Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:30 pm 

Wow! Just got home from this show. My mind was blown again. Hard to believe that the fourth show in Seattle since Dec 2006 is still yet again the best. They have just gotten better and better every time. Dweezil you amaze me. The entire band is amazing.

Jeff Simmons came up on stage and did "Wino Man" with the band - incredible!

Dweezil played a nearly perfect note-for-note Van Halen "Eruption" solo. I'm sure this was one of the first things he ever learned on guitar. Incredible.

The Moore Theater was packed or so I could see. By the third or fourth song everyone had piled in who remained downstairs in the bar. Maybe they "closed the bar" so everyone came upstairs to see the show. There were even people way up in the roof sitting in the second balcony. These seats are the epitome of "nose bleed" seats because you're perched on a very small wooden chair sitting on a very narrow concrete step and you are looking Straight Down at the stage. If you look straight ahead you see the roof. It is vertigo-inducing for sure. Fortunately for this show I was sitting in Row T on the main floor, but I sat way up in the nose bleed seating area when John Cleese came to Seattle a while ago. It was truly terrible.

I can't say how amazed I was - they played "Blessed Relief" and Dweeze mentioned that as far as they knew this song had never been played live before. It was truly gorgeous.

"Little House I Used To Live In" was excellent, what a performance. "Latex Solar Beef" another impressive performance.

They played for 3 hours as far as I could tell, what a deal for the money.

How long can these tours go on? Well Frank's catalog is so large that I suppose for another 20 years or so, or until Dweezil gets sick of his dads music, whichever comes first.

Thanks Dweezil, for coming to Seattle this year! My friend and I have been Zappa fans since 1984 when we were 15 years old. And we'll come to your shows every time you stop in Seattle.

Ben, the new dynamic male vocalist, was great too. And the keyboardist/vocalist, I forgot what your name was, but you were great singing "City of Tiny Lights"!

Shelia...what more do I need to say? Sax goddess.

Joe Travers rocks on the drums!

The bass player rocks - the eq on the lower notes is distorted though.

Ball gnomes???

-Dave in Seattle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:10 am 

Fan-fucking fantastic show. Even though the drinks were'n't cheap and it wasn't ladies night, the band was __tight__. The Mudshark, Simmons, diminutive poots of Hothead, Willie The Pimp, Little House I Used To Live In, it touched a lot of stones that have been lying around for the last 40+ years in this old heart. I fully expected Artis to materialize there too.

I was once again very glad to have had the opportunity to see and hear those uniquely seasoned slices of torqued pentatonic madness lifted up into the evening airs. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Kudos to Dweezil for not only carrying on the old mans articulations, but adding to it. There is no where in the musical oompahs that express that spirit like this.

I love Sheila's saxworks, Jamie shreds, Pete lavishes tiny equations on the manifolds of musical destiny, Billy brings it in crazy twisted pulsing patinas and of course, Joe's singing is positively equivariantly helical. Ben does add a dimensia or two.

But hey, so glad you made it to Seattle, my deepest commiserations regarding the effects of bad parenting and golf courses. Per usual, there's standing invitations to dinner Chez Highmen.