Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:54 am 

2 & ½ years later and ZPZ finally make it up the road to Vancouver, BC (the 5th time in 6 years). This was a GA show, so I made my way up front to what would‘ve been the 3rd row in front of Ben Thomas. Entering the stage, ZPZ and Dweezil greeted the crowd, mentioned that it had been awhile since they’ve played here and then immediately launched the band into Zomby Woof, to thunderous applause. Scheila Gonzalez sang lead vocals duties on Dirty Love and ripped it! She truly gave this track new life. And when she did, it immediately reminded me of Bianca’s ‘76 rendition. Next up, came a mini-Roxy & Elsewhere set that included Echidna’s Arf (Of You), Penguin In Bondage & Pygmy Twylyte, where once again Sheila was the highlight and performed a stunning and lengthy alto sax solo that had you dying for more! Then came a Sheik Yerbouti mini-set, performing I’m So Cute, complete with Chris Norton singing lead and urging everyone in the house to…"…go get some cyanide and dieeeeeeeee…die die die die!”, Baby Snakes & Tryin’ To Grow A Chin. I didn’t know Dweezil could jump up and down and play guitar simultaneously but he did! Wind Up Workin’ In A Gas Station had Ben Thomas and the band demanding everyone, “…show me their thumb if you‘re really dumb!” And many did just that. Ride My Face To Chicago was the sing-a-long of sing-along tunes for casual Zappa fans who weren’t familiar with the track. But THE highlight of the night for me was my all time favourite FZ song. A tune that ZPZ had only started playing earlier this week and debuted in Salt Lake City. FINALLY, it was time for ZPZ to include Moggio in the setlist. Beforehand, Dweezil explained the backstory, the complexity of the piece and why it was called Moggio. And despite only lasting a short 2 1/2 minutes, it simple made my night! I don’t think there were any mistakes and thankfully the sound mix at this venue was good enough to discern every detail. ZPZ’s roadie might as well have been Captain Beefheart himself when invited on stage to sing Debra Kabadra, it was that good! Dweezil’s guitar tone almost exactly matched the distorted guitar tone FZ utilized on the Freak Out! classic, Who Are The Brain Police? And we apparently have the revolutionary guitar-effects rig, Fractal Axe-Fx to thank for that! Actually, during the intro, I didn’t immediately recognize the song since there was so much bass included in this part of it. Packard Goose ended the set with probably Dweezil’s most interesting solo and with Scheila singing/playing the part of Mary. The encore included the standards, Cosmik Debris, which included lengthy solos from just about every ZPZ band member and then the volume swelled uproariously for an extremely powerful version of Muffin Man. The show ended with the very nicely-arranged 200 Motels classic, Strictly Genteel, complete with Ben's trumpet (good to see he's now using a trombone in some songs too!) and Scheila's alto sax complimentary accompaniment…after which Dweezil told us that they’d see us again soon.

Apart from the extreme diligence of ZPZ as a whole, the band member of night was clearly Scheila Gonzalez. Dweezil recently explained why he had to downside the band. Considering this, if in the future there are even fewer ZPZ members, she’d better not be let go because it would be a damn shame!

This was the first year I didn’t buy any ZPZ merch. This was partly because the merch booth mainly had over-priced t-shirts & hoodies and surprisingly only had one of the new releases, which was Understanding America - a comp I’m not really interested in. So it looks as though I’m going to have to buy Road Tapes, Venue #1 & Finer Moments online shortly.

Almost every time they’ve played here, ZPZ have played a different venue. This year they played the best club in town, the Commodore Ballroom. It holds about 1,000 people and was a virtual sell-out. Oddly enough, since there was a rap concert scheduled for 11 pm, ZPZ hit the stage just after 7:30 pm. But it was good to see more younger fans in attendance this time out. I consider myself fortunate to have been within the first 6 rows for each 5 Vancouver ZPZ visits and cannot wait until they return!

SETLIST:

December 22
Vancouver, BC
Commodore Ballroom

7:35 pm

1 Zomby Woof
2 Hungry Freaks, Daddy!
3 Teenage Prostitute
4 Dirty Love
5 Echidna's Arf
6 Penguin In Bondage - SEGUE
7 Pygmy Twylyte - SCHEILA solo - SEGUE
8 I'm So Cute - SEGUE
9 Baby Snakes - SEGUE
10 Tryin' To Grow A Chin
11 Peaches En Regalia - SEGUE
12 Oh No -SEGUE
13 Let's Make The Water Turn Black
15 Harder Than Your Husband - SEGUE
16 Wind Up Workin' In A Gas Station - SEGUE
17 Ride My Face To Chicago
18 Moggio
19 Debra Kadabra - SEGUE
20 Who Are The Brain Police?
21 Outside Now
22 Sofa
23 Packard Goose

Encore

24 Cosmik Debris
25 Muffin Man
26 Strictly Genteel

9:55pm

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:23 pm 

Sounds most excellent DB.Good review too,thanks.Glad you had fun.The Commadore Ballroom sounds familiar.What part of Van is it in?

btw:Have you ever been to The Neptune in Seattle and do you happen to know if it's GA admission?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:54 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Sounds most excellent DB.Good review too,thanks.Glad you had fun.

Thanks, my friend. It was fantastic!

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
The Commadore Ballroom sounds familiar.What part of Van is it in?

It's located Downtown near the corner of Smithe & Granville and just celebrated its 83rd B-day this month (it closed for a few years and then went through a renovation in the '90s)! I'm kind of surprised you haven't heard of it since you know the city fairly well. Here's a pic from near the stage looking out over the dance floor...

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
you ever been to The Neptune in Seattle and do you happen to know if it's GA admission?

Unfortunately, no. I know almost nothing about the venue...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:52 pm 

Ah yeah,I remember it,but thought that the Ritz's ballroom were one in the same when I lived there.Ya,know like The Ritz is proud to feature Frank Sinatra with the MOI Orchestra in the Commador Ballroom.Now I remember they are in seperate buildings not all that far from the old Cave,where my baby worked.I saw Ruby Star there I believe,the CB that is.Alot of fun,the Australian fleet was in.Alot of sailors in sparkling white was quite the sight watching them,watchin' Ruby Star.She was sorta a cross between Janis Joplin and Lydia Pence from Cold Blood in voice.
Is there still alot of foxes in Van? I know the West End was just that,a gay area,but where Joannie and I lived there were alot of good looking birds around. We were behind The Ritz a few blocks and close the Granville mall.She said it was the "Irish" area.But you know the Canuck ladies can have such a dry sense of humor.We had a few college,our age at the time friends in the building and the block.So,are the ladies still as pretty as I remember (and had) still around? Or are they all American tourists? Ha! LOL :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:10 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Ah yeah,I remember it,but thought that the Ritz's ballroom were one in the same when I lived there.Ya,know like The Ritz is proud to feature Frank Sinatra with the MOI Orchestra in the Commador Ballroom.Now I remember they are in seperate buildings not all that far from the old Cave,where my baby worked.I saw Ruby Star there I believe,the CB that is.Alot of fun,the Australian fleet was in.Alot of sailors in sparkling white was quite the sight watching them,watchin' Ruby Star.She was sorta a cross between Janis Joplin and Lydia Pence from Cold Blood in voice.
Is there still alot of foxes in Van? I know the West End was just that,a gay area,but where Joannie and I lived there were alot of good looking birds around. We were behind The Ritz a few blocks and close the Granville mall.She said it was the "Irish" area.But you know the Canuck ladies can have such a dry sense of humor.We had a few college,our age at the time friends in the building and the block.So,are the ladies still as pretty as I remember (and had) still around? Or are they all American tourists? Ha! LOL :wink: 8)

Cool stories!

I don't know of The Ritz - it must've been around before my time. But there is an Irish pub at the south-east corner of Granville & Robson. And the West End is still gay central. And yes, there's still plenty of smokin' hot females here. But while some of them are probably Americans, I think most of them are Canucks... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:51 pm 

truly a magical night!!! first time at the Commodore and hope not the last!!! took a vid of the concert!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVUq-Aye ... Mg&index=1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:40 pm 

mykale wrote:
truly a magical night!!! first time at the Commodore and hope not the last!!! took a vid of the concert!!!

Thanks for the footage!

It's been an entire month and I can't believe I initially missed this post!

And here are selections from nearly half the show:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... myWgkPHlYc

:twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:21 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
mykale wrote:

Thanks for the footage!

It's been an entire month and I can't believe I initially missed this post!

And here are selections from nearly half the show:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... myWgkPHlYc

:twisted:

Nice freakin' show you lucky bastards! Glad you guys had a good time.I almost forgot about this thread,just saw it in the *view new posts* page.It's been over a year for me and DZpZ and nothing in sight.Bummer! Thanx for the vids y'all. {-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:33 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
2 & ½ years later and ZPZ finally make it up the road to Vancouver, BC (the 5th time in 6 years). This was a GA show, so I made my way up front to what would‘ve been the 3rd row in front of Ben Thomas. Entering the stage, ZPZ and Dweezil greeted the crowd, mentioned that it had been awhile since they’ve played here and then immediately launched the band into Zomby Woof, to thunderous applause. Scheila Gonzalez sang lead vocals duties on Dirty Love and ripped it! She truly gave this track new life. And when she did, it immediately reminded me of Bianca’s ‘76 rendition. Next up, came a mini-Roxy & Elsewhere set that included Echidna’s Arf (Of You), Penguin In Bondage & Pygmy Twylyte, where once again Sheila was the highlight and performed a stunning and lengthy alto sax solo that had you dying for more! Then came a Sheik Yerbouti mini-set, performing I’m So Cute, complete with Chris Norton singing lead and urging everyone in the house to…"…go get some cyanide and dieeeeeeeee…die die die die!”, Baby Snakes & Tryin’ To Grow A Chin. I didn’t know Dweezil could jump up and down and play guitar simultaneously but he did! Wind Up Workin’ In A Gas Station had Ben Thomas and the band demanding everyone, “…show me their thumb if you‘re really dumb!” And many did just that. Ride My Face To Chicago was the sing-a-long of sing-along tunes for casual Zappa fans who weren’t familiar with the track. But THE highlight of the night for me was my all time favourite FZ song. A tune that ZPZ had only started playing earlier this week and debuted in Salt Lake City. FINALLY, it was time for ZPZ to include Moggio in the setlist. Beforehand, Dweezil explained the backstory, the complexity of the piece and why it was called Moggio. And despite only lasting a short 2 1/2 minutes, it simple made my night! I don’t think there were any mistakes and thankfully the sound mix at this venue was good enough to discern every detail. ZPZ’s roadie might as well have been Captain Beefheart himself when invited on stage to sing Debra Kabadra, it was that good! Dweezil’s guitar tone almost exactly matched the distorted guitar tone FZ utilized on the Freak Out! classic, Who Are The Brain Police? And we apparently have the revolutionary guitar-effects rig, Fractal Axe-Fx to thank for that! Actually, during the intro, I didn’t immediately recognize the song since there was so much bass included in this part of it. Packard Goose ended the set with probably Dweezil’s most interesting solo and with Scheila singing/playing the part of Mary. The encore included the standards, Cosmik Debris, which included lengthy solos from just about every ZPZ band member and then the volume swelled uproariously for an extremely powerful version of Muffin Man. The show ended with the very nicely-arranged 200 Motels classic, Strictly Genteel, complete with Ben's trumpet (good to see he's now using a trombone in some songs too!) and Scheila's alto sax complimentary accompaniment…after which Dweezil told us that they’d see us again soon.

Apart from the extreme diligence of ZPZ as a whole, the band member of night was clearly Scheila Gonzalez. Dweezil recently explained why he had to downside the band. Considering this, if in the future there are even fewer ZPZ members, she’d better not be let go because it would be a damn shame!

This was the first year I didn’t buy any ZPZ merch. This was partly because the merch booth mainly had over-priced t-shirts & hoodies and surprisingly only had one of the new releases, which was Understanding America - a comp I’m not really interested in. So it looks as though I’m going to have to buy Road Tapes, Venue #1 & Finer Moments online shortly.

Almost every time they’ve played here, ZPZ have played a different venue. This year they played the best club in town, the Commodore Ballroom. It holds about 1,000 people and was a virtual sell-out. Oddly enough, since there was a rap concert scheduled for 11 pm, ZPZ hit the stage just after 7:30 pm. But it was good to see more younger fans in attendance this time out. I consider myself fortunate to have been within the first 6 rows for each 5 Vancouver ZPZ visits and cannot wait until they return!

SETLIST:

December 22
Vancouver, BC
Commodore Ballroom

7:35 pm

1 Zomby Woof
2 Hungry Freaks, Daddy!
3 Teenage Prostitute
4 Dirty Love
5 Echidna's Arf
6 Penguin In Bondage - SEGUE
7 Pygmy Twylyte - SCHEILA solo - SEGUE