Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ed Mann Town
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:29 am 

I couldn't find a mention of this on the forum but Ed Mann is playing FZ music with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra on March 15. Ike will be there also!

http://www.edmontonsymphony.com/symphon ... ays-zappa/

Post subject: Re: Ed Mann Town
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:34 pm 

It's kind of interesting that Ike is involved as it appears to be a ZFT approved event and Ike is not a ZFT approved musician (the last time I checked anyway). I guess it doesn't matter though if the ESO is doing everything right legally. Paying performance fees, etc. Sounds sweet!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:40 pm 

I was curious too. The concert isn't listed on the FZ site, and I couldn't find any evidence on the symphony site that Gail had granted approval for Ike and Ed. If the symphony did everything right, and they hired certain side men, would Gail bother?

In any case, wish I could be there.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:10 am 

Well, I'm driving up there from Calgary on Tuesday to check it out; I'm pretty pumped for this.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:20 pm 

The page from this link.....

.....has all of the ZFT trademarks logos so it would appear to be official to me...and with Ike Willis & Ed Mann.. :shock: Wish I could go too.

If Ike Willis is back in the fold with the Zappa's, that is awesome news. Ike would be the ultimate addition to the lead vocalist spot with ZPZ.

The list of alumni to tour or guest with ZPZ up to this point includes Napoleon Murphy Brock, Terry Bozzio, Steve Vai, Ray White, George Duke, Scott Thunes, Jeff Simmons and soon to be Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan. That doesn't include Moon Unit who also guested, though wasn't an official touring member.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:05 am 

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
I couldn't find a mention of this on the forum but Ed Mann is playing FZ music with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra on March 15. Ike will be there also!

Well, I'm driving up there from Calgary on Tuesday to check it out; I'm pretty pumped for this.

I really wish I could see this show! But since I'm not going to be there, I'm definitely looking forward to your review (I'm sure we all are)... :)

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:34 am 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
The list of alumni to tour or guest with ZPZ up to this point includes Napoleon Murphy Brock, Terry Bozzio, Steve Vai, Ray White, George Duke, Scott Thunes, Jeff Simmons...

...and Adrian Belew.

"Remarkable in detail and interview, an unexpected and invaluable look at a such an important and ill-fated moment in Frank's career."

www.idiotbastard.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:32 pm 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
The list of alumni to tour or guest with ZPZ up to this point includes Napoleon Murphy Brock, Terry Bozzio, Steve Vai, Ray White, George Duke, Scott Thunes, Jeff Simmons...

...and Adrian Belew.

I wasn't aware that Adrian ever played with ZPZ. When did that happen?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:37 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
The page from this link.....

.....has all of the ZFT trademarks logos so it would appear to be official to me...and with Ike Willis & Ed Mann.. :shock: Wish I could go too.

If Ike Willis is back in the fold with the Zappa's, that is awesome news. Ike would be the ultimate addition to the lead vocalist spot with ZPZ.

The list of alumni to tour or guest with ZPZ up to this point includes Napoleon Murphy Brock, Terry Bozzio, Steve Vai, Ray White, George Duke, Scott Thunes, Jeff Simmons and soon to be Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan. That doesn't include Moon Unit who also guested, though wasn't an official touring member.

I agree about Ike. I'm sorry but in a world where NMB, Ray White, and Ike Willis still exist, Ben Thomas doesn't really cut it with me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:55 am 

KillUgly wrote:

6 July 2008, Quebec International Summer Festival. Adrian made a cameo (as Bob Dylan) during Flakes.

"Remarkable in detail and interview, an unexpected and invaluable look at a such an important and ill-fated moment in Frank's career."

www.idiotbastard.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:58 am 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
KillUgly wrote:

6 July 2008, Quebec International Summer Festival. Adrian made a cameo (as Bob Dylan) during Flakes.

Cool. Thanks. I'd like to see Adrian do a whole tour with them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:17 pm 

Just got back from Edmonton from an awesome show!

The setlist:

The Central Scrutinizer
Peaches En Regalia
I'm the Slime
Cosmik Debris
G-Spot Tornado
Naval Aviation in Art
Chester's Gorilla intro
Florentine Pogen
Andy
Bolero
-intermission-
Dog Meat
Don't Eat the Yellow Snow
Nanook Rubs It
Orange County Lumber Truck medley
(Let's Make the Water Turn Black; Harry You're a Beast; Oh No; Orange County Lumber Truck; Lumpy Gravy intro)
Classical Music rap by FZ impersonator
The Dessicated Number
Läther (or I Promise Not to Come in Your Mouth)
Inca Roads
Watermelon in Easter Hay
Sofa

Ed Mann was the clear star of the show and was the driving force behind the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra who played the compositions with the appropriate eyebrows. They especially nailed G-Spot Tornado.

During Florentine Pogen and Inca Roads, Ed took a percussion solo where FZ would have usually played a guitar solo. Ed's lady friend Sara Pocklington was also one of the two female background singers.

Any concerns about the demise of Ike Willis have been greatly exaggerated, he was in fine form. His guitar playing was superb and his treatment of Watermelon in Easter Hay brought tears to my eyes.

The venue was the very classy Winspear Centre and the 1700 seat house appeared to be full to capacity.

We had a chance to speak to Ed after the show and he claimed that the ESO was the best symphony he has ever performed with. It was mentioned to him that he should do a similar show with the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra and he seemed to be pretty open to that idea.

This was certainly one of the most powerful performances of Zappa music that I have ever witnessed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:34 pm 

Sounds great. Wish I could have been there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:48 pm 

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
Just got back from Edmonton from an awesome show!

The setlist:

The Central Scrutinizer
Peaches En Regalia
I'm the Slime
Cosmik Debris
G-Spot Tornado
Naval Aviation in Art
Chester's Gorilla intro
Florentine Pogen
Andy
Bolero
-intermission-
Dog Meat
Don't Eat the Yellow Snow
Nanook Rubs It
Orange County Lumber Truck medley
(Let's Make the Water Turn Black; Harry You're a Beast; Oh No; Orange County Lumber Truck; Lumpy Gravy intro)
Classical Music rap by FZ impersonator
The Dessicated Number
Läther (or I Promise Not to Come in Your Mouth)
Inca Roads
Watermelon in Easter Hay
Sofa

Ed Mann was the clear star of the show and was the driving force behind the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra who played the compositions with the appropriate eyebrows. They especially nailed G-Spot Tornado.

During Florentine Pogen and Inca Roads, Ed took a percussion solo where FZ would have usually played a guitar solo. Ed's lady friend Sara Pocklington was also one of the two female background singers.

Any concerns about the demise of Ike Willis have been greatly exaggerated, he was in fine form. His guitar playing was superb and his treatment of Watermelon in Easter Hay brought tears to my eyes.

The venue was the very classy Winspear Centre and the 1700 seat house appeared to be full to capacity.

We had a chance to speak to Ed after the show and he claimed that the ESO was the best symphony he has ever performed with. It was mentioned to him that he should do a similar show with the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra and he seemed to be pretty open to that idea.

This was certainly one of the most powerful performances of Zappa music that I have ever witnessed.

Sweet! :twisted:

Here's a review from See Magazine...

http://www.seemagazine.com/edmonton-blo ... zappa-270/

LIVE MUSIC REVIEW — The ESO Does Zappa
Posted by Nathan Usher in SEEN & HEARD

Does Humour Belong at the Symphony?

The ESO plays Zappa

Tuesday night was a good one for fans of Frank Zappa as the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra joined Ed Mann and Ike Willis in a tribute to the late composer and musician in a surprisingly full Winspear Centre. For fans (like me) the show not only delivered on inappropriately high expectations, but exceeded them.

For the musicians playing, I’m sure it was just as memorable. Almost every member of the Orchestra was dressed in some kind of kooky or eccentric costume — everything from lime green leggings to Viking helmets. It looked more like Halloween than a serious performance but once the music started there was no doubt as to the legitimacy of Zappa’s work.

Procol Harum may have made the record of note with the ESO but this was certainly a whole different animal. The opening song “Peaches En Regalia” immediately revealed how pedestrian “Conquistador” really is when compared to a serious piece of music. You can have all the sweeping strings and kettle drums you want; you still need something with some balls to showcase the intensely high level of musicianship that the ESO boasts.

The songs they chose to play over the two-hour show unquestionably did show off the talent of ESO. Songs that spanned from early “Mothers of Invention” to the terrifying “Jazz from Hell” and highlights from everything in between. The songs they played held true to the originals while offering truly new and interesting arrangements. Deep cuts from “Joe’s Garage” and some of the best from “Apostrophe/Overnight Sensation” sounded like they were built for a crack symphony because...well, they were.

ESO music director Bill Evans played the part of the “central scrutinizer” conducting the band and offering some narration through a bullhorn, spending most of the show in an oversized purple-feathered hat. He and guest guitarist/vocalist Ike Willis seemed to have great chemistry and they spent the whole show laughing with each other. In fact, my only complaint with the performance was that it felt to go too far in trying to show the audience how funny the music inherently is. Frank Zappa believed more than anyone in a sense of humour when it came to music but he built it in to the songs. Just the arrangements themselves are hilarious as you watch a poor xylophone player try to wrangle four mallets to play a melody line about deadly yellow snow. You don’t need to put the Marx Brothers in clown makeup to understand that they are funny and in a way I felt like the ESO was beating me over the head with an inflatable mallet. Distracting shenanigans aside, the music was all there.

Unlike literally everything you will hear on the radio for the foreseeable future, Zappa was-a-once-in-a-hundred-year talent as a composer and wrote music that was structurally capable of supporting and pushing classically trained musicians. This isn’t throwing some violin over a pop song to pull at your heartstrings or self-indulgent improvisational jazz; this is dynamic and challenging modern classical music built for symphonic arrangement. It is also very weird and an admittedly acquired taste, like cilantro. Those who like it like it a lot, the people that don’t may never understand how fresh and delicious that green flavour-leaf is.

Case and point was the couple sitting a few rows away from me. The gorgeous blonde was having the time of her life; dancing in her seat, singing along and screaming praise at the end of every weird song. The appropriately handsome boyfriend on the other hand looked like he was watching a foreign film with no subtitles. I felt bad for the both of them; he looked like what I think I would look like if I had to sit through two hours of a Katy Perry concert or any Nicolas Cage movie ever again and she looked like a tired mom trying to force culture down the throat of a disinterested 14 year old. His jacket was on before the end of the second act and they skipped the encore. More cilantro for those who want it I suppose.

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:11 am 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
KillUgly wrote:

The place of the incident where Adrian's guitar tech (whose name shall not be mentioned) was asked by DZ to stay away from the scene. Poor communication led to the guitar tech being around Adrian after all (who probably didn't take DZ's email that serious - a private correspondence DZ btw chose to make public). Allegedly the guitar tech was physically abused by a ZPZ roadie. So, Adrian is not an obvious candidate for regular touring with ZPZ. Not if he brings his guitar tech!! :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:17 pm 

It was indeed striking how different Dweezil's and Andre Cholmondelay's recounting of these events were. Like Rashamon or something. It all sounded pretty petty to me. :)

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:45 am 

Wow, these comments sure has a lot to do with the fantastic show recently in Edmonton. I guess it's more interesting to rehash some gossip that was talked to death on this forum over two years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:25 am 

Sorry. I'll try to color inside the lines next time. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:31 am 

Oh good lord, did I hurt someone's tiny feelings? Might be time to put away the crayons for good. Seriously there is an EIGHT PAGE post already on this forum regarding the fascinating and childish epic saga of Andre, Adrian and Dweezil.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:23 am 

I did like your set list and concert review. This kind of thing is my favorite side of Frank.

But really, it's pretty hard to police threads around here, especially if you've got control issues. I do believe you derailed your own thread.....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:54 am 

Yeah, I'm the one that derailed this thread...

The fact that 'The Dessicated Number' was performed in Edmonton this week generated not one comment.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:35 pm 

Actually, I was wondering about that. Is it a previously unheard composition? Can you shed any light on that?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:22 pm 

Parts of The Dessicated Number (along with parts of other compositions including A Pound for a Brown) were edited together for When Yuppies Go to Hell on Make a Jazz Noise Here. The composition consists of vocal samples triggered by Ed Mann (in 1988 he used the Synclavier, not sure what he used in Edmonton) along with random orchestral music, conducted by FZ in 1988 and by William Eddins in Edmonton. To the best of my knowledge it was only performed twice - on April 16, 1988 at Wembley and on April 24, 1988 in Bremen.

I am certainly not the last word as an expert on this piece, if anyone else has anything to add, I'd appreciate it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:00 pm 

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
Oh good lord, did I hurt someone's tiny feelings? Might be time to put away the crayons for good. Seriously there is an EIGHT PAGE post already on this forum regarding the fascinating and childish epic saga of Andre, Adrian and Dweezil.

Where can I find that post?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:01 pm 

Not wanting to harp about the side track about Adrian, but when it was first brought up it genuinely piqued KillUgly's curiosity:
KillUgly wrote:
I'd like to see Adrian do a whole tour with them.

I think HJ's reply was just a fair point to indicate that it would be unlikely that Adrian would be asked to do a full tour with ZPZ. After that, maybe it got dragged out a bit too much.