Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Tel Aviv show
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:31 am 

Elvis Costello, Gil Scott-Heron, Carlos Santana and Bono/U2 have canceled shows in Israel this summer.

Think about it Dweezil.

US and UK based solidarity groups upholding Palestinian rights had urged these artists and others to cancel performances in Israel in order not to contribute to legitimizing Israel's occupation and apartheid against the Palestinian population.

From Elvis Costello's website:

http://www.elviscostello.com/#/news/it- ... plation/44
It Is After Considerable Contemplation....

It is after considerable contemplation that I have lately arrived at the decision that I must withdraw from the two performances scheduled in Israel on the 30th of June and the 1st of July.

One lives in hope that music is more than mere noise, filling up idle time, whether intending to elate or lament.

Then there are occasions when merely having your name added to a concert schedule may be interpreted as a political act that resonates more than anything that might be sung and it may be assumed that one has no mind for the suffering of the innocent.

I must believe that the audience for the coming concerts would have contained many people who question the policies of their government on settlement and deplore conditions that visit intimidation, humiliation or much worse on Palestinian civilians in the name of national security.

I am also keenly aware of the sensitivity of these themes in the wake of so many despicable acts of violence perpetrated in the name of liberation.

Some will regard all of this an unknowable without personal experience but if these subjects are actually too grave and complex to be addressed in a concert, then it is also quite impossible to simply look the other way.

I offer my sincere apologies for any disappointment to the advance ticket holders as well as to the organizers.

My thanks also go to the members of the Israeli media with whom I had most rewarding and illuminating conversations. They may regard these exchanges as a waste of their time but they were of great value and help to me in gaining an appreciation of the cultural scene.

I hope it is possible to understand that I am not taking this decision lightly or so I may stand beneath any banner, nor is it one in which I imagine myself to possess any unique or eternal truth.

It is a matter of instinct and conscience.

It has been necessary to dial out the falsehoods of propaganda, the double game and hysterical language of politics, the vanity and self-righteousness of public communiqués from cranks in order to eventually sift through my own conflicted thoughts.

I have come to the following conclusions.

One must at least consider any rational argument that comes before the appeal of more desperate means.

Sometimes a silence in music is better than adding to the static and so an end to it.

I cannot imagine receiving another invitation to perform in Israel, which is a matter of regret but I can imagine a better time when I would not be writing this.

With the hope for peace and understanding. Elvis Costello

Post subject: Re: Tel Aviv show
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:03 pm 

I hadn't realized those musicians had canceled their performances in Israel. Great for them! The Dweeze should too, although I have no idea what he feels about Israel.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:36 pm 

it would be a good thing for zpz not to play ,theres an apartheid situation going on over there . which is just wrong

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:59 am 

I totally agree. All music, and the listening of it, should be politically motivated. Lord knows, I'd hate to find out that any ideas presented in the music, might strike a chord with the audience, and perhaps plant a seed of change.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:42 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
I totally agree. All music, and the listening of it, should be politically motivated. Lord knows, I'd hate to find out that any ideas presented in the music, might strike a chord with the audience, and perhaps plant a seed of change.

Music doesn't change a thing. It can affect a few, but it can't change history.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:33 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

Not with an attitude like that, no.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:42 am 

richieG wrote:
Elvis Costello, Gil Scott-Heron, Carlos Santana and Bono/U2 have canceled shows in Israel this summer.

Think about it Dweezil.

US and UK based solidarity groups upholding Palestinian rights had urged these artists and others to cancel performances in Israel in order not to contribute to legitimizing Israel's occupation and apartheid against the Palestinian population.

WHAT ABOUT THE THROAT CUTTERS IN DIRTY NIGHT SHIRTS THAT LEAD THE PALESTINIANS ? OH I FORGOT.....YOU FORGOT
"The single biggest threat facing America is the rise of Islamofascism in this country. While the throat-cutters in dirty nightshirts beheaded Americans... clueless educators encouraged tolerance for Muslims precisely at the same time many imams from the religion of peace were assailing American infidels. Insanity!"

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:51 am 

Arch Oboler wrote:
richieG wrote:

Think about it Dweezil.

WHAT ABOUT THE THROAT CUTTERS IN DIRTY NIGHT SHIRTS THAT LEAD THE PALESTINIANS ? OH I FORGOT.....YOU FORGOT
"The single biggest threat facing America is the rise of Islamofascism in this country. While the throat-cutters in dirty nightshirts beheaded Americans... clueless educators encouraged tolerance for Muslims precisely at the same time many imams from the religion of peace were assailing American infidels. Insanity!"

There is absolutely no difference between foriegn militant terrorists and domestic militant terrorists in regards to the US. The so-called "Islamofascists" that you refer to are exactly the same as the anti-Obama Tea Party-White Supremacist gun totin' anti-labor hate crowd. The threat is just as ominous. Just ask the Tea Party white guy who flew a plane into an IRS building a few months back. :roll:

There have been far more acts of domestic Conservative based terrorism commited in America with much higher casualty rates than all foriegn terrorist acts coomited against our country on our own soil combined. Terrorism is terrorism, regardless of religion, nationality, skin color, sexual orientation, gender and/or political views. Basically, you are full of shit and nobody here is remotely buying into it Arch Obeler.

In regards to who's band plays where, music is the one thing that may bring peace before any psuedo-corporate, political or religious controlled entity. I question the reasoning to not play. Is it because of the corporations who run the record companies, or is it because that it's a volitile war torn area in the midst of a Civil war (or something entirely different)?

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:12 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

Not with an attitude like that, no.

It's never changed history. Bombs and bullets usually do.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:12 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
Arch Oboler wrote:
richieG wrote:

Think about it Dweezil.

There is absolutely no difference between foriegn militant terrorists and domestic militant terrorists in regards to the US. The so-called "Islamofascists" that you refer to are exactly the same as the anti-Obama Tea Party-White Supremascist gun totin' anti-labor hate crowd. The threat is just as ominous. Just ask the Tea Party white guy who flew a plane into an IRS building a few months back. :roll:

Terrorism is terrorism, regardless of religion, nationality, skin color, sexual orientation, gender and/or political views.

You do not compute....One stupid white guy with a bad haircut killing some innocents is of course repugnant to all able thinking persons.
To radical islam its a way of life.
Remember what I said....you can take the race card and shove it...I always said that I would support a black woman if......if she did two things, First kill all our enemy's and at the same time protect our borders from lawbreakers and then be nice to everyone!

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:22 pm 

Maybe it's the "dirty nightshirts" that make all the difference.

:roll:

Hey, Spacebrother, well said.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:54 am 

Arch Oboler wrote:
kill all our enemy's

So, your enemy owns something that you want a black woman to kill?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:22 am 

arch oboler ,.......................... dumb all over and maybe a little ugly on the side

dont bother to post a reply , your not worth my time

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:55 pm 

Dweezil , play in Tel Aviv. Do not listen to the ones like the UN and Ombambi, who always believe... Israel is guilty until proven guilty. Helen Thomas White House reporter, spoke the truth last week , the thoughts of most whom call themselves progressive, what ever that means.

My first FZ concert , March 14th 1974 Agrodome Vancouver.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:15 pm 

Pixies and Gorillaz.....

http://music-mix.ew.com/2010/06/07/gori ... l-concert/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:55 pm 

I am not sure how the Israelis got such a bad rap on this one, they are surrounded by people who would wipe them off the planet if given the chance and who raise their children watching cartoons about the Jews that would make a Nazi blush. The most popular game played by preteen Palestinian children is “Kill the Jew”, with populism like that it does not surprise me the Israelis are playing it safe. The whole peace process as it has been called was hijacked years ago by Muslimism extremist and the land the Jews have occupied was taken after being attacked by the Muslims.

It doesn’t help that the Israelis are trying to build the Palestinians out of the region, but as we all should know there was never a Palestinian state and these so called Palestinians are simply Nomads that originated in countries like Jordon and Syria and therefore actually have no more legitimate claim to this land than the Israelis who we know through history had it as a traditional homeland.

I don’t like what is happening there anymore than anyone else but I believe we missed the boat on a true peace years ago and this one may come down to winner take all. I would possibly cancel a show there out of simple safety reasons and move on.

By the way I am with Spacebrother when it comes to these so called Tea Baggers, their rhetoric is designed to incite the same kind of upheaval we see in other parts of the world, that shit needs to be snuffed out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:32 pm 

Plook wrote:

By the way I am with Spacebrother when it comes to these so called Tea Baggers, their rhetoric is designed to incite the same kind of upheaval we see in other parts of the world, that shit needs to be snuffed out.

You do not compute....One stupid white guy with a bad haircut killing some innocents is of course repugnant to all able thinking persons.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:33 am 

Hey man, calm down, there is no need to shout...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:46 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Hey man, calm down, there is no need to shout...

Yes there is

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:45 am 

No need to whisper, either... :wink:

Maybe that is the main problem with this (and every other existing) discussion: It is alway taken to extremes, which obfuscates the main issue in focus...

Feeling so Peccary today. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:54 am 

Arch Oboler wrote:
Plook wrote:

The Tea Baggers mantra is “We want our country back”, they say we need to get back to how it was before the radicals in the 60’s ruined the country. That translates to the 50’s when if you were not white, male, straight, or were “different” (any creative person) you were repressed. Even worse the fact that you were outside this “ruling class” meant you were at risk of being beaten or even killed. The majority of Tea Baggers are not simply looking for third party alternatives to the political problems that we all recognize, they want to take the country back to when they ruled and kept everyone else in line.

This is exemplified by the ridicules “open carry” movement which is way beyond gun rights, it is a show of armed force in public, and the message “we are prepared to take violent action if we do not get what we want”. They consider the current President a “foreign born” enemy of the country and if they are not successful at the ballot box, I hesitate to see what will begin to happen over the next 2 years and beyond if President Obama was to win a second term.

For that reason they are no different than the Islamic Extremist of the world, they are willing to do what it takes to force others to submit to their will. Just like with the Islamic Terrorists, it starts with a few acts by either disjointed small groups or individuals and eventually the larger more organized groups start going off after they do not see the necessary changes taking place. What the hell do you think all those militias are preparing for, it sure isn’t a Tea Party?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:51 pm 

Actually , I thought the ' TEA ' party came around a few years ago as an accronym for " TAXED ENOUGH ALREADY " .

I know what they have morphed into , but I gotta agree with the origin of TEA , if that's in fact what it stood for. :?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:05 am 

Okay, can somebody explain me this: why does somebody think his argument becomes more valid if he uses larger letters? It just becomes more annoying to read.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:17 am 

BBP wrote:
Okay, can somebody explain me this: why does somebody think his argument becomes more valid if he uses larger letters? It just becomes more annoying to read.

Its Just for fun my knitting girl friend!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:19 am 

Michael Savage: Obama may be foreign 'usurper'
Radio host decries 'extreme dangers' of president with 'dual allegiances'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZMJ2bUp ... _embedded#!