Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:05 pm
Posts: 2812
Location: where the dogs roll by
coevad wrote:
March 4th
State Theatre
New Brunswick NJ




Watermelon In Easter Hay

Penguin in Bondage
Pygmy Twylyte
Dummy Up
Village of the Sun
Echidna's Arf (Of You)
Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?
Cheepnis
Son of Orange County
More Trouble Every Day
Be-Bop Tango (Of the Old Jazzmen's Church)

Filthy Habits
Debra Kadabra
Teenage Wind
Teenage Prostitute
Black Page #1
Black Page #2
The Torture Never Stops

Montana
Baby Snakes
Don't Eat The Yellow Snow
Muffin Man


I attended this show, 4th row dead center. I wasn't totally sure where the seats were prior to being seated (I don't get out much anymore). Believe it or not, my first time seeing ZPZ. Outstanding! The band was tight and inspired. Scheila Gonzalez was a standout. The sound was clear and undistorted. All the vocals were heard perfectly.

I haven't really checked the set lists. I knew they were playing Roxy, but that was it. I was soooo happy when they launched into Debra Kadabra! Wow, what a pleasant surprise! Watermelon nearly brought a tear to my eye, because I once saw Frank open up with it.

I thought the best spoken parts of Roxy were when they ad-libbed their own dialogue as opposed to directly quoting the Roxy dialogue. Dweezil offered the audience the choice of Torture or Florentine Pogen. I was on the short end, but Torture was great nonetheless.
A class act, all the way. Thank you Dweezil!

_________________
I can't tell when you're telling the truth.
>I'm not.
How do I know anything you've said to me is...
>You don't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3603
Location: Vancouver, BC
coevad wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
February 25
Concord, NH
Capitol Center For The Arts


This show was on the 27th of February :mrgreen:


Corrected! :wink:

sleeping in a jar wrote:
coevad wrote:
March 4th
State Theatre
New Brunswick NJ




Watermelon In Easter Hay

Penguin in Bondage
Pygmy Twylyte
Dummy Up
Village of the Sun
Echidna's Arf (Of You)
Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?
Cheepnis
Son of Orange County
More Trouble Every Day
Be-Bop Tango (Of the Old Jazzmen's Church)

Filthy Habits
Debra Kadabra
Teenage Wind
Teenage Prostitute
Black Page #1
Black Page #2
The Torture Never Stops

Montana
Baby Snakes
Don't Eat The Yellow Snow
Muffin Man


I attended this show, 4th row dead center. I wasn't totally sure where the seats were prior to being seated (I don't get out much anymore). Believe it or not, my first time seeing ZPZ. Outstanding! The band was tight and inspired. Scheila Gonzalez was a standout. The sound was clear and undistorted. All the vocals were heard perfectly.

I haven't really checked the set lists. I knew they were playing Roxy, but that was it. I was soooo happy when they launched into Debra Kadabra! Wow, what a pleasant surprise! Watermelon nearly brought a tear to my eye, because I once saw Frank open up with it.

I thought the best spoken parts of Roxy were when they ad-libbed their own dialogue as opposed to directly quoting the Roxy dialogue. Dweezil offered the audience the choice of Torture or Florentine Pogen. I was on the short end, but Torture was great nonetheless.
A class act, all the way. Thank you Dweezil!


Since I know you were skeptical for years, I'm very glad you finally got to see ZPZ live, siaj! And I'm even more happy you enjoyed it! :D

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
sleeping in a jar wrote:
Believe it or not, my first time seeing ZPZ. Outstanding!
A class act, all the way. Thank you Dweezil!

It's about time siaj. Glad you liked the DZpZ show. This band is one of the best I've seen so far too. :wink: 8)

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 4823
Location: Orange County Ca.
March 5th
The Birchmere
Alexandria, Va.



WIEH
Penguin in Bondage
Pygmy Twylyte
Dummy Up
Village of the Sun
Echidna's Arf (Of You)
Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?
Cheepnis
Son of Orange County
More Trouble Every Day
Be-Bop Tango (Of the Old Jazzmen's Church)
Florentine Pogen*
Debra Kadabra(segue)
Filthy Habits
Teenage Wind(segue)
Teenage Prostitute
Apostrophe
Uncle Remus*
The Black Page#1
The Black Page#2
The Torture Never Stops

Peaches En Regalia*
Don't Eat The Yellow Snow
Baby Snakes
Muffin Man

* FP, UR and PER were not on the bands setlist. They must have wanted to play longer :mrgreen:

_________________
Manny da camper wants to buy some white!


Last edited by coevad on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
FWI, it's Peaches En Regalia and not Peaches & Regalia. I don't mean to nitpick, but we ZappaFreaks are touchy about that shit. :wink:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 4823
Location: Orange County Ca.
Got it!
Thanks KK. And keep up the good work. 8)

_________________
Manny da camper wants to buy some white!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:54 pm
Posts: 30
coevad wrote:
March 5th
The Birchmere
Alexandria, Va.

...

* FP, UR and PER were not on the bands setlist. They must have wanted to play longer :mrgreen:


The keyboardist's uncle--who's in the Marine Corps Band--came up and played clarinet on "Peaches". It really added a lot. He learned it earlier that day, including all the little fiddly bits. Damned impressive.

I believe they played "Uncle Remus" because they had just played (a really awesome) "Apostrophe" at someone's request. The new drummer really brought the thunder all night, but "Apostrophe" was a highlight.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:05 pm
Posts: 2812
Location: where the dogs roll by
I noticed that at different times Ben and Scheila were making notes (not musical, but with pen and paper), during the song. Any speculation on what they were doing? I've never seen this before at a concert.

_________________
I can't tell when you're telling the truth.
>I'm not.
How do I know anything you've said to me is...
>You don't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 20640
Location: Somewhere in time
sleeping in a jar wrote:
I noticed that at different times Ben and Scheila were making notes (not musical, but with pen and paper), during the song. Any speculation on what they were doing? I've never seen this before at a concert.



Their take-out dinner order... :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:10 am
Posts: 2
How great was that cute little girl that played flute during Be-Bop Tango? I thought she was fantastic! (I'm her dad so I'm bias.)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 4823
Location: Orange County Ca.
March 8th
Atlantic City, NJ
House Of Blues


Filthy Habits
Penguin in Bondage
Pygmy Twylyte
Dummy Up
Village of the Sun
Echidna's Arf (Of You)
Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?
Cheepnis
Son of Orange County
More Trouble Every Day
Be-Bop Tango (Of the Old Jazzmen's Church)
The Evil Prince
Debra Kadabra
Teenage Wind
Teenage Prostitute
Ride My Face To Chicago
Black Page #1
Black Page #2
Florentine Pogen

Watermelon In Easter Hay
Don't Eat The Yellow Snow
I'm So Cute
Baby Snakes
Muffin Man*

_________________
Manny da camper wants to buy some white!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:48 am
Posts: 6263
Location: Your Mom's Box
coevad wrote:
March 8th
Atlantic City, NJ
House Of Blues


Filthy Habits
Penguin in Bondage
Pygmy Twylyte
Dummy Up
Village of the Sun
Echidna's Arf (Of You)
Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?
Cheepnis
Son of Orange County
More Trouble Every Day
Be-Bop Tango (Of the Old Jazzmen's Church)
The Evil Prince
Debra Kadabra
Teenage Wind
Teenage Prostitute
Ride My Face To Chicago
Black Page #1
Black Page #2
Black Page #1 played again at the faster pace of 220bpm
Florentine Pogen

Watermelon In Easter Hay
Don't Eat The Yellow Snow
I'm So Cute
Baby Snakes
Muffin Man*


See my note above. BP#1 was played again at a really fast speed for fun because last show of the tour. They had rehearsed it that way a few times before and decided to give it a shot. They nailed it of course.
It was a great show and Dweezil really tore it up. SOOC and FP solos were sick. Sheila killed as usual.
Was hoping for Torture and a couple of other but it really didn't matter in the end.

I cried like a 14 year old girl during WIEH. It was tough to hear.


Image

_________________
Make your checks payable to QUENTIN ROBERT DeNAMELAND, Greatest Living Philostopher Known to Mankind.

Image


Last edited by jaypfunk on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 4823
Location: Orange County Ca.
I hope there is youtube of the faster BP. I will search today.

_________________
Manny da camper wants to buy some white!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:48 am
Posts: 6263
Location: Your Mom's Box
WIEH from A.C.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CJIn84p3Xc

_________________
Make your checks payable to QUENTIN ROBERT DeNAMELAND, Greatest Living Philostopher Known to Mankind.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:07 am
Posts: 1582
How does TBP1 compare speed-wise to the ZINY/Läther version? Is it (nearly) twice as fast?

_________________
Lies are like quicksand, soft and comfortable, but they will swallow us. Truth is like bedrock, hard and uncomfortable, but we can always stand on it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 4823
Location: Orange County Ca.
jaypfunk wrote:

Nice. Thanks for sharing this.

_________________
Manny da camper wants to buy some white!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 4823
Location: Orange County Ca.
I sure hope the Canadian Zappa fans that had their show cancelled due to unfortunate circumstances, get a make up show, at some point.

"...If they have us back." - DZ



June 29th
Palace Theatre, Syracuse NY

Zomby Woof
Son Of Suzy Creamcheese
Call Any Vegetable
Tell Me You Love Me
Who Needs The Peace Corps?
Mother People
Eat That Question
Montana
Camarillo Brillo
Florentine Pogen
Lucky Jones (Pete)
City Of Tiny Lights
Apostrophe
Cosmik Debris

Dinah-Moe Humm
Muffin Man

_________________
Manny da camper wants to buy some white!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:42 pm
Posts: 1034
Location: The Short Forest
Thx for posting Syracuse setlist. I was about to try and post it by memory. Great fucking show. My tenth, and it's definitely in the top 3.

Some random notes/thoughts:
Nice seated theater, first come first serve seats. Too bad the AC didn't work, it was a real ball-soaker in there. DZ took his shirt off after the first song. Some chick handed a 5 dollar bill up to him later in the set.
For merch, they had RBP, DRS CD, and RT2. Didn't see Joe's Camo. There was a nice lookin Beefheart - BCP shirt, but I didn't feel like payin $35 for it.
Sheila & Chris have switched sides. You can hardly see Ryan Brown drumming. DZ's gear blocks most of the kit, bass drum & toms not visible. Apostrophe rocked hard, way more inspired than when I saw it last in Rochester '12 for Joe's last tour.

Peace Corps & Mother People were my faves of the night. Eat That Question too, amazing Sheila solos
Two college age chicks with dreads and some dweeb(probably Phish fans) started hanging/dancing in the aisle towards front blocking a lot of peoples view. I yelled at them to sit the fuck down and they heard me. I was seriously ready to dump water on them.
Probably first show I've seen with no Roxy material. Sort of good that they put that to bed for now after last fall's tour, as much as I love that album.
Where the hell is Lucky Jones from? Z song? It was good, and it rocked. Pete's hilarious.
COTL solo is Santana style now.
When the opening notes of DMH hit, I was like whatever, but it was actually really good to see once.
Lastly, people are fucking idiots with their god-damn smartphones. Paying the ticket price doesn't mean you should be able to walk up front blocking people's view so you can have your little "document". I wish there would be full-on bans for smartphone filming at shows. Instant ejection. :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:26 am
Posts: 17
Lucky Jones

Image

Tracks: 1. Singer In The Woods 2. In My Mind 3. Did I Mention It Was Huge 4. Mommy 5. Dreaming 6. Rubberband 7. Mountains On The Moon 8. Lucky Jones 9. Jesus Clone 10. Loser 11. Kidz Cereal 12. Leviathan 13. Doomed To Be Together 14. My Beef Mailbox 15. Them 16. Shampoohorn


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:42 pm
Posts: 1034
Location: The Short Forest
Some pics & video here:

https://www.facebook.com/palaceonjames


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 4823
Location: Orange County Ca.
Thanks for sharing, Fred.
I just saw the actual setlist. Did they play 'I'm The Slime?'

_________________
Manny da camper wants to buy some white!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:42 pm
Posts: 1034
Location: The Short Forest
coevad wrote:
Thanks for sharing, Fred.
I just saw the actual setlist. Did they play 'I'm The Slime?'


No Slime. Where was that tacked on, for encore? They played just shy of 2 hrs. I saw the soundman after giving away written setlists, but I didn't get to him in time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3603
Location: Vancouver, BC
coevad wrote:
June 29th
Palace Theatre, Syracuse NY

Zomby Woof
Son Of Suzy Creamcheese
Call Any Vegetable
Tell Me You Love Me
Who Needs The Peace Corps?
Mother People
Eat That Question
Montana
Camarillo Brillo
Florentine Pogen
Lucky Jones (Pete)
City Of Tiny Lights
Apostrophe
Cosmik Debris

Dinah-Moe Humm
Muffin Man


That looks like a really short setlist. Are you (or anyone else) sure it's complete?

Btw, thanks for the posting.

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
They played just shy of 2 hrs.


Really? Even though they only played 16 songs?

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 4823
Location: Orange County Ca.
Fred_Zappelin wrote:
coevad wrote:
Thanks for sharing, Fred.
I just saw the actual setlist. Did they play 'I'm The Slime?'


No Slime. Where was that tacked on, for encore? They played just shy of 2 hrs. I saw the soundman after giving away written setlists, but I didn't get to him in time.

Slime was listed as the first encore according to the setlist photo I viewed.

_________________
Manny da camper wants to buy some white!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:30 pm
Posts: 10444
Location: Windsor,Ontario Canada
Image

_________________
I'm not Antisocial,Society is Anti me !


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group