Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Texas Run Nov. '09
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:09 am 

8)
Getting excited about the up coming TX run this month!

Anyone else hitting the performances in TX?

I've never been to Stubb's in Austin but I envision a venue much like KC crossroads in KC this past summer.

After Austin it's on to Dallas (House Of Blues) > Houston (HOB)... I've only ever been to the New Orleans HOB and wonder if they will be seated shows etc...? I have seat numbers &" floor" on my tickets but the seating charts do little to shed light on the situation...?

Anyone ever been to shows at these venues?

Post subject: Re: Texas Run Nov. '09
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:29 am 

Texas? Uh...no.
Image[img]

Post subject: re: texas motel
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:17 am 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:19 pm 

8) :P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:51 pm 

I'm taking my 9 year old son to his first concert on the Nov 19th show. First show of the fall/winter tour too. Cant wait! Stubbs is an outdoor venue which should be a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:35 pm 

I saw David Lee Roth there in 1999. They basically set up a stage in the empty lot behind the restaurant.

I'm looking forward to it, too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:27 am 

This is going to be a great show. I've been to many Venues in Austin and Stubbs has to be one of my favorites!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:56 am 

Phlakaton wrote:
I'm taking my 9 year old son to his first concert on the Nov 19th show. First show of the fall/winter tour too. Cant wait! Stubbs is an outdoor venue which should be a lot of fun.

Great to hear! Hope you both enjoy the experience. I'm sure the Tour opener will be great fun!

I've seen some really bad "first shows of the tour" in recent years...Just last month I saw Rickie Lee Jones start her tour with a completely unrehearsed band, it was awful (for her & for us in attendance... side note, I saw her a few nights later and she was much better, still not as good as she could have been but much better than the tour opener).
That said, ZpZ has spoiled me for other live experiences that are not well rehearsed. One thing is for sure, a Zappa's band will always be WELL rehearsed ! :wink:

mayuka wrote:
This is going to be a great show. I've been to many Venues in Austin and Stubbs has to be one of my favorites!

Excellent! I hope the weather is nice. The band has friends in Austin so they should all be in good spirits and excited to get the tour off to a strong start. :mrgreen: Viva Live Zappa !!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:48 pm 

Long story short, I'm a 35-year fan of FZ, and will be going to my 8th ZPZ show in Dallas a week from today, and my 9th here in my hometown of Houston the next day.

First, I hope to see many of the fine members of this Forum at each show - I'm so glad that ZPZ is finally coming back to Texas - have had to fly to Chicago last year (for the "You Can't Fit That On Stage" tour) and California (2 dates from the spring of this year) to get my "fix"!

Also, I ended up with two extra PRIME lower Center Balcony seats (Row C) for the Dallas show - I hopped on them from the HOB presale, because I thought HOB only had standing GA on the floor. I sat in these same seats when I came up to see Porcupine Tree in '07, and the sight lines and sound are excellent - the entire stage is laid out in front of you.

Then, they came up with the VIP seats, and, well, I just HAD to get those. So, I am hoping to sell the extra pair for no more than what I paid for them. No lower balcony remain for this show, and I was hoping to both help out a fellow Zappa fan and recoup some of my funds...

So, if any Dallas-area fans are interested, please let me know somehow - the complication is that my old Forum account somehow got locked out (I can't begin to imagine why), and I can't even get the "Forgot Password" link to work (I'm not "authorized" - again, can't imagine why), and I don't see a link to contact the Admin when I can't login in the first place - argh.

Since I'm "new" now, I cannot send or receive PMs.

So, please forgive me that, and, if you might be interested, please reply to this post and I'll see how we can make contact.

Thanks to all, and see you at the shows!

Yours in FZ,

Leo

P.S. I had to post this in the Activation thread in order to even be able to post here - I sincerely apologize for the duplicate post, but this is the thread where I really needed it to be! Thank you once again.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:42 pm 

The last kick off show I saw was Return To Forever here in Austin at the Paramount... that smoked for sure. I have faith ZPZ will be all over it. I hope to meet Joe Travers again like I did back in Vegas the 2nd time I saw them. He was really cool to the wife and I in the restaurant before the show when he came over to our table and said hello after he noticed I recognized him on his way in to eat.

My son is a fan and appreciates the complexity of the music... wish my old man had taken me to something like that when I was 9! Maybe we can get some commentary out of Dweezil during the show when we try to general admission squeeze to the front at some point. lol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:38 am 

Update as of 11/15/09:

I was able to sell my extra Dallas tickets (thanks to all for your indulgence!) - but I would still be interested in pre-gig festivities for the Dallas and Houston shows...anyone?

Getting excited...

Leo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:07 pm 

other than my son getting super tired and wrangling me from the front of the stage the show tonight was excellent! the new songs were badass. I wont ruin it for anyone so be ready. they hammered it tonight! Eric Johnson came out for Carolina Hardcore too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:54 pm 

Austin !!!!!
Great show tonight and super way to start the tour.

More new songs in the set list than not, Awesome! 8) :mrgreen:

Spoiler alert....!! Setlist below....!!!!

> = Seque :wink:
* = first time played

Apostrophe ( Pete Griffin is the Apostrophe !)
Broken Hearts are for assholes>
Jones Crusher* (I think this was a first time played)>
Bamboozled
T'Mershi Duween * >
Keep it greasy*
You didn't try to call me (1976 version *** see related thread ~ Scheila Gonzalez on vocals, AWESOME!) * >
Road ladies*
RDNZL*
Crew Slut *>
Mammy Anthem
Ms. Pinky * (Thing fish beat)
San Bernardino
Purple lagoon>
Carolina hard core (w/ special guest Eric Johnson)
Yellow snow>
Montana>
Muffin Man (w/ special guest Eric Johnson)

Encore:
Pound for a brown (band solos)
Willie the pimp
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :!: :!: :!:

Ben Thomas was GREAT tonight, he is adding a very nice dimension to the line up IMO. He Killed Bamboozled, nice addition to "You didn't try to call me" and he owned Road ladies!! Eric Johnson was very good, he & DZ played real well off of eachother, excellent player!! DZ was relaxed and in great spirits, the whole band was having fun!
The venue sounded great, Glynn on the FOH board dialed them in with a super THICK sound!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:22 am 

SolDad wrote:
Austin !!!!!
Great show tonight and super way to start the tour.

More new songs in the set list than not, Awesome! 8) :mrgreen:

Ben Thomas was GREAT tonight, he is adding a very nice dimension to the line up IMO. He Killed Bamboozled, nice addition to "You didn't try to call me" and he owned Road ladies!! Eric Johnson was very good, he & DZ played real well off of eachother, excellent player!! DZ was relaxed and in great spirits, the whole band was having fun!
The venue sounded great, Glynn on the FOH board dialed them in with a super THICK sound!

Thanks for the review SolDad.
Two of those new selections, in that being Road Ladies & RDNZL have for some time been
at the top of my request list. The new 8 that DZ mentioned the were premiered yesterday evening
along with some material that fittingly suited the Frank Zappa history of Austin Texas Adventures
and but also Eric Johnson seemingly made for quite the tour opener. 23 shows later with close to a month of
touring down time in December will make for the rescheduled NJ Welmmont Theater show on January 16th something really special.
Dweezil has even hinted at more new material. Wonder could there be a Fillmore Suite.
Hopefully ZPZs appearance on the Jimmy Fallon show in NYC was rescheduled where I am hoping Road Ladies is a
performance.

Yes GLYNN is the man. I would like to know where you were situated in the stereo spectrum
and what your opinion of Ben Thomas projection was. Ben Thomas's Tonal Palate has never been of question
for he tonally sounds spectacular but there are occasions where his projection is not as dominant as one may like
and I am sure that has been a goal to project more. Additionally have you seen DZ use the Fractal Tonal RIG before this show.

I thought DZs usage of Fractal was not only spectacular but redefining a touring live guitar rig in the last three shows I last saw being ZPZ Poughkeepsie,
Progressive Nation Chevrolet Theater and ZPZ Higher Ground Ballroom Burlington VT. make no mistake I thought the Twin Towers Rig used
in 2007 was the finest massive Rig I have ever heard. What I have been talking about since 2008 when I first saw DZ use this was not only did this new Fractal Rig
not only deliver the goods but it more reliable night in and night out and cuts down on some touring overhead in these difficult economic times.
Plain and simple that Fractal may very well be the best thing I have ever heard. Be it I was 99.99% in the best possible audience location for fidelity the Fractal Rig,
how DZ has configured it and how Dweezil Zappa plays guitar it is the Bomb.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:22 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
Be it I was 99.99% in the best possible audience location for fidelity the Fractal Rig

Where was the other .01% of you?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:45 am 

FalseDichotomy wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
Be it I was 99.99% in the best possible audience location for fidelity the Fractal Rig

Where was the other .01% of you?

I was 100% in the 99.99% best location
directly behind Glynn ZPZs sound man who was in the best location.

For someone who cares little about ZPZ why do you bother to come here in ZPZ Topics
with your extreme negativity. Please find a postive side if you want to participate
in these discussions of ZPZ. May I suggest taking a Robert Fripp Guitar Craft course.

Spend 2 days staring at a triangle pick before you can even begin to become a Robert Fripp Tree.
Dweezil spent 2 years studying and reinventing his guitar craft fro ZPZ.
2 days staring at Robert Fripp picks is a common start for those who want to be a Fripp Clone.
If and when you find that Fripp Clones are good enough for the world at large
then maybe you will realize the extreme positive energy of what ZPZ is about.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:54 am 

Because I enjoy pushing your buttons, my automaton friend. Wind you up and watch you go. Be seeing you. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:47 am 

FalseDichotomy wrote:
Because I enjoy pushing your buttons, my automaton friend. Wind you up and watch you go. Be seeing you. :wink:

Yeah...Trendy's like a Helen Keller doll...wind it up, and watch it walk into walls! :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:53 am 

Ben Thomas was a big question mark for me before I saw the show last night but he did a fine job and I have been converted from the skeptic to the satisfied. He was humble and often times just sat at the back when he wasnt involved. I like him.

Mammy Anthem was probably my favorite piece of the night... it was heavy duty!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:02 am 

just plain doug wrote:
FalseDichotomy wrote:

Yeah...Trendy's like a Helen Keller doll...wind it up, and watch it walk into walls! :)

But does he play a mean pinball?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:07 am 

just plain doug wrote:
FalseDichotomy wrote:

What about all those Robert Fripp Helen Keller Dolls.
Give them a room and a triangle pick.
Even the blind can see those picks.
Stare At The Pick meditating for two days.
You can learn how to sound exactly like Robert Fripp.
Now I can see where many people want generations of Robert Fripp Bobble Head Dolls.
Sure fine whatever rocks your boat. Guitar Craft is fine if that is what you are looking for
in your education.

Dweezil Zappa Plays Zappa
Thank you very much. Love what you have been doing for the last 4 years.
Unexpected Perfection is becoming the expected.
2010 moving forward the possibilities are limitless.
Yes educational opportunities will be part of the future
and I am ever so proud that it will be far beyond creating future Frank Zappa clones.
Yes Dweezil Zappa students may learn aspects of molding sound and that guitar composition is beyond a key
signature whereby learning to think of contours and shapes in creating air sculptures but somehow
spending two days meditating on a pair of zircon encrusted tweezers have little to nothing to do of
what it takes to get you there.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Last edited by Trendmonger on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:35 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
FalseDichotomy wrote:

What about all those Robert Fripp Helen Keller Dolls....

Exactly..what about them? R. Fripp has nothing to do with the subject of ZFT and you, so why bring 'em up at all?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:42 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
Now I can see where many people want generations of Robert Fripp Bobble Head Dolls.

Where can you see that? Who are these many people? Do they have a website?

I would buy a Fripp bobblehead and an FZ bobblehead too.

Life isn't binary, Trendy. And appreciation isn't always a matter of either/or. Meditate on that for a couple days.

"I am large -- I contain multitudes" -- Walt Whitman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:12 am 

Dallas HOB
11/20/09
Fun show, the crowd energy was a step down from the previous night in Austin until towards the end of the show (Big difference between a stand up, outdoor vibe and a sit down, indoor vibe ~ both good just different.)
Sound was very good, not as "Thick" as the outdoor gig but crystal clear. The new tunes are excellent, Ben is spot on! Ms. G is Killin' "You didn't try to call me" . JK's solo work in Crew slut is very tasty. Billy & SG were both on fire tonight. DZ's tone was great as were his solos. Great show folks, see you tomorrow in Houston. :wink:

More trouble everyday
Jones Crusher>
Bamboozled by love>
T'Mershi Duween >
Keep it greasy
You didn't try to call me >
Road ladies
RDNZL
Crew Slut
Apostrophe
Ms. Pinky
San Bernardino
Purple lagoon>
My Guitar wants to kill your mama
Cosmic Debris

encore:
Yellow snow >
Peaches
Zomby Woof
Muffin Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:53 am 

Houston HOB Saturday Nov. 21

I'm Slime>
Jones Crusher>
Bamboozled by Love>
T'Mershi Duween >
Keep it greasy
You didn't try to call me >
Road ladies
RDNZL
Crew Slut
Apostrophe
Ms. Pinky
San Bernardino
Purple lagoon>
Montana>
More Trouble Everyday (Band solos w/ special guest Marshall Harrison on impossible guitar)
Token of my extreme

Encore:
Yellow Snow>
Peaches>
Willie the pimp
Cosmic debris
Carolina Hardcore

Sound was great, band played well and was having fun. Carolina was a bonus added on to the end of the show.
This band is really hitting their stride, West coast folks are in for a treat, they seem to just get better & better.