Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:08 pm 

First row, center. Went yesterday with my 3 teens and missus. Concert of a lifetime.

I'll post the setlist later since Chris Norton gave his copy to my daughter (Marianne for those present) at the end of the show. He recognised her easily since she went on stage to "dance" Be-Bop tango. It was part of the Roxy 40th anniversary tour. At the end of Be-bop tango, I thought it was over and even though I was sad that it was ending, I was fully satisfied. That's when Dweezil announced they'd be back after a break.

Another complete set. Wow! 23 songs in all, ending with Muffin man, the song I introduced Frank's work to my kids. No matter how you try, can't be beat.

We saw ZPZ 2 years ago in Quebec and I can say that I'm really impressed by Ben's progress in the band, he doesn't try to overdo it, I guess he feels more a part of the band now. Kurt Morgan really impressed me. Spectacular presence, great bass play, pick technique and interaction with the audience.

I guess I don't have to mention Seila's brio since it's almost wall to wall positive comments everywhere, she really bonds the group (not penguin style...) and add fun on stage and is clearly a virtuoso sax player.

Even though Chris Norton is hidden behind his keybords, he's an essential part. Extremely talented with an awesome voice, I personnaly think he should get a bit more exposure, but hey, I'm on a limb to suggest how to improve this band.

Ryan Brown was good but did not really stood out. He was clean but did not stood out (I really liked Joe Travers).

Dweezil... well, I guess not much can be added to his talent but I'll add something. There is something profondly kind in this man. The minute his eyes meet yours, you have the conviction that you have met a great human being. When he plays he go from eyes closed to looking in the audience to make as much eye contact as possible, only to close his eyelids to focus on the music again and all this feel genuine. During muffin man at one point his eyes closed he started to smile even more than usual and then he totally shredded.

After the show, band members stayed to sign memorabilia, no rush, smiles still present at the last stop of the canadian tour. Just stunning. Concert of a lifetime.

Thank you so much,

Eric.