Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:55 am 

When Frank Zappa was a teenager he was fascinated with the music of Edgard Varèse. He listened to an album with the works of the European composer over and over, even though he didn’t understand the technical aspects. “I didn’t know what timbre was,” he wrote in a 1971 magazine piece titled “The Idol of My Youth.” “I never heard of polyphony. I just liked the music because it sounded good to me. I would force anybody who came over to listen to it.” So come check out this wonderful concert on July 19th that inspired the likes of Frank Zappa!

Part I
Monday, July 19 at 8:00
Alice Tully Hall, Starr Theater
International Contemporary Ensemble (ICE)
So Percussion

“The performance was brilliant, an unabashed, heady assault on listeners.”
—The New York Times on the New York Philharmonic performing Amériques

Discover the fourth dimension of music by experiencing the entire repertoire of Edgard Varèse in two consecutive evenings. Varèse was a unique character in the progressive classical music scene and embodied the technical advancements that characterized the 20th century. He flourished among the urban sounds of New York, experimenting with unusual orchestrations, atonality, new uses of electronics and percussion, complex rhythms and meters, and other elements that came to define his compositional style of “organized sound.”

Performances feature the New York Philharmonic under its new music director Alan Gilbert, the dynamic International Contemporary Ensemble under the skilled direction of Steven Schick, the incredible rhythms of So Percussion, Musica Sacra led by Kent Tritle, Finnish soprano Anu Komsi, who gave a thrilling performance at Lincoln Center Festival 2007, and many more.

http://new.lincolncenter.org/live/index ... 010-varese

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:46 pm 

I saw an ad for this in today's NY Times. It features a quote from Frank. He would have been happy Varese is getting played live, assuming it's a good production, that is.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:24 am 

Hope someone recorded it...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:28 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
I saw an ad for this in today's NY Times. It features a quote from Frank. He would have been happy Varese is getting played live, assuming it's a good production, that is.

It was a very very good production. Especially the first evening, featuring the International Contemporary Ensemble. Varese has never sounded so contemporary... or so violent for that matter. Offrandes, Hyperprism, Integrales, Ecuatorial... ICE changed the way I listen to Varese. All the recordings I have pale in comparison now.

My quick write up/review of the two evenings here: http://stainonsilence.blogspot.com/2010 ... ution.html

Quote:
Hope someone recorded it...

Me too. A joint ICE/NY philharmonic recording of the complete works would be fantastic.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:48 am 

king! Where have you been, man?!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:29 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
king! Where have you been, man?!

Out and about... busy busy busy and all of that. Splitting my time between Oberlin, Ohio and New Jersey... writing a lot of music and reading too much (grasping too little, it seems). I came across your rendition of Sleep Dirt not too long ago while wading through the unruly mess that is my music library.

and yourself?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:53 am 

Thanks for the update man! Don't be a stranger...

I couldn't been greater, also splitting my time in between different cities, also very busy, but managed to put together a rig with my dad's old turntable and been into a vinyl hunt frenzy since then, and coincidentally enough, listening to the Sleep Dirt LP right now, as I read your message ( :shock: ).

Man, have you ever read Humberto Maturana?

Cheers...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:45 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Man, have you ever read Humberto Maturana?

Cheers...

I have not. A quick google search makes me think I should, however. What would you recommend?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:30 am 

Atually I asked you because I know you are into literature, but I haven't read any of his works yet, although I know some of the most well informed people I know are fans of his books... I am looking for some translations on him, I was about to ask you the same thing... Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:29 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Atually I asked you because I know you are into literature, but I haven't read any of his works yet, although I know some of the most well informed people I know are fans of his books... I am looking for some translations on him, I was about to ask you the same thing... Cheers!

Heh, alright. Well let me know if you find anything.