Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:59 pm 

Everyone got their download..... And Fucked....And now fucked again..... 2008 was the last time I was fucked by them. Finally healed up. Just keep bending over, Bald headed John got a sausage fo yo ass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:00 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
ZPZ NZ or at least ZPZ OZ

And I promise to say no more about the free download debacle :mrgreen:

Bullshit !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:05 pm 

ZPZ Playing Toads in New Haven. Saw P/O there last year. How far have they fallen. Might be able to get them for a birthday party.....For maybe how much ? Anyone ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:49 pm 

You must know Chum......How much to to play a 200 seat hall half sold ? Maybe a backyard party. The Dweez can stay home, no crybabies allowed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:16 pm 

If the math makes sense, and it routes. :)

C'mon, I'm not going to try and defend DZ on the downloads. I don't think he'd even defend it on it's basic principal. It was a mistake. Point taken. That said, and yes I work for Dweezil and I am 100% in his corner, the guy deserves credit 10X over for being able to accomplish what he's been able to accomplish with this project. And, while the venue sizes aren't quite what they were in 2006 and 2007, they are the same venues from 2008-2013. And the advance ticket sales on this tour in particular are very strong. Disco Boy, tonight in Vancouver-sold out.

And what's more, Dweezil works hard out there. This isn't a guy taking his lineage and trying to ride it out without putting in the hard work. This band plays sometimes 7 days a week, go look at the schedule. He does a 3pm Masterclass, then the Soundcheck Party, then the show. He started this tour on Jan 25, goes until March 8th, then fly's to Dallas on March 9, and does the Hendrix tour until April 12th. For the rare Zappa fan that can't count, that is SEVENTY NINE straight days touring. No breaks.

We've been fortunate enough to take the band to towns that Frank never played, ever. He could just as easily play NYC, SF, Boston, Chicago and a few others and take it easy, but he is dedicated to spreading the music of his father in a way that would make his father proud. And this music, as you know, isn't 2 rehearsals and hit the stage. It takes a lot of preparation and a lot of repetition. He doesn't take ANY shortcuts.

So, yes, knock him if you must for the downloads. if it makes you feel better. Will he get to them? I really don't know. But, FUCKING HELL MAN, give it up for that kind of dedication and determination. He loves the music, he loves the guitar (boy, does he LOVE the guitar) and he loves his father. He's not perfect.

I've watched this board since 2006 and chime in every now and then, but mostly I keep my mouth shut because, frankly (pun intended), the less I say the better. But next year will be the TENTH STRAIGHT YEAR of ZPZ and anyone that is reading this has to appreciate that. And yes, there are other Zappa tribute bands carrying the torch, too, and as a Zappa fan first I am happy to see the music played on in ANY capacity.

Hopefully, for those of you that still come to the shows, you get goosebumps still like I do. And for those that don't, and are mad or cynical or want to see it go down in a ball of flames, I'm sorry (for you). And I'm not saying "get over it" because we've all been crazy mad about things in life we never get over, but I guess my point here is simply that THE GOOD WAY WAY WAY OUTWEIGHS THE BAD. No question.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:53 pm 

Hello Mr. Chumcloud - I appreciate your impassioned response. I agree that Dweezil works his ass off. As you said just look at the schedule he keeps. I also appreciate that he hits a lot of smaller markets spreading the word (little places where Frank never played). Next week he hits my town of Chico for the second time in a two year span (who woulda thunk that?). I've disagreed with Dweezil and Gail's stance against others playing Frank's music (if the bands and club owners are complying with the legal requirements). I've been critical at times and even got myself banned from DZW. At this time I'd like to publicly say that I apologize for anything I may have said about Dweezil or Gail on any of the forums. We can agree to disagree on some things I guess. I love Frank Zappa music and have since I was 15 years old (that's 37 years ago). Anyway, I'll take my Zappa anyway I can get it and I think the ZFT and ZPZ have both done a great job. I don't think anyone should complain about the number or quality of the releases from the ZFT not to mention the fine re- release of the entire catalog. Nor can anyone dispute that ZPZ has been one of the hardest touring bands on the circuit over the last seven years. I'm going to see ZPZ for the 9th time next week and will be taking my 17 year old son (an aspiring musician) for the second time. Thanks for the efforts for keeping Frank's music alive and passing it on to future generations.

Sincerely,

KillUgly III

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:36 am 

chumcloud wrote:

...the guy deserves credit 10X over for being able to accomplish what he's been able to accomplish with this project...

And I thank you for your support. Not to in any way overtly pass any critical analysis on your support, but when it comes to maganicifcation of accomplishments the first thing that comes to mind is the Hubble telescope.

Surely Hubble has had some issues, but to date Hubble has given the most vivid far galactical lense look into outer space.

Tempus Fugit? Yes, close to a decade later the time has flew by so very quickly. When 2020 comes around I can only hope that Dweezil can continue, where at that time be the James Web look into Frank's music.

It's clear that the composers music is a magnet to Dweezil's soul. Dweezil continues to give everything he can, the symbol shines for all in the universe. Individuals only need to open their eyes, ears and hearts.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:09 pm 

Go ZAPPA!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:28 pm 

chumcloud wrote:
If the math makes sense, and it routes. :)

C'mon, I'm not going to try and defend DZ on the downloads. I don't think he'd even defend it on it's basic principal. It was a mistake. Point taken. That said, and yes I work for Dweezil and I am 100% in his corner, the guy deserves credit 10X over for being able to accomplish what he's been able to accomplish with this project. And, while the venue sizes aren't quite what they were in 2006 and 2007, they are the same venues from 2008-2013. And the advance ticket sales on this tour in particular are very strong. Disco Boy, tonight in Vancouver-sold out.

And what's more, Dweezil works hard out there. This isn't a guy taking his lineage and trying to ride it out without putting in the hard work. This band plays sometimes 7 days a week, go look at the schedule. He does a 3pm Masterclass, then the Soundcheck Party, then the show. He started this tour on Jan 25, goes until March 8th, then fly's to Dallas on March 9, and does the Hendrix tour until April 12th. For the rare Zappa fan that can't count, that is SEVENTY NINE straight days touring. No breaks.

We've been fortunate enough to take the band to towns that Frank never played, ever. He could just as easily play NYC, SF, Boston, Chicago and a few others and take it easy, but he is dedicated to spreading the music of his father in a way that would make his father proud. And this music, as you know, isn't 2 rehearsals and hit the stage. It takes a lot of preparation and a lot of repetition. He doesn't take ANY shortcuts.

So, yes, knock him if you must for the downloads. if it makes you feel better. Will he get to them? I really don't know. But, FUCKING HELL MAN, give it up for that kind of dedication and determination. He loves the music, he loves the guitar (boy, does he LOVE the guitar) and he loves his father. He's not perfect.

I've watched this board since 2006 and chime in every now and then, but mostly I keep my mouth shut because, frankly (pun intended), the less I say the better. But next year will be the TENTH STRAIGHT YEAR of ZPZ and anyone that is reading this has to appreciate that. And yes, there are other Zappa tribute bands carrying the torch, too, and as a Zappa fan first I am happy to see the music played on in ANY capacity.

Hopefully, for those of you that still come to the shows, you get goosebumps still like I do. And for those that don't, and are mad or cynical or want to see it go down in a ball of flames, I'm sorry (for you). And I'm not saying "get over it" because we've all been crazy mad about things in life we never get over, but I guess my point here is simply that THE GOOD WAY WAY WAY OUTWEIGHS THE BAD. No question.

Fuckin' A, man!

And I can assure you, everyone immensely enjoyed themselves at the exceptional Vancouver show last night and are extremely appreciative of ZPZ and Dweezil in particular.

OBDULA X,

GO FUCK YOURSELF!

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:42 am 

Well said chumcloud

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:00 am 

OBDULA X wrote:
ZPZ Playing Toads in New Haven. Saw P/O there last year. How far have they fallen. Might be able to get them for a birthday party.....For maybe how much ? Anyone ?

P/O has ALWAYS sucked!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:18 am 

KUIII wrote:
Hello Mr. Chumcloud - I appreciate your impassioned response. I agree that Dweezil works his ass off. As you said just look at the schedule he keeps. I also appreciate that he hits a lot of smaller markets spreading the word (little places where Frank never played). Next week he hits my town of Chico for the second time in a two year span (who woulda thunk that?). I've disagreed with Dweezil and Gail's stance against others playing Frank's music (if the bands and club owners are complying with the legal requirements). I've been critical at times and even got myself banned from DZW. At this time I'd like to publicly say that I apologize for anything I may have said about Dweezil or Gail on any of the forums. We can agree to disagree on some things I guess. I love Frank Zappa music and have since I was 15 years old (that's 37 years ago). Anyway, I'll take my Zappa anyway I can get it and I think the ZFT and ZPZ have both done a great job. I don't think anyone should complain about the number or quality of the releases from the ZFT not to mention the fine re- release of the entire catalog. Nor can anyone dispute that ZPZ has been one of the hardest touring bands on the circuit over the last seven years. I'm going to see ZPZ for the 9th time next week and will be taking my 17 year old son (an aspiring musician) for the second time. Thanks for the efforts for keeping Frank's music alive and passing it on to future generations.

Sincerely,

KillUgly III

Well said ol' chap... :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:13 am 

chumcloud wrote:
If the math makes sense, and it routes...

... For the rare Zappa fan that can't count, that is SEVENTY NINE straight days touring. No breaks...

with nothing but groupies & chumcloud to love ya ... 79 days is a warm-up tour

1968, 314 days [1/28-12/7, moi w/collins]
1969, 219 days [1/17-8/24, moi reunion]
1970, 312 days [2/8-12/17, moi f&e]
1971, 206 days [5/8-10/12, moi f&e]
1972, 96 days [9/10-12/15, wazoo]
1973, 294 days [2/23-12/14, moi w/ponty]
1974, 87 days [2/15-5/12, moi wo/ponty]
1974, 186 days [6/28-12/31, roxy]
etc.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:33 am 

Is that true? I've been around that "Planet Of My Dreams" site a bunch to research if Frank played here or there, but I never really took a look at how extensive the tours were. Are these numbers non stop touring? Or are those just time frames with 5 weeks on, 5 weeks off"

If those are tour lengths of non stop gigging, that is unreal.

For what it's worth, in todays world even with bands touring more than ever to make up for the lost album sales revenue, the tour Dweezil is on now is a long long one

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:41 am 

Yeah, I just took a spin around that site. The amount of gigs in the 70's is unreal especially considering all the music that was being created "in between". But generally the lengths don't go much beyond 5 weeks at a time. It's still an incredible pace.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:56 am 

He toured a lot in 1972, his wheelchair year... what a trooper!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:56 pm 

Dweezil is doing this to spread Zappa's music around?

I bet 95% of his audience is already quite familiar with Zappa's music. DZ should be releasing a lot more Frank Zappa concerts if he wants to spread Zappa's music around.

Dweezil PR on a Frank Zappa forum?

Just for perspective, Black Flag toured for 6 months straight in a van, living off about 5 dollars a day each in their 10th year as a band in 1986. Plus, they took chances on stage (lots of improvising) and kept developing new, original material.

I hope poor Dweezil does not get a blister. And I hope he doesn't get worn out from being fawned over in every town he meets and greets. It is exhausting constantly having your ass kissed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:14 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Dweezil is doing this to spread Zappa's music around?

I bet 95% of his audience is already quite familiar with Zappa's music. DZ should be releasing a lot more Frank Zappa concerts if he wants to spread Zappa's music around.

Dweezil PR on a Frank Zappa forum?

Just for perspective, Black Flag toured for 6 months straight in a van, living off about 5 dollars a day each in their 10th year as a band in 1986. Plus, they took chances on stage (lots of improvising) and kept developing new, original material.

I hope poor Dweezil does not get a blister. And I hope he doesn't get worn out from being fawned over in every town he meets and greets. It is exhausting constantly having your ass kissed.

DZ does it for that 5%. He should release more FZ audio and video at his concerts, though. And Frank was doing a little better financially, after 10years, compaired to Black Flag. Jeeez.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:51 pm 

Am I being too harsh?

Okay, maybe I went a little too far saying there's only one Zappa when it comes to music. I forgot about Francesco!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:02 pm 

I can tell you DZ has almost nothing to do with FZ releases or the pace that they are released. Fact.
And Black Flag are awesome and pioneers. What they did, they did. Doesn't take away from what Dweezil does. And if you don't think he's doing it to spread the music of his father, with the purest intentions, your really cynical.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:05 pm 

I guess this is where I get off the train folks. I said what I had to say, and I'll let you all go back to your cyber battle of good Zappa versus bad Zappa versus who knows what.
Music is the best.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:21 pm 

Stay on the train, Chumcloud! I am really cynical and I'm sorry. I was influenced by FZ at an impressionable age.

I would never think I had the right to question Dweezil's intentions. I do get the feeling that he would not be touring if he wasn't living quite comfortably. I don't blame him.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:26 pm 

chumcloud wrote:
I can tell you DZ has almost nothing to do with FZ releases or the pace that they are released. Fact.

I didn't realize that. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:40 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Stay on the train, Chumcloud! I am really cynical and I'm sorry. I was influenced by FZ at an impressionable age.

I would never think I had the right to question Dweezil's intentions. I do get the feeling that he would not be touring if he wasn't living quite comfortably. I don't blame him.

Got to agree with downer here. Despite my recent post I must say I've never come across an artist more cynical than Frank. Best be cautious when aligning your your personal philosophy with those of your childhood heroes .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:57 pm 

chumcloud wrote:
And Black Flag are awesome and pioneers. What they did, they did. Doesn't take away from what Dweezil does. And if you don't think he's doing it to spread the music of his father, with the purest intentions, your really cynical.

Thanks. That's good to know. It's been hard to tell what the division is in the ZFT/Gail/Dweezil axis. There has certainly never been any contradictions in that equation before and impossible to tell if Dweezil has any opinions that are different than his mother's.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next