Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:19 pm 

Almost Boy wrote:

That's nice. And your lame-ass opinion about Prince is something I should consider...because?

Because Prince is a scrotum licker and a Michael Jakson wannabe, and only a true cheese ball douchebag would be lame enough to admit to spending money to see him on a Frank Zappa forum, of all places.

...the 20 minute album side version... :lol:

Purple vein, purple vein.

I only wanted to see you underneath my purple vein.

I bet Almost Boy has this poster hanging up on his bedroom wall. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:34 am 

Disco Boy wrote:

Name one very popular artist that doesn't charge high prices. I'll wait here.

I think his output is shit, but you asked for one:

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.2 ... y-robbery-

Kid Rock also revealed that he worked closely with Live Nation to cut the costs for fans and was even willing to take a pay cut to ensure that fans were treated to $20 concert tickets and $4 12 oz. beers among other perks. According to the Detroit artist, the pay cut could possibly cost him around $50,000 to $100,000 per night.

“It’s gotten out of hand. The price of concerts, the price of entertainment period. Whether it’s a sporting event, going to the movies, buy a soda there, whatever…I’ve always tried to keep prices [to] what I think are fair. And I’ve always said I’m proud that I can walk around with my head held high and look someone in the eye knowing that I haven’t taken an unhonest dollar from a working man. But how can we make it better,” Kid Rock questioned.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:27 pm 

duchamp wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Kid Rock also revealed that he worked closely with Live Nation to cut the costs for fans and was even willing to take a pay cut to ensure that fans were treated to $20 concert tickets and $4 12 oz. beers among other perks. According to the Detroit artist, the pay cut could possibly cost him around $50,000 to $100,000 per night.

“It’s gotten out of hand. The price of concerts, the price of entertainment period. Whether it’s a sporting event, going to the movies, buy a soda there, whatever…I’ve always tried to keep prices [to] what I think are fair. And I’ve always said I’m proud that I can walk around with my head held high and look someone in the eye knowing that I haven’t taken an unhonest dollar from a working man. But how can we make it better,” Kid Rock questioned.

Remember "The Clash"?
"Sandinista! is the fourth studio album by the English punk rock band The Clash. It was released on 12 December 1980 as a triple album containing 36 tracks, with 6 songs on each side. Anticipating the "world music" trend of the 1980s, it features reggae, jazz, mock gospel, rockabilly, folk, dub, rhythm and blues, calypso, and rap. For the first time, the band's traditional songwriting credits of Strummer and Jones were replaced by a generic credit to the Clash, and the band cut the album royalties, in order to release the 3-LP at a low price."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:54 pm 

tweedle-dumb wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
That's nice. And your lame-ass opinion about Prince is something I should consider...because?

Because Prince is a scrotum licker and a Michael Jakson wannabe, and only a true cheese ball douchebag would be lame enough to admit to spending money to see him on a Frank Zappa forum, of all places.

...the 20 minute album side version... :lol:

I only wanted to see you underneath my purple vein.

I bet Almost Boy has this poster hanging up on his bedroom wall. :lol:

Prince is a Michael Jackson wannabe?! Ok... :roll: What an incredibly stupid comment, especially considering Prince is LIGHT YEARS more talented than MJ ever was...and in every way shape and form. Prince writes, produces and arranges all of his material and plays over THREE DOZEN instruments, moron. Wtf did MJ do? :roll:

Btw, in case you haven't noticed...there are plenty of Prince fans on this forum.

duchamp wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Are you actually reading this thread? Because I already went over the Kid Rock example two page ago. It's all hype.

Once again...

Kid Rock is NOT a large draw in most markets. Secondly, he's double-billing with ZZ Top. Also, there's about 1,000 tix per show that are being sold for 10x or more to compensate for the cheaper $20 tix...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:07 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
words

You're reeling from the exhilaration of your delusions.

Of course the huge stars are in it for the money. I can't name one super- duper- star that doesn't cater to the rich. That's why they are put forth as stars. They play ball. They jump when management speaks. They're not in it for the music. I am not arguing that.

I am posing solutions to this pathetic charade. A solution aimed at any band that says they wish they could charge less but, "golly, gee, the demand is so high we just can't".

My solutions: Break up your lame band. Don't tour. Play something besides your tired old greatest hits. Make a radical new album. One which all the sheep, who are willing to pay $200 to see you, wont understand. Do something creative and fresh. If you're Glen Frey, admit to the world that Lyin' Eyes is a piece of dogshit. If you're a nostalgia act/ cover band, try writing something original.

Sure, performing corporate rock forces you to be a pig. I understand completely and DB is correct. They wont let you be a super-duper-star if you rock the boat. You must join the greed orgy. You must become a part of the growing number of bloated untalented millionaires playing the same shit night after night.

But why participate? Start a solo project that plays feedback noise. Become a monk. Anything but continue the lie. Why defend it on supply and demand principles? (Were you defending it?) Reveal it for what it really is. A sucker's bet. After all, they're claiming to be in it for the music.

That being said, I never claimed it as a rip off. The masses are free to pay hundreds of dollars to see nostalgia acts if they choose. (Although brainwashed people don't really choose, I guess.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:16 pm 

Almost a Boy wrote:

Prince is a Michael Jackson wannabe?! Ok... :roll: What an incredibly stupid comment, especially considering Prince is LIGHT YEARS more talented than MJ ever was...and in every way shape and form. Prince writes, produces and arranges all of his material and plays over THREE DOZEN instruments, moron. Wtf did MJ do? :roll:

Btw, in case you haven't noticed...there are plenty of Prince fans on this forum.

Prince and Michael Jackson both suck.

I only notice one Prince fan on the forum, and he's, what they call on the other side of the pond, a tosser.

Go kiss your Prince poster, he's waiting for you with his salad...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:55 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
words

Of course the huge stars are in it for the money. I can't name one super- duper- star that doesn't cater to the rich. That's why they are put forth as stars. They play ball. They jump when management speaks. They're not in it for the music. I am not arguing that.

I am posing solutions to this pathetic charade. A solution aimed at any band that says they wish they could charge less but, "golly, gee, the demand is so high we just can't".

My solutions: Break up your lame band. Don't tour. Play something besides your tired old greatest hits. Make a radical new album. One which all the sheep, who are willing to pay $200 to see you, wont understand. Do something creative and fresh. If you're Glen Frey, admit to the world that Lyin' Eyes is a piece of dogshit. If you're a nostalgia act/ cover band, try writing something original.

Sure, performing corporate rock forces you to be a pig. I understand completely and DB is correct. They wont let you be a super-duper-star if you rock the boat. You must join the greed orgy. You must become a part of the growing number of bloated untalented millionaires playing the same shit night after night.

But why participate? Start a solo project that plays feedback noise. Become a monk. Anything but continue the lie. Why defend it on supply and demand principles? (Were you defending it?) Reveal it for what it really is. A sucker's bet. After all, they're claiming to be in it for the music.

That being said, I never claimed it as a rip off. The masses are free to pay hundreds of dollars to see nostalgia acts if they choose. (Although brainwashed people don't really choose, I guess.)

First worthwhile post on this topic. Thank you!

Other than that: Zappa is a one generation phenomenon. And there still is demand from this generation. So there is supply. That is the only reason a company like Universal is participating in this business with the reissues. They are only in it for the money and grab it from the fans as long as those are still alive. And they knew they had to come up with something like remasters so people would buy that stuff one more time. They have for sure done market research and they know their numbers. I never believed that Zappa for a new and younger generation shit. There are no young people at ZPZ-shows. The whole machinery is still fed by a slowly and soon faster decreasing number of old generation people. As soon as this generation dies out, the demand for Zappa will drop to zero. And the ZFT and associated companies know that. Their motto is: Nothing lasts forever, grab it while you can!

Th.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:03 am 

Thinman wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
words

First worthwhile post on this topic. Thank you!

Other than that: Zappa is a one generation phenomenon. And there still is demand from this generation. So there is supply. That is the only reason a company like Universal is participating in this business with the reissues. They are only in it for the money and grab it from the fans as long as those are still alive. And they knew they had to come up with something like remasters so people would buy that stuff one more time. They have for sure done market research and they know their numbers. I never believed that Zappa for a new and younger generation shit. There are no young people at ZPZ-shows. The whole machinery is still fed by a slowly and soon faster decreasing number of old generation people. As soon as this generation dies out, the demand for Zappa will drop to zero. And the ZFT and associated companies know that. Their motto is: Nothing lasts forever, grab it while you can!

Th.

And meanwhile, from Wikipedia and as per Ryko Läther booklet, here are the best selling albums in the USA from the beginning to the end of Zappa's career as a recording artist. How many of these stand up to the tough standard of timelessness sensibly put forward by Thinman?

1965 Soundtrack – Mary Poppins
1966 Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass (US) Whipped Cream & Other Delights
1967 The Monkees (US) More of The Monkees
1968 The Jimi Hendrix Experience (UK) Are You Experienced?
1969 Iron Butterfly (US) In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
1970 Simon and Garfunkel (US) Bridge Over Troubled Water
1971 Various Artists – Jesus Christ Superstar
1972 Neil Young (Can) Harvest
1973 War (US) The World Is a Ghetto
1974 Elton John (UK) Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
1975 Elton John (UK) Elton John's Greatest Hits
1976 Peter Frampton (UK) Frampton Comes Alive
1977 Fleetwood Mac (UK) Rumours
1978 Bee Gees/Soundtrack – Saturday Night Fever
1979 Billy Joel (US) 52nd Street
1980 Pink Floyd (UK) The Wall
1981 REO Speedwagon (US) Hi Infidelity
1982 Asia (UK) Asia
1983 Michael Jackson (US) Thriller
1984 Michael Jackson (US) Thriller
1985 Bruce Springsteen (US) Born in the U.S.A.
1986 Whitney Houston (US) Whitney Houston
1987 Bon Jovi (US) Slippery When Wet
1988 George Michael (UK) Faith
1989 Bobby Brown (US) Don't Be Cruel
1990 Janet Jackson (US) Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814
1991 Garth Brooks (US) Ropin' The Wind
1992 Billy Ray Cyrus (US) Some Gave All 4,832,000
1993 Soundtrack1 - The Bodyguard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:35 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
Prince is a Michael Jackson wannabe?! Ok... :roll: What an incredibly stupid comment, especially considering Prince is LIGHT YEARS more talented than MJ ever was...and in every way shape and form. Prince writes, produces and arranges all of his material and plays over THREE DOZEN instruments, moron. Wtf did MJ do?

Agreed. Sign 'O the Times kills! So does the black album.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:06 am 

I'm no MJ guy by any means, but we have to accept that he had a huge affect on music and that his Off the Wall album was a huge game changer, followed later by Thriller which caused an enormous direction change across various media...your miss directed dislike for this individual should not be allowed to dull your intellect to the facts of what happened...

:smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:14 am 

I almost shit myself when I saw that poster.....What a douche !

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:39 pm 

tweedle-dumb wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Prince and Michael Jackson both suck.

I only notice one Prince fan on the forum, and he's, what they call on the other side of the pond, a tosser.

Go kiss your Prince poster, he's waiting for you with his salad...

Fuck off, you asshole. And ONCE AGAIN, there are PLENTY of Prince fans here. And you'd know that if you could read.

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
words

You can't be for real.

If so, then what you're saying is ALL groups that are successful aren't in it for the music?! That's BS, especially since it's NOT as simple or black & white as that. So fucking what if they want to make a lot of $$$ making music?! That doesn't necessarily mean that the art they're creating is of inferior quality. And while there is a lot of truth to what you've stated regarding most mainstream acts, it certainly doesn't even remotely come close to telling the whole story. But I guess that doesn't matter to you because you're one of these idiots who thinks you have to be playing to no more than 3 people in Buttfuck Nowhere, Arkansas, to be considered worthy. I provided names of a few top selling artists who have occasionally done smaller scale tours because they just don't want to strictly play hits all the time. There are others as well. But you ignored that to make your point which is incredibly skewed and lopsided.

And with that attitude, you will NEVER understand supply & demand (which is a separate topic compared to your rant about artistic integrity above). :roll:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:26 pm 

edited by my legal advisors

Last edited by downer mydnyte on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:15 pm 

Intramural dick-flicking among the Bitch-And-Moan Brigade aside, I will answer one question about big name and great artists who don't overcharge their fans: The Foo Fighters put on an amazing show, play for 2.75 hours after two opening bands, and only charge around $50 per tickets, even for the really good seats.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:38 pm 

Apparently the bulk of the tickets to the Beacon Halloween show in all sections are still available, including the top tier priced tickets. Many of them were snatched up before the general public got a crack at them, by brokers like the ones from this site...

http://www.ticketnetwork.com/tix/zappa- ... 32606.aspx

It's too early to speculate whether the demand will meet the supply criteria for this show in particular.

------------------------------------------------------------

"It's fun being in Islamic countries, to know there's only one religion. There's order. You wear a burqa. There's no choice. People are happy with that." ~ Prince

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/ju ... ntries-fun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:28 pm 

blsabob23 wrote:
Intramural dick-flicking among the Bitch-And-Moan Brigade aside, I will answer one question about big name and great artists who don't overcharge their fans: The Foo Fighters put on an amazing show, play for 2.75 hours after two opening bands, and only charge around $50 per tickets, even for the really good seats.

On their last tour, that was basically what their North American average price was since they aren't as popular here as they are overseas. Their worldwide average price, however, was nearly $74... :roll:

tweedle-dumb wrote:
Apparently the bulk of the tickets to the Beacon Halloween show in all sections are still available, including the top tier priced tickets. Many of them were snatched up before the general public got a crack at them, by brokers like the ones from this site...

http://www.ticketnetwork.com/tix/zappa- ... 32606.aspx

It's too early to speculate whether the demand will meet the supply criteria for this show in particular.

You don't know what you're talking about. The show in question will sell fine and be either sold out or near capacity by showtime... :roll:

tweedle-dumb wrote:
------------------------------------------------------------

"It's fun being in Islamic countries, to know there's only one religion. There's order. You wear a burqa. There's no choice. People are happy with that." ~ Prince

This proves NOTHING, just like your ENTIRE posting history. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:07 am 

If they don't sell out, or nearly sell out, they'll be giving tickets away just to fill the room, just like they did when they played in my hometown last year. Don't get me wrong, I want them to be able to sell out the Beacon (maybe/maybe not), or Madison Square Garden (fat chance) or Giants Stadium (not in a million years). It's just way too early to make an almost presumption about something that hasn't happened yet.

What point exactly do you think I was trying to prove with the Prince quote about his visiting Islamic countries, and thinking that "not having a choice" is a good thing? Paranoid much? Afraid your idol is a nutjob?

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:57 am 

Thinman wrote:
Zappa is a one generation phenomenon. And there still is demand from this generation. So there is supply. That is the only reason a company like Universal is participating in this business with the reissues. They are only in it for the money and grab it from the fans as long as those are still alive. And they knew they had to come up with something like remasters so people would buy that stuff one more time. They have for sure done market research and they know their numbers. I never believed that Zappa for a new and younger generation shit. There are no young people at ZPZ-shows. The whole machinery is still fed by a slowly and soon faster decreasing number of old generation people. As soon as this generation dies out, the demand for Zappa will drop to zero. And the ZFT and associated companies know that. Their motto is: Nothing lasts forever, grab it while you can!

Th.

You may have a point there. I really do wonder just how many young people are digging Zappa as opposed to all of the older fanbase. You may have a point that demand for Zappa may disappear. But I do have some hope that maybe his orchestral music will continue to interest art music enthusiasts years after. Hopefully all these orchestral performances (200 Motels, Greggery Peccary at this year's Proms etc) will work some wonders in that particular niche.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:08 pm 

Wow, this conversation is STILL happening??!?!?!??

Eesh, not sure what to add here other than the following

1- Prince Rules. Whoever said he sucked is an idiot
2- The Beacon show will sellout and we are looking for something special to do the night before in the Big Apple
3- This all gets announced in a few days so (thankfully) you'll have something new to dissect!
4- Lucky new cities on this run include.... Eau Clair!!!!, Iowa City, and Quebec is WELL COVERED!

You heard it here first.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:27 pm 

chumcloud wrote:

Yep, that's how it goes in here. People gripe topics to death because they are incredibly impressed with themselves and love to see their own words in print. It's all so intellectual and impressive! :P

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:41 pm 

Entertainment is disgustingly overrated.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:30 pm 

chumcloud wrote:

Eesh, not sure what to add here other than the following

1- Prince Rules. Whoever said he sucked is an idiot
2- The Beacon show will sellout and we are looking for something special to do the night before in the Big Apple
3- This all gets announced in a few days so (thankfully) you'll have something new to dissect!
4- Lucky new cities on this run include.... Eau Clair!!!!, Iowa City, and Quebec is WELL COVERED!

You heard it here first.

Thanks for bringing a much-needed reality check to the forum. And that's because, unfortunately, many posters here are complete idiots. And I'm glad to see you're not.

I think the big announcement next week will probably be the release date of Roxy by Proxy, the concert film premiere of The Roxy Performances in Times Square, coupled with Roxy & Elsewhere being performed in its entirety during the next ZPZ tour, to kick off the 40th Anniversary celebrations of said concerts/album...

===============================

Just in case you guys don't know, chumcloud is ZPZ's booking agent...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:19 am 

chumcloud wrote:
…Prince Rules. Whoever said he sucked is an idiot …

In that case, I gladly be an idiot. Since I am not hanging around at public toilets, I don't have to listen to Prince either ;-). I have nothing against gay people btw., in case somebody tries to draw that conclusion.

Seriously: everybody used to have at least one or two Prince albums in the '80s. But I don't know anybody who would ever have bothered to listen to that stuff again since then.

Prince and MJ clearly belong to the "Them"-fraction, just like their fans. Not "Us".

Th.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:49 am 

Prince is overrated and his albums are over produced and cheesy sounding, just like almost everything else that came out of the '80s and early '90s. They permiate with the stench of fromunda.

Regarding the Beacon show, it should sell out and I hope it does. Frank Zappa's music deserves to sell out at least ten shows in a row at the Beacon, like the Allman Brothers annual spring runs always do there. ZPZ carries the torch nicely, with or without alumni and/or alumnae.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:29 pm 

Thinman wrote:
chumcloud wrote:
…Prince Rules. Whoever said he sucked is an idiot …

In that case, I gladly be an idiot. Since I am not hanging around at public toilets, I don't have to listen to Prince either ;-). I have nothing against gay people btw., in case somebody tries to draw that conclusion.

Seriously: everybody used to have at least one or two Prince albums in the '80s. But I don't know anybody who would ever have bothered to listen to that stuff again since then.

Prince and MJ clearly belong to the "Them"-fraction, just like their fans. Not "Us".

Th.

Prince isn't gay, he has had more tail than you could imagine...BTW I am not a big prince fan, but find he is very Beatleish at times...those songs I like, never bought an album though... :smoke:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next