Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:55 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
Let it be know that Kurt has been involved in the Scoremeister role for longer than some folks realise. Quite some time ago Kurt shared with me some audio N'Lightenment of one of FZs uncompleted orchestral works. It's not my job to reveal any surprises that lurk inside the vault.... I am not going to give anything away regarding what scores, and or uncompleted scores exist in the vault, but folks should be aware that scores, and or partial scores do exist.

Well, then be quiet! If you don't put up, shut up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:57 am 

I started getting agitated that I am missing out on this, but then I realized Dweezil & Kurt Morgan won't be able to attend either as they have a gig that evening, far far away. And they obviously deserve it, to be at Disney. My bet is their ZPZ show that evening will be the most aggressive show of all.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:07 am 

L.A. Philharmonic Announces Cast For World Premiere of Frank Zappa's "200 Motels"
http://www.la.com/ci_24330025/l-philharmonic-announces-cast-world-premiere-frank-zappas

LA.com News BLOG

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:49 am 

If they don't video record this and release it, I'm going to be very upset.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:32 pm 

Scott Thunes reports that rehearsals are going well. Like him on facebook to read his blogs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:34 pm 

I think my friends and family would have to kill me if I've held off this long, but ended up creating a Facebook account so I could get more Zappa info.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:49 am 

Just a little open minded thinking with regards to the conceptual continuity of character roles....

While Frank Zappa had completed his score for 200 Motels long before Wes Craven's 1996 Scream, if FZ had ever penned an 80s Zappa opus, specifically with a character role of Scott Thunes, I have to wonder if Matthew Lillard would be the perfect actor to play the part the Scott Thunes character role. Just as sure as Scott was a Clonemeister for the Zappa Band Scott could be seen being theatrical on the live stage. Scott did this so well that one could think a part of these characters, such as the He's So Gay theatrics, were a part of his personality. Not to take anything of the character roles all that literally. If folks investigate they can find recent commentary where He's NOT Gay but the performance energy of Scott Thunes is very much full throttle with the excitement of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

While Frank certainly does have several late 70s and 80s Oratorios several were written before Scott was in the band. Speaking of one written during Scott's tenure, while Scott did come out on stage wearing a Thing Fish painting on a jacket that's another story. I find it fitting that the ZFT have chosen Scott Thunes to perform in 200 Motels. While history has shown some personality conflicts these guys are all very professional, musically speaking they all seem to fit in so very well. It's going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out in the production. There will be those moments where it's just the so called rock band....

and but also, Can't help but to think of the guy on the drum kit. Joe Travers has done more than any drummer in FZs tenure. Collectively he has performed so many parts so very well. Joe has shown that he not only carries the weight but that he can also sing so many of the vocal parts that FZ wrote quite well. Not to take too much away from the orchestra, choral group and soloists.... Pointedly there just may be a bit more room for these musicians to get a little involved in the traditional stage parts that FZ had his band-mates doing live.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:03 am 

I can't make it to the show on Wednesday, so I need to sell my tix. 2 in the Terrace West section. PM if interested. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:46 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I think my friends and family would have to kill me if I've held off this long, but ended up creating a Facebook account so I could get more Zappa info.

Well this may temp you to join facebook :-) from Scott Thunes page, Enjoy:

Rehearsal went well. The full orchestra is a sight to behold; it's even more impressive from the inside. The front. Whatever.

The 'band' is set up in front of the podium in a semi-circle-clump. The rear seats have been removed as designed to make more room for us and the 32-member choir that will stand on risers behind the large percussion array. I should count tomorrow, but I think Andrew Glick will be able to tell me exactly how many people there are on stage at one time.

The Soprano, Hila Plitman http://www.laphil.com/philpedia/hila-plitmann, is fantastic. She's gorgeous - of course - in the way I like (people who know me know my preferences in this regard) - and has style, taste, a massive set of pipes and pitch like nobodies' business. Her high "D" is an amazing thing to behold. Also, she's got them there acting chops making her character of the Journalist particularly funny…

The two male soloists who play Mark and Howard are funny and sound great. They're loving the vibe on stage, making it a goof-fest for them, even in using their serious chops. The guy who plays Mark sounds a shitload like Mark Volman. It's eerie.

Esa-Pekka is even funnier and more engaging in front of the large forces. He is slightly effeminate with his 'purse-arm' mannerism and his method for cupping his mouth to project further: he digs his fingers into the corner of his mouth and raises his voice slightly. It almost looks like he's doing a stage whisper, but I guess, to him, it must be focusing his voice to the area of the orchestra he's aiming at.

After the break, I figured I'd get the score on my laptop. It was annoying trying to follow-along with Joe Travers' drum set score. It was light on essentials and I had a freaking full score. Why am I plodding along with insufficient technology? So I get the laptop and Jamie and I are following along. At some point, Joe figures he'll join in so I put it on my music stand to give us all a view.

Bad choice. It's right in front of the oboist. She has to tap my shoulder and harshly put my joy aside, with a 'it's very distracting'. They've been waiting for me to fuck up so they can pounce. I take my claw marks with requisite humility, apologize, and lick my wounds with the laptop on my lap, where else?

The two people who were told to say 'hi' to me say 'hi'. I shake hands, and enjoy the backstage milling-about. I go up to the symphony's hired electric bass player and give him some glory. He's nice, gives me props as 'the Scott Thunes' and I ask him if he'd like to change places, so I can have the 'hard part'. He smilingly refuses, knowing he's got the better end of the deal. Bastard.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:33 am 

Thanx Manx! Very cool to post that for the socially negligent. And thanx to ST for giving the world a look at the goings on! :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:16 am 

FYI - Make sure you show up early.

http://www.laphil.com/tickets/box-office

Strict policies here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:49 am 

From Oct.19th

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ar ... 8192.story

I love this part

Among other things, faithfully performing the score of "200 Motels" will induce the L.A. Phil, the Los Angeles Master Chorale, 13 singer-actors (among them Diva Zappa, the youngest of the composer's four children, who plays a groupie named Janet) and a five-member rock band to essay a suite called "Penis Dimension." While singing it, each of the 32 chorus members will brandish an illuminated sex toy, per Zappa's written instructions.

How's that for 'composers intent?'

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:27 pm 

That is something to look forward to! :)

I also like the very next sentence:

While his devotees may wish to classify Zappa's penchant for dwelling on anatomical parts and bodily functions as Rabelaisian, others have dismissed it as puerile.

Just how many threads have we gone through that were titled Rabelaisian vs. Puerile?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:20 pm 

That stuff kills germs though.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:01 pm 

I made it to LA! The hall is visible from my hotel room. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:52 pm 

I anticipate your report. Make it a lengthy one, please!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:38 pm 

brainpang wrote:

I anticipate your report. Make it a lengthy one, please!

+2.

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:39 am 

Have a great time Arkay!

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:43 am 

Go to the club or the bar or wherever the pussy is found
In the town your band is booked to play in
It's always a little bit harder to score
If it's just your first time in a town you never hit before

my favorite lyrics from the movie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:46 am 

Scott says of Michael Des Barres:

We are going to be doing a pre-show reading of the transcript of the trial that frank lost to be reparated for the costs of 200 Motels being cancelled for "obscenity". Michael is KILLING it as a pompous windbag of a barrister. Cracking up is standard. Thanks, Michael, for doing this.

I gonna try and get there extra early

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:04 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Have a great time Arkay!

Double that! I almost flew down for this one. I've got a feeling your in for something special, you lucky guy! We expect a full report tomorrow and that's an order!!! :wink: 8) :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:37 pm 

Thanx Manxs

I was just at the gift shop. There will be swag, tshirts etc... but not for a couple hours. Waiting waiting...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:28 pm 

Thanx Manxs

I was just at the gift shop. There will be swag, tshirts etc... but not for a couple hours. Waiting waiting...

I want a 200 Motels lunchbox & thermos! :twisted: 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:06 pm 

I just joined and posted at Activation. Anybody else here going to the premier tonight?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:09 pm 

It was so hard for me to talk myself out of flying out there for this. I feel I may regret it for a long time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next