Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Austin Hogg dvd update
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:22 am 

I talked to both Dweezil and the man in charge of recording the Live in Austin and Son of Roxy and Elsewhere last night, and he said they are gonna finish the Austin dvd and also start finishing the ZPZ Roxy show in January, hopefull release in the fall of 2010. He said it might be a double release, but not to sure. Anyways just wanted to say the Austin ZPZ show was not abandoned like some thought. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:28 am 

mayuka wrote:
There Once lived a man named Frank, he originally was a drummer but picked up a guitar. The world has never been the same...

Worst. Limerick. Ever. :wink: But maybe a decent haiku?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:29 am 

mayuka wrote:
I talked to both Dweezil and the man in charge of recording the Live in Austin and Son of Roxy and Elsewhere last night, and he said they are gonna finish the Austin dvd and also start finishing the ZPZ Roxy show in January, hopefull release in the fall of 2010. He said it might be a double release, but not to sure. Anyways just wanted to say the Austin ZPZ show was not abandoned like some thought. :)

Thanks for the update and good to hear the Austin show has something that was salvaged. I really didn't think it would see the light of day based on things I was told last summer when I spoke to some of those in the know.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:00 pm 

psd wrote:
mayuka wrote:

Thanks for the update and good to hear the Austin show has something that was salvaged. I really didn't think it would see the light of day based on things I was told last summer when I spoke to some of those in the know.

Well PSD if it was you that was spreading the so called IN THE KNOW information
that placed a statement of, lets see if I can get this correct, a statement where the project was scrapped
because the masters/tapes sounded like crap label on that work in progress.
I for one would certainly never share any level of in the know information with you again because
something really got out of context and you or whoever placed an extreme disservice on what ZPZ has been
doing. ZPZ on their worst day is galaxies beyond what anyone else is doing in music.

Frank Zappa was very pissed in regards to Halloween Night of 1981 tapes because his UMRK Mobile guy
who I won't even name as to not overtly drag his name in the mud was under the influence.
He was a nice enough guy to let me in UMRK mobile on several occasions showing me lots of unreleased stuff
so I'll grant him that but getting stoned while on Franks payroll whereby your stonedness impedes Franks expectations
is fucked up..

Anyhow the recording did not come out up to FZs standards and he was pissed.
FZ did wind up using some of the material in live projects. Teh performances were very good that evening
but some engineering troubles set FZs off. I am passing no judgment in what happened at The Hog
but certainly FZ never put out a full show live CD from Zappa Halloween 81' adn that as much as any was
suited for such. Sometimes things do not turn out as planned.

Dweezil Zappa has very high standards and I could see as this ZPZ project moved forward that certain nights masters
may have yielded superior results off the bat or he may like what was happening during a certain phase over another
when the video machine was not running for 4 hours but I think it is more about a project that has moved forward with a sense of diversity
and all these projects from 2007 & 2008 will show that be it if the Hog show was or was not ZPZs best night up to that point
ZPZ is about progress and moving forward.

While I was not at The Hog I have seen so many arrangements ZPZ was doing in 2007 that was not done at The Roxy
and will not be in that DVD unless their is a combo or hybrid Son OF ROxy & Elsewhere production
so there is much to look forward to of that 4 hour show. Also some of the common songs DZ may have been using a strat for
some songs in 2007 where in 2008 he may have moved over to the SG for the same song.

I for one never placed an ounce of credibility in your so called IN THE KNOW because I am sure it is not only out of context
but should never have been talked of publicly. Unfortunately some fans are looking for any negativity so that they may continue
to ride their wave of negativity. Please stop feeding the fanaskeptasaureous. That commentary was of a severe disservice.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 8 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:17 pm 

Wow, someone is really cranky tonight. Have some Ovaltine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:33 pm 

Quote:
ZPZ on their worst day is galaxies beyond what anyone else is doing in music.

Why?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:41 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:

Okay, I will take the bait. Who would be any bands/artists that are in the galaxy closest to ZPZ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:18 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Quote:

Why?

OK now that it has minimally been announced one place publicly
I think I can let you in on a little something
that I have known about for quite some time.

So the answer to your question is

http://dweezilzappaworld.com/

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:13 am 

FalseDichotomy wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:

Okay, I will take the bait. Who would be any bands/artists that are in the galaxy closest to ZPZ?

OK, I'll play. I've seen a number of bands in the past couple years that are comparable to ZPZ in terms of:
Technical playing ability, Sound presentation quality, and Overall entertainment value.

They are (in no particular order): Dream Theater, Rush, Tool, Steve Vai. Then there are a whole host of bands that may not be as technically proficient as ZPZ but are just buttloads of fun.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:34 am 

blsabob23 wrote:
FalseDichotomy wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:

OK, I'll play. I've seen a number of bands in the past couple years that are comparable to ZPZ in terms of:
Technical playing ability, Sound presentation quality, and Overall entertainment value.

They are (in no particular order): Dream Theater, Rush, Tool, Steve Vai. Then there are a whole host of bands that may not be as technically proficient as ZPZ but are just buttloads of fun.

I agree with you that these are all excellent live bands.

What irks me about Trendy's statement is its purposeful vagueness. It is basically a non-statement, as it doesn't specify what ZPZ is doing that is so much greater than all else. It's a puff-piece, Sarah Palin statement that cannot be proved or disproved because it has no intrinsic meaning or factual support.

If Trendy had said that ZPZ is galaxies beyond how any tribute band approaches and faithfully represents the composer's music, then we could have a good discussion full of examples and comparisons. Or if he had said that ZPZ has the best sound system out of all live bands today, again a discussion could be had.

As it stands, his statement is no more than a vacuous blurb on the inside flap of a novel.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:06 am 

Trendy is a Religious Fanatic.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:45 pm 

buffalo_voice wrote:
Trendy is a Religious Fanatic.

In the religion of Zappa, Trendy is Pat Robertson :shock: :shock: :shock:

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:36 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
psd wrote:
mayuka wrote:

Well PSD if it was you that was spreading the so called IN THE KNOW information that placed a statement of, lets see if I can get this correct, a statement where the project was scrapped because the masters/tapes sounded like crap label on that work in progress. I for one would certainly never share any level of in the know information with you again because
something really got out of context and you or whoever placed an extreme disservice on what ZPZ has been doing. ZPZ on their worst day is galaxies beyond what anyone else is doing in music.

I for one never placed an ounce of credibility in your so called IN THE KNOW because I am sure it is not only out of context but should never have been talked of publicly. Unfortunately some fans are looking for any negativity so that they may continue to ride their wave of negativity. Please stop feeding the fanaskeptasaureous. That commentary was of a severe disservice.

Trendy I don't need your approval nor will I defend or reveal who I spoke to. It was a casual conversation that took place over a year ago. At that time, the Austin show, which had been discussed previously as a possible DVD release, wasn't being considered for commercial release. Obviously something has changed since then.

I'm happy as I noted that Dweezil's Pygmy Twylyte solos were some of the finest I have heard and was hoping they would be captured for repeated listening. Now it appears that they may be.

How's that Halloween countdown coming? 333 days or so, right?