Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:21 am 

I'm going to see him Friday and was just wondering if he ever busts into Remus or anything...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:29 am 

Intresting i did a youtube search
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3ZAmu-n ... 1&index=46

Sounds Nice Too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:54 am 

Back in the day, he used to...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:26 pm 

Sweet - the youtube is recent so that's promising. Thanks! I'll report if there's anything to report.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:51 am 

cleon wrote:

This is from a small club in my small hometown. But I didn't bother to attend this show just for the probability to hear a few FZ snippets, no matter that it is the great GD. I simply can't stand the rest of what GD is doing these days.

I like what the guitar player does during Uncle Remus here, though.

Th.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:37 am 

Thinman wrote:
cleon wrote:

This is from a small club in my small hometown. But I didn't bother to attend this show just for the probability to hear a few FZ snippets, no matter that it is the great GD. I simply can't stand the rest of what GD is doing these days.

I like what the guitar player does during Uncle Remus here, though.

Th.

I like it mostly because cant remember hearing ZF band playing Uncle remus live,band only played it twice according too giglists,and a further 4 times last tour 88.
The guitar playing was Top on GD video.

Of topic
The last time Ray white was posted on this forum play City of tiny lights he was with ZPZ shortly after.
Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:03 pm 

I've seen GD a couple of times- the first time was about 6 or 7 years ago and he did a nice chunk of 'Remus'. The last time a couple of years ago he ended one of his tunes with the last bit of 'Echidna'.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:49 pm 

hodgy wrote:
I've seen GD a couple of times- the first time was about 6 or 7 years ago and he did a nice chunk of 'Remus'. The last time a couple of years ago he ended one of his tunes with the last bit of 'Echidna'.

I haven't seen him on the west coast for quite a few years,but I here GD's been working in Europe with and without other MOI-Mothers,Zappendale and some orchestra stuff with NMB.Yes,he did do some FZ snippets last time I saw him.I would really like to see-hear him again soon.
When is Adrian Belew & the Slicks coming`round here again?That really would be something if Adrian Belew played with Dweezil.He complimented FZ so nice on guitar.Ahh,why doe's that have to be a pipe dream? Lift the ban. :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:35 am 

Adrian did sit in with ZPZ doing the Dylan voice on "Flakes" a year or two ago. I don't know if he'd want to join on guitar, probably trying to focus on his own stuff. He mentioned on his blog that Eric Slick is touring with another band (Dr. Dog).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:48 am 

George did not mix any FZ into the show I saw. He only had a 50 minute set co-headlining with David Sanborn at the Ohio State Fair. It was entertaining, however. The beginning of the set was jazzier material, then sort of drifted into soul/R&B stuff, then finished up in a funk frenzy. He really worked the crowd. I don't think his keyboard playing was highlighted much though. Sanborn's keyboard player actually stole the show from that perspective - I should probably take a second to google his name, but that guy was incredible.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:31 pm 

I friggin told yer all right :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:44 pm 

Yes.There are two shows for sure coming up in LA. Dweezil announced that GD will be joining DZpZ for two shows. 12/3/10 & 12/4/10. 8) :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:56 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Yes.There are two shows for sure coming up in LA. Dweezil announced that GD will be joining DZpZ for two shows. 12/3/10 & 12/4/10. 8) :D

You goin'?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:44 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

You goin'?

I would of gone fer sure had this come out earlier...I have tix for SF 12/1/10 and Reno 12/2/10.Very tempting though.
You goin' to any of the shows? GD's schedule looks free for awhile after that. So who knows,maybe he'll join DZpZ for the rest of the tour. :roll: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:34 pm 

Nope, not going to any of the shows, living in BFE in correlation to any dates.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:15 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Nope, not going to any of the shows, living in BFE in correlation to any dates.

El Bummo cal. Live Zappa wise.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:26 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Probably the best two ZPZ shows that ever happened. I met George after the show. Definitley my #1 live Zappa experience.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:42 pm 

In the 70s, I saw the George Duke/Billy Cobham band in New Orleans. They played a version of Echidna's Arf, which was fast, and dominated mostly by Duke's keyboards.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:41 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
In the 70s, I saw the George Duke/Billy Cobham band in New Orleans. They played a version of Echidna's Arf, which was fast, and dominated mostly by Duke's keyboards.

Man, that was a badass band!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:30 pm 

That must've been the closing section of Echidna's Arf, as performed by the Bongo Fury lineup and as recorded on "The Aura Will Prevail".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:33 pm 

tiboudre wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:

Man, that was a badass band!

Actually, I thought they were pretty ragged considering their incredible musical abilities. Scofield made a lot of mistakes. Anyone can have a bad night....

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...