The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:16 am 

Footage found

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rkoatnn9kM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:40 am 

youiswhatyouam wrote:

I didn't listen to the sound, but I'm pretty sure that the footage is from Barcelona 1988, Frank going into the Illinois Enema Bandit guitar solo. It's that intense gaze at the beginning that gives it away.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:41 am 

is that Woodstock, Georgia?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:00 am 

Zappa and the MOI at Monterey!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_i_HVBD9ks

(Same authenticity as above)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:30 am 

Those are all really good but nothing beats Frank's solo on the Beatle's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". I guess Frank was good friends with George Harrison but then afterwards he fell in love with his wife. That's how he met Gail.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:45 am 

KillUgly wrote:
Those are all really good but nothing beats Frank's solo on the Beatle's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". I guess Frank was good friends with George Harrison but then afterwards he fell in love with his wife. That's how he met Gail.

Hence the song "Gail-a." "Gail-a, you got me on my knees...." He only performed it once, at Live Aid.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:50 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
KillUgly wrote:

Hence the song "Gail-a." "Gail-a, you got me on my knees...." He only performed it once, at Live Aid.

Yeah, and remember when he had Bono come out on stage with him and Frank introduced him as "Mr. Bono"? That still cracks me up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:40 am 

"Hence the song "Gail-a." "Gail-a, you got me on my knees...." He only performed it once, at Live Aid.

Yeah, and remember when he had Bono come out on stage with him and Frank introduced him as "Mr. Bono"? That still cracks me up."

Was that before or after he joined Queen onstage for a ten minute guitar solo during Radio Ga Ga?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:40 am 

Hey! I was at Woodstock, and no way did Frank perform. But he was there, and I did buy some dope from him. Good stuff. I think he called it "brown acid."

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:28 pm 

Not that anyone should care, but...Zappa and the Mothers were performing in Ottawa and Montreal during the Woodstock festival.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:00 pm 

I wonder why Mr Zappa and Friends were not asked to play at Woodstock. I am sure they were more relevant than ,say, Sha Na Na....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:10 pm 

tjfar67 wrote:
I wonder why Mr Zappa and Friends were not asked to play at Woodstock. I am sure they were more relevant than ,say, Sha Na Na....

"Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention, according to the Class of the 20th Century U.S. television special, is quoted as saying "A lot of mud at Woodstock…We were invited to play there, we turned it down.'"

http://www.woodstockstory.com/passingpe ... bands.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:12 pm 

That's what I believe to be correct. FZ was approached to play at Woodstock but he turned it down.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:21 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Hey! I was at Woodstock, and no way did Frank perform. But he was there, and I did buy some dope from him. Good stuff. I think he called it "brown acid."

That would be highly unlikely!

Extremelly unlikely!

Of course, people at Woodstock were so ripped they didn't know who was there anyway ... they only know by the movie!

I would expect that the people that put together Woodstock, offered him 5 beers, $10 dollars and a fuck you, after the first day ... to perform there ... and ... yeah ... I would have said no as well! But sadly ... that was one huge moment in the history of music ... probably made more so by a magnificent film, and it would have been nice to have someone like Frank in there ... however, I am not sure that the producers could appreciate Frank's material at the time ... all they were seeing was money signs anyway ...

There are many iconic moments, but I can think of one moment that I know Frank would have probably done something about it ... after seeing Jimi play the national anthem to an empty audience, and ... garbage. Even Frank would have appreciated the irony and the cynicism that the visual given us by the the movie ... one of the saddest images I have ever seen ... the music don't mean shit anyway! The gettin glaid and getting stoned and "being there" was more important!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:28 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Moshkito wrote:

Extremelly unlikely!
ronny's noomies meant that to be a joke...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:27 am 

just plain doug wrote:
tjfar67 wrote:

"Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention, according to the Class of the 20th Century U.S. television special, is quoted as saying "A lot of mud at Woodstock…We were invited to play there, we turned it down.'"

http://www.woodstockstory.com/passingpe ... bands.html

Bingo!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:16 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Moshkito wrote:

Extremelly unlikely!

I swear to god I was there. I might be wrong about the brown acid tho; it was probably windowpane. I traded Frank some weed for it. He was looking to get ripped before Canned Heat came on. :wink:

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:48 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Moshkito wrote:

Extremelly unlikely!

I swear to god I was there. I might be wrong about the brown acid tho; it was probably windowpane. I traded Frank some weed for it. He was looking to get ripped before Canned Heat came on. :wink:

I don't remember seeing you. I'm the guy that yelled at Sweetwater between breaks. "Your flute player is horrid! Tell him to maybe hit an in tune note!"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:29 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:47 pm 

Of course Zappa was at Woodstock. Doesn't anyone remember when he got up to make a speech during the Who's set and Pete Townshend kicked his ass off the stage? :?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:12 pm 

Yeah, I remember that. I think that was just before Richie Havens sweated all over the sound system and shorted everything out. Me and Frank had a good laugh at that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:09 am 

Most rock groups had misgivings about the concert even happening, in fact it almost did not, if it were not for max. As for Joni Mitchel, she could not make it due to being booked on cavett, period. Surprisingly CS&N showed up on the cavett show unannounced while he interviewed her. They could afford a helicopter to take them into NYC for the interview the day after they played.
Not everybody was ripped at the concert, unlike the repeat years later which sucked and was violent.