PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:49 am 

Happy Halloween....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:54 am 

35th Anniversary of THE BIG ONE!!

10/31/1978

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:49 am 

Damn. Wish I could be there tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:57 pm 

Halloween '78 was the best setlist Zappa ever performed. Shankar was great on Watermelon In Easter Hay.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:46 pm 

I was there on 10/29/78...he opened with Watermelon.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:35 am 

Any one here go to the NYC show last nite?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:55 am 

good question, i would have gone to see FZ but Pat Martino was playing at the iridium so I definitely would have gone to see him over DZPZ.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:03 am 

There needs to be a complete release of The Big One! None of this DVD-A bullcrap.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:04 am 

tiboudre wrote:
There needs to be a complete release of The Big One! None of this DVD-A bullcrap.

what? it would be amazing if there was a surround sound version of the complete show. Music in 5.1 Surround Sound is NOT bullcrap

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:26 pm 

Well, well, well... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:39 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
tiboudre wrote:

what? it would be amazing if there was a surround sound version of the complete show. Music in 5.1 Surround Sound is NOT bullcrap

Let me rephrase, DVD-A's (if you can afford the system) is not bullcrap. The Halloween DVD-A was.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:16 am 

Quote:
Let me rephrase, DVD-A's (if you can afford the system) is not bullcrap. The Halloween DVD-A was.

I couldn't agree more. With all of the outstanding performances from the Oct 31 show to choose from, the tracks selected for the DVD-A looked like they had been selected by a 13 year old girl named Debbie.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:45 am 

Yeah, the worst live albums are indeed the ones that appear to replace the greatest hits compilations. Sad thing is, at least half of the material was chosen by Frank himself (if you go by the liner notes). So why did he prefer the comedy rock stuff over, say "Little House I Used to Live In" or indeed "Watermelon"? Maybe some of the other stuff was already featured on the YCDTOSA series?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:26 am 

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
Quote:

I couldn't agree more. With all of the outstanding performances from the Oct 31 show to choose from, the tracks selected for the DVD-A looked like they had been selected by a 13 year old girl named Debbie.

As I type the 16:56 Black Napkins (The Deathless Horsie) is playing.

Happy tenth anniversary to the Halloween DVD-A release. A decade later, yet some still feel the need to bitch and moan about this one. It's a DVD-A release, where the all inclusiveness may never have been feasible. Folks should ask themselves just how many 4 hour projects did DTS ever put out. In all probability the answer is Zero. The project has a diverse sampling of the 78' Palladium Halloween Run with some Tricks Or Treats treats on the side.

Dweezil Zappa, Joe Travers, Joe Chicarelli and all else involved put in their time to get the project completed. I for one am not only very happy with the results, and but also, very thankful it exists in my collection for a decade. It's pretty clear that this release, and QuAUDIOPHILIAc, was a partnership between the ZFT and DTS Entertainment. I just don't think there ever was a marketplace for a 4 hour DVD-A project.

With a little Hope and Good Will, we can all still put our positive energies into a more inclusive project from the entire 78' Palladium Halloween engagement. But then again, maybe all the tapes did not survive, if so, I suspect that some of the not-so-good-willed- fans, will once again rear their heads up and direct their not-so-good-willed -energies towards the composer.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:44 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
TwentySmallCigars wrote:
Quote:

As I type the 16:56 Black Napkins (The Deathless Horsie) is playing.

Happy tenth anniversary to the Halloween DVD-A release. A decade later, yet some still feel the need to bitch and moan about this one. It's a DVD-A release, where the all inclusiveness may never have been feasible. Folks should ask themselves just how many 4 hour projects did DTS ever put out. In all probability the answer is Zero. The project has a diverse sampling of the 78' Palladium Halloween Run with some Tricks Or Treats treats on the side.

Dweezil Zappa, Joe Travers, Joe Chicarelli and all else involved put in their time to get the project completed. I for one am not only very happy with the results, and but also, very thankful it exists in my collection for a decade. It's pretty clear that this release, and QuAUDIOPHILIAc, was a partnership between the ZFT and DTS Entertainment. I just don't think there ever was a marketplace for a 4 hour DVD-A project.

With a little Hope and Good Will, we can all still put our positive energies into a more inclusive project from the entire 78' Palladium Halloween engagement. But then again, maybe all the tapes did not survive, if so, I suspect that some of the not-so-good-willed- fans, will once again rear their heads up and direct their not-so-good-willed -energies towards the composer.

You're the best fan in the world Trendy. WE GET IT!! Now shut up already. ENOUGH!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:58 am 

I'd still rather listen to an AUD A full show boot rather than a pro 24 track mish-mash.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:43 pm 

tiboudre wrote:
I'd still rather listen to an AUD A full show boot rather than a pro 24 track mish-mash.

Hey, zip up the opinion and just love everything. Be a brainless sycophant like Trendmonger and we'll all get along.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:47 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
tiboudre wrote:

Hey, zip up the opinion and just love everything. Be a brainless sycophant like Trendmonger and we'll all get along.

But then again, Trendy likes his bootleg Congress Shall Make No Law t-shirt...