Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:46 pm 

When ZPZ last played here at the tiny Arts Club Theatre on the You Can’t Fit On Stage Anymore tour in January 2009, Dweezil stated that they’d be back in the fall. Well, here were are nearly 18 months later…and ZPZ have finally made it back to Vancouver (their fourth visit).

Ticket prices (including service charges & taxes) for this show were originally: $102.50 (VIP package - first four rows), $88, $75 & $42.50. But two months ago, since the show wasn’t selling as expected, promoters lowered the prices for most of the remaining tix to $42.50. About one hour before ZPZ hit the stage, I got my friend, who’s a casual fan, a below cost ticket (yeah, he’s paying me back) in the dress circle for $35 from a scalper outside. I of course needed to be up front. So when tickets initially went on sale three months ago, I scored a nearly dead centre fifth row orchestra seat (I wasn’t interested in the VIP package tix).

At 8:20pm, ZPZ hit the stage to rapturous applause. Dweezil then immediately starts to tells us how the band discovered that their tour bus toilet was leaking into the luggage compartment right before the show and how they’re probably going to have to do laundry or buy new clothes before their flight to Richmond, VA the next day. So of course, they appropriately opened the show with Stinkfoot, with relative newcomer Ben Thomas singing lead vocals. The setlist on this night was very early 70s-heavy, with several Flo & Eddie-era tracks, including, Mystery Roach, Daddy, Daddy, Daddy & Latex Solar Beef. As many of you know, I’m not a big fan of this era but I did enjoy these renditions. And I really like Ben’s bluesy and baritone vocals, especially how they suited Advance Romance. And compared to early youtube videos when he initially joined ZPZ over a year ago, he’s now much more animated and comfortable in his role.

Dweezil noticed and was very impressed by a 12 year old kid in the audience who was singing along to just about every song. And he emphasized yet again that this was one of the main reasons why he wanted to kick-start ZPZ in the first place. And he also mentioned that there were only a handful of females in the audience…big surprise. The secret phrase for tonight was “Blue Waffle”. Once this was mentioned, a fan took out his iPhone and googled the secret phrase. And when he found it, held it up so that ALL could see. LOL! Joe Travers saw it first, pointed at him and let out a, “Ahhhhhhhhh Haaaaaaaaaa! LOL!

There were several new setlist additions and surprises. One fan yelled out “Ship Ahoy!”. Dweezil said that he might play it a little later, despite it not being on the original setlist…and he did, with Peter Griffin and Joe Travers accompanying him. Blessed Relief definitely did not disappoint - it’s truly one of the most delicately beautiful compositions anyone will ever hear. Newcomer, 23 year old keyboardist/vocalist, Chris Norton, simply shined. And when the solos emerged in the Vancouver ZPZ debut of Eat That Question, the kid’s chops were so phenomenal, you could’ve swore it was George Duke himself. Also, Dweezil told us that they found out recently that Ben plays trumpet. So once Big Swifty’s compelling intro/melody faded out and the solo sections commenced, he motioned for Scheila and Ben to come to the middle of the stage (which both caught them off guard), where he asked them to simultaneously improvise while he utilized FZ’s hand signals to indicate the increasing/decreasing of pitch when needed. Keep It Greasey was performed and not just the lyrical sections - there were a few minutes of the 21/16 & 19/16 sections - which was amazing to hear and to pull off! And despite the fact that there hasn’t been a wealth of 80s material in the set since ZPZ started in 2005, I’m very appreciative that Pick Me, I‘m Clean & The Blue Light were performed. And at 10:50pm, the show was over. 2 1/2 hours of magic.

The only odd thing about the show (apart from the fatigue of playing six consecutive shows) was that Dweezil only picked up the SG in the encore for the two fan favourites, Peaches En Regalia & Muffin Man. This is something a fan sitting beside me also noticed and mentioned to me. Throughout the rest of the show, he used a Les Paul, two Stratocasters and a Paul Reed Smith-like guitar.

I noticed ZPZ recently played Wild Love in Ventura, CA and Portland, OR. That would’ve been fantastic for us to hear. Oh well, maybe next time? However, it’s great to see them diving deeper into FZ’s catalogue each year.

If I could thrown a few more setlist suggestions in for next year’s show…they would definitely be from the 80s. I’ve LOVE to hear:

Moggio
Sinister Footwear II
Marque-son’s Chicken
Drowning Witch
Envelopes

My friend LOVED the show. And he’s now a bigger fan than he was beforehand, even though he actually saw the first ZPZ show here in 2006 as well.

They weren’t selling much merch. They weren’t even selling the new Greasy Love Songs CD - Wtf? I guess I’ll have to order it online? So all I bought were two shirts. A Baby Snakes shirt and the Learn & Destroy tour 2010 shirt, that is of a softer and more comfortable fabric, with a fantastic pic of Dweezil on the front. Total came to $75.

The Queen Elizabeth Theatre’s capacity is 2,900. I’d say it was 2/3 full, thanks to the reduction in ticket price…

Thanks again for a wonderful evening. We’ll see you next year, ZPZ! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

SETLIST:

1 Stinkfoot - SEGUE
2 Mystery Roach - SEGUE
3 Lonely Little Girl - SEGUE
4 City Of Tiny Lights
5 Daddy Daddy Daddy - SEGUE
6 What Kind Of Girl Do You Think We Are? - SEGUE
7 Blessed Relief - Scheila Flute Solo, Billy Solo - SEGUE
8 Cosmik Debris - Jamie Solo, Pete Solo, DZ Solo
9 The Blue Light
10 Pick Me I'm Clean
11 Ship Ahoy - by request
12 Eat That Question - Chris Solo, Scheila Solo
13 Advance Romance - Jamie Solo, Ben Solo - SEGUE
14 Little House I Used To Live In
15 Latex Solar Beef- Willie - Drum SOLO - SEGUE
16 Apostrophe - Pete Solo
17 Big Swifty - Chris Solo, Billy Solo
18 Keep It Greasey - End Of Show
19 Easy Meat - End Of Show

Encore:

20 Peaches En Regalia - SEGUE
21 Muffin Man

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:37 pm 

Quote:
They weren’t selling much merch. They weren’t even selling the new Greasy Love Songs CD - Wtf?

I thought I saw the G.L.S. CD for sale at the Seattle show - perhaps they sold out?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:39 pm 

Elvina Parsnip wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
They weren’t selling much merch. They weren’t even selling the new Greasy Love Songs CD - Wtf?

I thought I saw the G.L.S. CD for sale at the Seattle show - perhaps they sold out?

Maybe?

But when I asked the merch guy about GLS, he said they never even sent it here!

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:59 pm 

I was there, too. 2nd row just off to the right... I paid full price, but no worries, as ZPZ is usually a sell out show.

I actually prefer when Dweezil brings along some ex-Zappa band members, so this outing was a little less enjoyable. I have to admit I was digging the song selection as much of the 70's and "Tinseltown Rebellion" were well covered. Blue Light sounded very good live.

Post subject: re: view
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:57 pm 

great review db, thanks

Post subject: Re: re: view
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:28 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
great review db, thanks

You're very welcome. :wink: