Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:34 am 

I haven't seen ZPZ in concert yet and I've only listened to the 3 live CDs that accompany the ZPZ 5 disc set but from what I could gather from just that, it doesn't sound like Dweezil does all that much actual singing. Is this accurate?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:16 am 

When I saw them, I'm pretty sure the only song he sang was "I'm the Slime."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:29 am 

That is accurate. He does sing some parts though on songs that require different vocalists or characters.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:47 am 

During Amsterdam earlier this year he sang I'm The Slime. He'll occasionally sing some lines though: in Tilburg '07 he did a few in Brown Shoes Don't Make It. He sounds like daddy on that song, which is cute. And it was totally epic when the Magic Fingers closing monologue was shared in the band and Dweezil said "and I did a wee wee in your hair..."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:31 pm 

Probably the most singing he's done is on Billy.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:34 pm 

He doesn't have to sing. I sure wish he would get Ahmet in the band but if they've have some kind of falling out it's none of my business. He never answers when I ask about Ahmet so...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:43 pm 

Huck_Phlem wrote:
He doesn't have to sing. I sure wish he would get Ahmet in the band but if they've have some kind of falling out it's none of my business. He never answers when I ask about Ahmet so...

My impression is that Ahmet just doesn't want to do it. He's got that kid's book that Spielberg's group is developing into a movie plus I think he has a gig working for some comic book company. He has all the money he needs plus he can kinda seek his own identity away from music. I could be totally wrong of course. He was always the comedy quotient while Dweezil was the musical quotient, the two sons representing the two sides of Frank's personality.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:12 pm 

KillUgly wrote:
Huck_Phlem wrote:

My impression is that Ahmet just doesn't want to do it. He's got that kid's book that Spielberg's group is developing into a movie plus I think he has a gig working for some comic book company. He has all the money he needs plus he can kinda seek his own identity away from music. I could be totally wrong of course. He was always the comedy quotient while Dweezil was the musical quotient, the two sons representing the two sides of Frank's personality.

But he seemed ready to do it right at the start of ZPZ, didn't he? Either way it's great that he has his own thing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:18 pm 

I've got no doubt that Trendmonger thinks he's better than Enrico Caruso.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:26 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
KillUgly wrote:
Huck_Phlem wrote:

But he seemed ready to do it right at the start of ZPZ, didn't he? Either way it's great that he has his own thing.

Right. He was gonna do it at the start but obviously something happened. That was then, this is now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:58 pm 

KillUgly wrote:
Right. He was gonna do it at the start but obviously something happened. That was then, this is now.

No, this is then! Now is that! Don't try to fool me.

(When Ahmet was going to sing with ZPZ, guess who compared him to Elvis and he had the shining luminence of 10,000 lights?)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:52 am 

Dweezil addresses the Ahmet question somewhere in this interview. Sounds reasonable enough to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HSFuV0G2OM

There's 3 parts - you might have to watch all of them - I don't remember which one it's in.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:55 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
KillUgly wrote:

No, this is then! Now is that! Don't try to fool me.

(When Ahmet was going to sing with ZPZ, guess who compared him to Elvis and he had the shining luminence of 10,000 lights?)

It was the Trendy one, right? Who could forget that. Didn't he also compare him to Robert Plant and maybe a couple other folks?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:16 pm 

GreenHocher wrote:
Dweezil addresses the Ahmet question somewhere in this interview. Sounds reasonable enough to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HSFuV0G2OM

There's 3 parts - you might have to watch all of them - I don't remember which one it's in.

Thanks, these were great.