Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: zpz and jeff beck
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:55 pm 

is zpz supporting more shows for beck than just the LA show? I certainly hope so. I bought a beck ticket to kansas city for a huge amount of money, and if ZPZ showed up, it would make my night. Beck will be great either way, but to have beck fans exposed to zpz would be icing on the cake.

anybody have any idea?

Post subject: Re: zpz and jeff beck
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:04 pm 

mudbuddy11 wrote:
is zpz supporting more shows for beck than just the LA show? I certainly hope so. I bought a beck ticket to kansas city for a huge amount of money, and if ZPZ showed up, it would make my night. Beck will be great either way, but to have beck fans exposed to zpz would be icing on the cake.

anybody have any idea?

No although he is opening for Jeff on his US tour, DZ announced that he would never play a crap bag city like KC... :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:22 pm 

Just for fun, I looked up this concert on the web.
Some places (like http://www.ticketliquidator.com/tix/beck-tickets.aspx ) list it as "Beck", as in "Beck David Campbell".
Others ( like http://www.livenation.com/edp/eventId/417723 ) list it as Jeff Beck.
I get the feeling some of the patrons are in for a surprise.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:33 pm 

crap bag city like kansas city... ok. cause he has played kansas city. I dont like the venue, but ya know, to each his own. remember, you dont even live in a city, your stuck somewhere in time.

i will laugh my ass off if I see some punk ass kids leave as soon as they realize it isnt beck, but jeff beck.... but really, would you buy tickets off a scam site like that without doing any research at all?

i cant imagine what would happen if dweezil and jeff took stage together. what in the world would they play? would their combined egos implode the venue?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:44 am 

I do not think their egos would collide,DZ would be at a decided disadvantage as J Beck has a much larger volume of work to choose from and imho is better at improv. DZ has done a great job memorizing Franks work though. DZ's personal work is quite limited.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:18 am 

mudbuddy11 wrote:
crap bag city like kansas city... ok. cause he has played kansas city. I dont like the venue, but ya know, to each his own. remember, you dont even live in a city, your stuck somewhere in time.

i will laugh my ass off if I see some punk ass kids leave as soon as they realize it isnt beck, but jeff beck.... but really, would you buy tickets off a scam site like that without doing any research at all?

i cant imagine what would happen if dweezil and jeff took stage together. what in the world would they play? would their combined egos implode the venue?

Just a joke...sorry my fountian city friends... 8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:37 pm 

i wasnt offended... just giving like i get

i also believe that over the years, dweezil has moved from mimicking his dads work to exploring the axe within the range that his dad would have. each year he has moved further away from an exact copy of a recording of his father and expanding it. He may start where his dad was, but then try to .... i dont want to say make it his own... but take the key his dad was in, and jam on it. I've seen each year of zpz, and each year is better for dweezil, and I'm personally more impressed with his ability than the year before. I think they could jam together, but their styles are so drasticly different, it could be great or it could be a friggin trainwreck.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:27 pm 

mudbuddy11 wrote:

i also believe that over the years, dweezil has moved from mimicking his dads work to exploring the axe within the range that his dad would have. each year he has moved further away from an exact copy of a recording of his father and expanding it. He may start where his dad was, but then try to .... i dont want to say make it his own... but take the key his dad was in, and jam on it. I've seen each year of zpz, and each year is better for dweezil, and I'm personally more impressed with his ability than the year before. I think they could jam together, but their styles are so drasticly different, it could be great or it could be a friggin trainwreck.

Yes, the last sample that I've heard of him jamming on a tune was a lot more Dweezil than Frank, I thought.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:07 pm 

I am concerned for concert goers after readying JPD post...they may think they are going to a different gig than they get.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:33 pm 

I'd like to know if ZPZ will be opening at other locations as well, I've been contemplating a road trip from Wisconsin to LA but I'd rather go to San Francisco because my wife has an uncle that lives there. He likes Frank's music and I've been telling him about ZPZ for several years and it would be fun to go to the concert with him.

This next part is a little off the OP's topic but I can't resist.

calvin2hikers wrote:
mudbuddy11 wrote:

Yes, the last sample that I've heard of him jamming on a tune was a lot more Dweezil than Frank, I thought.

My personal opinion is that he has take Frank's unique guitar style and merged it with his technical skill and speed (I'm pretty sure Frank himself said in an interview that Dweezil was a faster guitarist). Frank is my favorite guitarist of all time and Dweezil is a close second. Check out the Zombie Woof solo by Dweezil over on his site:

http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/songs/20

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:25 am 

ZPZ is only going to be playing LA.

I'll let you know how it goes. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:10 pm 

Wouldn't it be funny if ZPZ played, and then Glenn Beck came out and did a 3 hour speech? No? Well, maybe.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:58 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Wouldn't it be funny if ZPZ played, and then Glenn Beck came out and did a 3 hour speech? No? Well, maybe.

The humor in that instance would be lost on me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:01 pm 

The Black Page Part 2 wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

The humor in that instance would be lost on me

It's more of an ironic musing than an actual joke.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:53 pm 

Not a Glenn Beck fan but that's a funny image. Glenn could guest on I'm The Slime ala SNL '76 with his chalkboard scribbling the lyrics.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:11 pm 

I was hoping for an Abbie Hoffman/Townshend kind of thing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:58 pm 

ZPZ is only going to be playing LA.

I'll let you know how it goes. :wink:

Just announced- DZPZ supporting Jeff Beck; Bank Of America Pavilion, Boston

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/01004 ... ivenation&

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:58 pm 

Gee, aren't we lucky in the midwest. :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:28 pm 

If you guys check the overall list of current dates on ticketmaster, the ZPZ logo appears underneath the pic of JB once you click on most of the dates in question. So, it looks like ZPZ is opening for him during most of his tour (April - June)...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:26 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:

If you guys check the overall list of current dates on ticketmaster, the ZPZ logo appears underneath the pic of JB once you click on most of the dates in question. So, it looks like ZPZ is opening for him during most of his tour (April - June)...

I hope it's correct, but I think it's a ticketmaster screw up. Notice the image also says 'And Orchestra'. He's only playing with an orchestra in LA. Also, look at some of the venue pages. Cincy and Kingston, NY for example. They both state that Imelda May is the opener. I have a hunch they took the promo graphic for the LA show and stuck it in as their stock Jeff Beck photo. I hope I'm wrong though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:50 pm 

GreenHocher wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

I hope it's correct, but I think it's a ticketmaster screw up. Notice the image also says 'And Orchestra'. He's only playing with an orchestra in LA. Also, look at some of the venue pages. Cincy and Kingston, NY for example. They both state that Imelda May is the opener. I have a hunch they took the promo graphic for the LA show and stuck it in as their stock Jeff Beck photo. I hope I'm wrong though.

I'm pretty sure you are right.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:54 pm 

Yes, darn lucky. I'll have to check out the dates and see if they're coming anywhere near.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:59 am 

The ZPZ logo is gone. And after I just bought my tix. Good thing it's Jeff Beck, otherwise I'd be pissed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:23 am 

GreenHocher wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

I'm pretty sure you are right.

It is a screw-up. Only LA.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:34 pm 

I got my ticket in the mail last week.

April 17, 2010 Nokia Live
Jeff Beck and Zappa Plays Zappa
Orchestra pit Row RR :mrgreen: