Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Censorship & Points
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:50 am 

Knowing how hard Frank worked against censorship, I find it funny, a little ironic and yes, even sad to see that DZ actually censors himself in the official setlists on http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/events as demonstrated below:

Atlanta, GA
Jan 11, 2010 at 08:30 PM - Variety Playhouse
Reviews, Requests and Setlist
1 BLACK NAPKINS - SEGUE
2 T'MERSHI DUWEEN - SEGUE
3 KEEP IT GREASY
4 BROKEN HEARTS ARE FOR A******S - SEGUE
5 JONES CRUSHER - SEGUE
6 PEACHES EN REGALIA - SEGUE
7 YELLOW SNOW
8 ST ALFONZO'S PANCAKE BREAKFAST
9 FATHER O’BLIVION
10 YOU DIDN'T TRY TO CALL ME - SEGUE
11 ROAD LADIES
12 MS PINKY
13 WINO MAN
14 PURPLE LAGOON - DRUM BREAK
15 APOSTROPHE
16 CATHOLIC GIRLS
17 CREW S**T
18 OUTSIDE NOW
19 COSMIK DEBRIS - END OF SHOW

ENCORE:

20 RDNZL - SHORTER SOLOS
21 SAN BERDINO
22 WILLIE THE PIMP - OR MUFFIN MAN

Slut? Really??

Anyway, can someone tell me what these "points" are for that you can earn on his site? I see how many points u can earn from any given activity, but I can't seem to find any explanation of what to do with them once you've got them. Is it just to keep track of how much unnecessary spare time you have? What The F***?
Please enlighten me. :|

Post subject: Re: Censorship & Points
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:51 am 

Dweezil Zappa World
Blogs DZ Blog

Points...I'd like to point something out...

by Dweezil
Dec 13, 2009 07:03 PM

Hello Everyone,

Some of you have been wondering what the point system is all about. Here's the basic idea. If you actively participate in the site by referring new users and sharing your personal Dweezil/Zappa Plays Zappa/FZ experiences you will be eligible to win special prizes somewhere down the road in 2010.

Prizes such as downloads, tickets and passes, t-shirts, and other fun stuff will be awarded to top point collectors. I'm collecting the statistics now. I need to make a few decisions on how to best implement this concept before I start awarding prizes. I'll keep you posted.

Until then, keep the basic premise in mind - DZ/ZPZ/FZ related stories are the crux of the buscuit. Those are the things that will getting you closer to winning prizes. Personal photos and personal entry points will be excluded/subtracted.

Feel free to ask any questions or offer ideas for special competitions.

I look forward to hearing from you and seeing what you all get up to on the site. So far it feels like a living breathing organism.

Regards, DZ http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/posts/27

As far as the Censorship thing go's it's not Dweezil himself censoring what he or we as members of the site post it's his Moderators/Administration that has it censored,since it is a Family oriented place to be & they do not want to hurt any ones feelings !

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:04 am 

Update
because grown people where acting like kid's,some still are post Gabbage for points suppose they not seen the update :wink:

Too Much?

Hello Everyone,
Happy New Year Year! Well almost. I can see that many of you are passing through this digital vestibule and taking up residency in your very own Stucco Homes here. I'm glad that this place is ever evolving. The community feels warm and inviting and that makes me happy.
As we continue to make improvements I'm looking into a few things that are important to a lot of you. This site does generate a lot of content and as a result it notifies you of the exciting new things that you could be viewing. We are looking into altering the e-mail structure of the site to better suit individual requirements. I will keep you posted - not via e-mail!
Also I have noticed that there is a campaign among some very exciteable users to greet everyone who ever enters the site. Sometimes multiple times. This can be a bit overwhleming to the new folks. Perhaps you might consider giving everyone an adjustment period and a little breathing room?
I noticed a small trend in video content too. I will be posting some specific "language" in the video upload registry that should be read.
The crux of the biscuit is - Please refrain from using Frank Zappa recordings as the background of your own video content. The reason I mention this is because it does technically require a synchronization license. In order to keep enjoying your video area as you like it we must all comply. After all, the official Frank Zappa site is zappa.com and we want to keep the feathers smooth over there.
The performances of people playing over the top of Frank Zappa recordings will likely need to be removed and no more video recordings of that nature should be posted. To clarify, you can post a video of yourself playing a piece of Frank Zappa music, you just need to be flying solo!
Anyway, I will keep adding more new stuff as we go. Many great suggestions have been posted to the New Features! forum. Please keep them coming. That way we can really make this place even better.
I thank you all once again for making this such a fun place to hang out. Best wishes to all of you for the new year. See you on the road!
Regards, DZ

http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/posts/93

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:19 am 

That's f****d up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:59 am 

Tripmyster wrote:

As far as the Censorship thing go's it's not Dweezil himself censoring what he or we as members of the site post it's his Moderators/Administration that has it censored,since it is a Family oriented place to be & they do not want to hurt any ones feelings !

Come on, really? Since when anything Zappa is or should be "Family oriented"?
Any fan/parent that attempts to recruit their children into the world of Frank Zappa should be well aware of what's to come. Family freindly=Zappa=You're only kidding yourself and your kids. I'll bet you a forty dollar bill.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:01 am 

cozylittlefooties wrote:
Tripmyster wrote:

Any fan/parent that attempts to recruit their children into the world of Frank Zappa should be well aware of what's to come. Family freindly=Zappa=You're only kidding yourself and your kids. I'll bet you a forty dollar bill.

And since when did Frank give a fuck about hurting anyone's feelings?. I don't know, maybe Dweezil does.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:03 am 

"Also I have noticed that there is a campaign among some very exciteable users to greet everyone who ever enters the site. Sometimes multiple times."

I joined the site when it first came about, but have not really used it yet (primarily been here), but the above statement explains why some other member as been inundating me with messages.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:06 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
That's f****d up.

hehe :D
That's some funny sh*t right there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:13 am 

cozylittlefooties wrote:
cozylittlefooties wrote:
Tripmyster wrote:

And since when did Frank give a fuck about hurting anyone's feelings?. I don't know, maybe Dweezil does.

"Some of you may not agree...but you probably likes a lot of misery" :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:33 am 

So when they sang the songs that were asterisked, did they go "Broken Hearts Are For Hmm-mmm" and "She's a crew sport?"

And "gonna ram it, ram it, ram it, ram it up your bottom chute"?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:39 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
So when they sang the songs that were asterisked, did they go "Broken Hearts Are For Hmm-mmm" and "She's a crew sport?"

Nope, only P/O changes the lyrics around... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:49 am 

SolDad wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Not counting Frank, hisself, of course (back when he was still mobile).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:51 am 

just plain doug wrote:
SolDad wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Not counting Frank, hisself, of course (back when he was still mobile).

You are correct but the composer retains the right to express his thoughts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:47 pm 

On censoring the song titles.

It's his website, his choice, but I think it is the wrong choice.
I don't know all the reasoning behind it though, so that's all I'll say for now.

"Whose foot is to be the measure to which ours are all to be cut or stretched? Is a priest to be our inquisitor, or shall a layman, simple as ourselves, set up his reason as the rule for what we are to read and what we must believe?" T.J.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:57 pm 

cozylittlefooties wrote:
[...]
17 CREW S**T
[...]
Slut? Really??

I wonder how many people thought it said "CREW SHIT."

I mean, which is worse: what's behind the green door, or what might be behind the green door?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:15 pm 

Worse?

There is nothing wrong with either.
But I take your point.

*EDIT*
I occasionally point out when the "enemies" jargon is being used in a defensive argument, if we allow them to control the way in which we describe the issue we have already lost ground. So for instance, if one uses the term worse, it presupposes that there is something wrong with either word (or more accurately both words), but that is not really the position that we want to take, or the point we want to make. What we are trying to say is, there is nothing wrong with this word so stop trying to force us to restrict our discourse to the level one might find appropriate for a toddler.
In case you decide to make the argument elsewhere, start from a strong position, force them to fight to redefine the value of the word.
Sorry if my initial comment seemed harsh without explanation, I was tired and in a bad mood. Something to do with dictionaries, and well...

"You can't even speak your own fucking language" FZ

"Whose foot is to be the measure to which ours are all to be cut or stretched? Is a priest to be our inquisitor, or shall a layman, simple as ourselves, set up his reason as the rule for what we are to read and what we must believe?" T.J.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:11 am 

MentalTossFlycoon

Allow me to apologize once again. I'm not trying to be an insulting dick, but I read the last post again, and realized that you might have thought I was.

I was cross referencing the ban of dictionaries in SoCal schools and the ongoing issue of people graduating from school without even being able to read or write (some statistics show this as a growing trend). In an attempt to keep things brief, I used the line by Frank. But reading it again I see where you might have thought I was saying it directly. If you understood what I was trying to say, cool, if not I apologize for any offense.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:58 am 

cozylittlefooties wrote:
Tripmyster wrote:

Look at this :arrow: http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/forums ... p-question

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:36 am 

Tripmyster wrote:
cozylittlefooties wrote:
Tripmyster wrote:

Look at this :arrow: http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/forums ... p-question

OK, so I went to the above link and pulled this off of it:

Ambassador-at-Large wrote on Feb 17, 2010 at 10:15 AM

So there you have it folks. But long after this has been answered some people in certain locations that fly different colors may at some point continue to go on and on about the artist being the censor even though the artist addressed the issue. I just deleted a long response, detailed but not necessary. Keeping it simple.... Internet Rage vs a Host Filter System that helps in part keep this a more friendly and polite place for the artist and the entire community. I know what Olympic Community Colors wins the gold metal. DZW.

PEACE

Actually, the artist is in fact, sort of indirectly censoring the site. Dweezil could always switch to a different "filter system".
I'm afraid in this particular instance, ole Frank would not be so proud of his son. Matter of fact, Frank would probably fire his ass. I mean, how much time and energy did FZ invest in this topic?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:12 pm 

It's time to teach you all BBP's Grand Forum Trick: If you don't like it, you can always leave! It won't make you any less a Dweezil fan, or a lesser FZ fan, or whatever place you turn your back to. Every internet community has its own set of rules, and if they make such rules that it chokes the board, it's their fault, they let the place run down, you don't have to swallow it.