Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:37 pm 

My girlfriend, Terri and I went to my third ZPZ concert, her first. The show started right on time at 7:30. They didn't mess around between songs, the performance was outstanding.

Then at 8:43, the show was over. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME??????? Dweezil introduced the band, said goodnight. I told Terri they'd be back out to do a finale. She said, "I don't think so, they're winding up cords". They were breaking down the stage within seconds of the last song.

Jeeze, Dweezil. If you had somewhere else to be, why not reschedule the concert!

I told her this is the last time I will ever see Dweezil. There is no way I will EVER buy a ticket to see him if he's only going to play for SEVENTY THREE MINUTES!!!!!!

I PAID MORE THAN A DOLLAR A MINUTE FOR EACH TICKET!!!!! And they weren't premium seats or anything.

If they're coming to your town, don't bother. You'll be happy for an hour or so and then really pissed the rest of the night.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:50 pm 

Uh, did you notice that Dweezil was the warm up act to Return To Forever? In Chicago, the gig before Indianapolis, RTF played for 2 hours after the Dweeze was done.......

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:13 pm 

Dweezil said on his site that they were allowed 70 minutes on this tour so you made out like a bandit getting those extra three minutes. Too bad you wasted the rest of the night being pissed off. Return To Forever is a legendary band.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:16 am 

The RTF show is the best 'rock' show I've been in years!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:04 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
The RTF show is the best 'rock' show I've been in years!!!

Absolutely. These guys rock. As a band - separate from the compositions themselves - RTF totally schools Dweezil's band. And ZPZ is fuckin' good!

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:28 am 

70 minutes of the master's music is better than nothing. Perhaps that is the maximum amount of time today's youth can comprehend.

All the shows on this tour are the same. They spoiled us on previous tours.

Maybe they are using the extra time to work on new releases from the vault or maybe even the Roxy video.

This is the only place where you can get Frank's music live. My advice is to enjoy it while you can.

I always thought that Frank's legacy would be strong 100 - 200 years from now. Now I wonder whether his music will be remembered at all.

Would you rather have 70 minutes of top notch music or 2 - 3 hours of the stuff they play on AMT or the bi-monthly country music awards?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:09 am 

Bobby wrote:
70 minutes of the master's music is better than nothing. Perhaps that is the maximum amount of time today's youth can comprehend.

All the shows on this tour are the same. They spoiled us on previous tours.

Maybe they are using the extra time to work on new releases from the vault or maybe even the Roxy video.

This is the only place where you can get Frank's music live. My advice is to enjoy it while you can.

I always thought that Frank's legacy would be strong 100 - 200 years from now. Now I wonder whether his music will be remembered at all.

Would you rather have 70 minutes of top notch music or 2 - 3 hours of the stuff they play on AMT or the bi-monthly country music awards?

C'mon - NO ONE can answer that! They call women's behinds ba-donk-a-donks! Hilarious!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:38 am 

The night before, at the Venue, they played for about one hour. So you got a bonus song. Dweezil signed auto graphs front of the stage for as long as he was allowed to, while RTF set up. RTF was all sorts of awesome. It got me thinking, I wish the ZPZ set was all instrumental and no vocal. I don't need to hear Yellow Snow of Cheepnis if you only got an hour or so.
I'd like to see the band perform and arrange some new instrumental material or incorporate some Gryphon Labs into the show. I know it wouldn't be ZPZ, but Frank would be proud of the ensemble his son put together.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:35 pm 

Yes, the show at the Venue was only 1 hour long, but at least we got to hear and see Jean-Luc Ponty play on 50-50 with the band. And it was nice of Dweezil staying on stage signing autographs. He did sign my Hammersmith CD that I bought at the show. I did not mind Cheepnis and Yellow Snow, but I could have done without Dancing Fool.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:19 pm 

Gee! Is Ponty playing 50/50 onstage? My goodness!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:14 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Gee! Is Ponty playing 50/50 onstage? My goodness!!!

Well, so far, he's only played with them twice and only on the above track. Once at the second Beacon Theater show in NYC and also at the Hammond, IN show the other night. Hopefully, he'll get up and play with 'em a few more times before this tour ends next month...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:49 pm 

Could you imagine if they worked up Music For Violin and Low Budget Orchestra? Good god, just the thought of it is exhilarating.....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:47 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Could you imagine if they worked up Music For Violin and Low Budget Orchestra? Good god, just the thought of it is exhilarating.....

OOh I'd love to hear that live!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:57 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:

Fucking hell yeah! Or even RDNZL. The possibilities are endless! :twisted:

Regardless, since you're one of the few who got to see JLP playing with DZPZ live, you're one lucky little sumbitch! :shock:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:48 am 

Yes I am, no doubt. I also got to hear JLP with RTF, which was pretty great itself too. I've always liked JLP's playing on other people's tunes rather than his own, and that concert was no exception.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:00 pm 

Is someone really complaining about a 70 minute OPENING set? You've got to be kidding me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:28 pm 

I can't say for sure, but ZPZ seems to be dumbing down the material for the general populace.

Last time I saw him we didn't get What's New in Baltimore or Echidna's Arf or any of the intricate instrumental stuff like that. Instead it was Dinah-Moe Hum and Muffin Man -- perfectly okay songs, but not astounding musically.