to P/O content, but have you ever seen them with Seahag on guitar, as opposed to bass which he has been covering lately? Seahag is awesome. (Not to knock any other players in the band, but Seahag playing the lead parts puts it to another level)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:26 am 

GreenHocher wrote:
KillUgly wrote:
Whether to attribute it to ego or to a new marketing concept I'm sure DZPZ is basically the same as ZPZ. I do think they're at a bit of a crossroads now though. I'm seeing them for the fourth time this year (and the sixth time overall) in a few weeks and quite frankly it's time to come up with some new shit. Although I'm sure I'll enjoy the show no matter what, unless I see a dramitically different set-list my enthusiasm for future shows will drop considerably. Not to mention that I haven't jumped on the Ben Thomas bandwagon. Anybody who thinks Ben is an improvement over NMB or Ray is hallucinating. ZPZ burnout? Maybe. If P/O were playing nearby at this point on the same night as (D)ZPZ with both Ike and Ray (which they're not) I would choose seeing P/O. I hope (D)ZPZ blows my socks off with a new set list when I see them. The Roxy era stuff is great but it's time to visit some other corners of the catalog.

To your point about Ben I hope they continue to evaluate the current band. I don't think it has to be an alumni singing to be good (although I admit I would prefer one of the originals in that roll) but I don't think Ben has the range to sing those songs well. His Inca Roads is awful, for example. He just can't hit the high notes. I also hope they're pursuing a replacement for AA. Still an awesome band, but there's definitely a void in the sound there now. Sheila rules, but a full time guy on the keys seems pretty critical for an accurate reproduction.

I'm confused about all the love P/O gets, however. I saw them in Cleveland last year, and although is was fun hearing Ike sing live, it was really disappointing compared to any of my 8 ZPZ experiences. Maybe I caught them on an off night, but the band was very mediocre from what I saw. Ed Mann played one note for every 30 that he would've had to under Frank (or that Billy does with ZPZ). There was no guitarist that was capable of being Frank-like. And poor Ike sounded pretty tired. He spent most of his time in the bar area. Sure, I'd pay $15 again to hear that music played by them again - that was about right price, but definitely not worth the 2 hour drive. Am I missing something with them, or do people really value 'an original' singer over an incredible performance by a super-tight band? Or maybe I just saw them on an off night - maybe someone who's seen them more could tell me if that was a bad show or something... I'd love to love them as much as I love seeing ZPZ.

Confused? Don't be. Without sounding too Trendmongerishlike, I concur.
I saw Banned From Utopia some 8-10 years ago with the likes of Bruce Fowler, Tom Fowler, K. Mcgittrick, T. Mars, Ike and a few others. Show was pretty incredible.
Not too long ago I saw P.O. in a sports bar in CT. It was so awful I walked out halfway through. Never had or have an interest in subjecting myself to that again. After seeing Frank many times, as well as ZPZ as many as at least 8, I can confidently say there's nothing else that comes close. I just feel those perfectionists named ZAPPA do it like no one else can.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:39 pm 

It would probably help if ZPZ offered free downloads of their shows. Of course its not free when ticket prices are over 100 bucks. They should experiment with downloads to help bring in more people. Have they ever done anything like that?

Oh....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:25 pm 

I also heard that DZ has dusted off the synclavier and is bringing it out on the road this time. On select nights he will play "Jazz From Hell" in it's entirety with completely new guitar parts over it. Can't wait to hear/see that. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:53 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
I also heard that DZ has dusted off the synclavier and is bringing it out on the road this time. On select nights he will play "Jazz From Hell" in it's entirety with completely new guitar parts over it. Can't wait to hear/see that. :shock:

Yeah, but that's nothin' without a Telefunken U-47!

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:31 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:

Fred I hate to burst your balloon...but you’re beginning to sound like you’re full of hot air...our some kind of gas...

:mrgreen:
Excuse me…but ultimately who gives a fuck anyway??? :?

:wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:13 pm 

I've got updates from Ticketron,ect;they all say Dweezil ZappaPlaysZappa for up coming dates.
Dweezil Zappa has a band,and true to his pop,they are inter-changable,all are the most entertaining musicians,apart and with DZpZ,as life dictates such neccesities,those things are bi-defination,inter-change-able. Hey thats almost trendyish! And no double space. :!:

I'm sorry Ben but.. thanks for filling in after RW left.I met your folks at the San Jose Civic,you have a lot of love and support from all of us DZpZ fans to.The SJC show was fine for them,(Bens folks)they couldn't wait till Eugene,Ore.to see you in your home towne.They were too cute,earplugs camera's & stuff.
But..the general consensus seems to me that you and no one person can stretch their voice to meet the needs of FZ's music.If you could find a keyboard-singer,to harmonize/share vocals ect.Then that would free up Sheila to add more brass ect.,then you might just jump back on and ride like a cowboy,back into the hills of Eugene,ORE.At least pick up a Harp,Tamboring,Kazoo,Pennywhistle,Bongos anything couldn't hurt,when your not singing, it can only help. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:34 am 

I'd like to try to stretch my voice to fill that job position. I can do a good deal.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:12 am 

Personally, to my way of thinking, IMHO, I wouldn't pay to see just Dweezil.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:14 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

Even if he was at the corner pub,with a $3 buck cover? :P :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:59 am 

I will bring my Accordion with me to play "Hungover in Clover" to open the show!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:24 pm 

Darn Accordions wrote:
I will bring my Accordion with me to play "Hungover in Clover" to open the show!

Your back...long trip accor DD ion?

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:49 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

That would be impossible since it's really small and wouldn't hold all of that equipment. (We actually have a bar in our town called The Corner Bar)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:00 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

That would be impossible since it's really small and wouldn't hold all of that equipment. (We actually have a bar in our town called The Corner Bar)

Same here cal.Over in sac.ca. the bar is rounded on a corner, 24th & T,it could of been the round table,but that was takin' so its "the corner bar".Get it honey? There is one in every state-of mind,and a couple of Parishes to.
I would pay to see DZ,dwiddle away on his guitar,plugged into a pig-nose amp.IMHO,the Q.is how much and whats he playing?!!? :lol: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:44 am 

I'd Pay and travel to see Dweezil do a solo show. I like Dweezil, and I think he's matured as a guitarist over the past few years. So I think he'd put on a great show

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:12 pm 

If you search a venue for some tix, its Dwezil Zappa Plays Zappa that gets you through faster than ZPZ. So should it be DZpZ,after all he is the Zappa playing? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:41 pm 

We all know it's been Dweezil ZappaPlaysZappa from the start,with special alumni as special guest.It was and should be ZpZ.But you add Dweezil Zappa to anything and it ups the ante. Would I see the band without DZ? Of course if the price and distance where in line.I'll drive 3-4 hrs for a live Zappa playin' band like ZPZ-DZ.Oops I already did! Pojama People! I wish they'd come back here today, (west coast) with Ray & Ike. With special guest Dweezil Zappa! 8) :D :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:33 pm 

With the development of the new DZ website it appears as though the ZPZ website is being updated less and less. Also, it's probably no coincidence that the DZPZ name change has come at approximately the same time as the new website. Its looking more and more like Dweezils long term plans might have been to use this whole project not to bring Franks Music to a younger audience, but rather kickstart his own solo career. I do hope I'm wrong and his intention and motivation was and is purely genuine. Appearence is everything, and when you look at the evolution of this entire project, it would not surprise me if the "Plays Zappa" part goes by the wayside. Does anyone else see what I've been seeing the last year or two?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:37 pm 

Furthermore, I think if we start seeing Dweezil compositions being slowly worked into upcoming setlists, then that will be very telling.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:38 pm 

cozylittlefooties wrote:
With the development of the new DZ website it appears as though the ZPZ website is being updated less and less. Also, it's probably no coincidence that the DZPZ name change has come at approximately the same time as the new website. Its looking more and more like Dweezils long term plans might have been to use this whole project not to bring Franks Music to a younger audience, but rather kickstart his own solo career. I do hope I'm wrong and his intention and motivation was and is purely genuine. Appearence is everything, and when you look at the evolution of this entire project, it would not surprise me if the "Plays Zappa" part goes by the wayside. Does anyone else see what I've been seeing the last year or two?

What a box o' turds.
Dweezil Zappa has had his own solo career going since 1982.
Be it if his energies are towards his fathers music at any given moment in time
or he gets involved with solo and collaborative efforts Dweezil Zappa is the real deal.
Dweezil Zappa has set the standards that no other artist since Frank Zappa has ever accomplished.

Dweezil Zappa's all around approach to music and performance has changed so much
for him to be able to do the right thing by his fathers musical standards.
Not that his writing and performance style was not worthy of a long history
of good music but DZPZ is all about honor and integrity of doing FZs music
in a way that is honest to the composer as one could ever expect.

I do hope anyone including "cozylittlefooties" can see through this lapse of reasoning.
But who knows maybe someone will soon say Jeff Beck is kick starting his career
with getting Narada Michael Wallden back on board.
Some fans are just "WIRED" with negativity.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:52 pm 

Agreed upon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:16 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
cozylittlefooties wrote:

What a box o' turds.
Dweezil Zappa has had his own solo career going since 1982.
Be it if his energies are towards his fathers music at any given moment in time
or he gets involved with solo and collaborative efforts Dweezil Zappa is the real deal.
Dweezil Zappa has set the standards that no other artist since Frank Zappa has ever accomplished.

Dweezil Zappa's all around approach to music and performance has changed so much
for him to be able to do the right thing by his fathers musical standards.
Not that his writing and performance style was not worthy of a long history
of good music but DZPZ is all about honor and integrity of doing FZs music
in a way that is honest to the composer as one could ever expect.

I do hope anyone including "cozylittlefooties" can see through this lapse of reasoning.
But who knows maybe someone will soon say Jeff Beck is kick starting his career
with getting Narada Michael Wallden back on board.
Some fans are just "WIRED" with negativity.

Wow. I stand corrected. Just an observation, that's all.