Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:25 am 

I got to the Neptune super early, the line for the sound check was still outside. I didn't know it was the line for the soundcheck, so I just got in back and hung out. A 15 year old kid was in front of me, his mom was with him. They were from Canada, and she said it was a 6 hour drive but they flew just in case of weather. I was also 15 when I first saw Frank in concert, in Seattle in December, 1984, so I was glad to see this young man and his wonderful mom in line. The line started moving and they all went in except me, because I was in line for general admission, the doors would open for that in 1.5 hours. So I just stood outside and hung out. My friend was still at work but was busing over to meet me, I had his ticket with me. A couple old dudes, former hippies by the look of them, ambled over and one of them started chatting with me. He was probably about 60 years old, his friend looked even older, with a long white beard. These were cool old guys and the one dude was glad to meet me, a fellow Zappa fan, and gave me a hug. So we talked for about 10 minutes until suddenly they were handed tickets by some other dude walking in. I said that's OK, I'm waiting for my friend, so I stayed outside. I'm not too big a fan of sound checks, having never been to one anyway, I come for the real show and don't think it is worth it to pay extra for a 25 minute sound check. So my friend shows up and we have Club tickets so we get to move over to another door for exclusive Club entrance action. Soon the door opens and they let us inside. This is a big improvement from 2 years ago at the Neptune when we all waited outside and jammed inside together. We got in, being first and all, so we got front row! Shortly after sitting down I went up to take a piss and came back and bought a pint of Manny's Pale Ale (if you ever come to Seattle, this is the best ale made locally, so try it!), and enjoyed that as we waited. My friend did the same a few minutes later. T-Shirts were selling, CDs and posters too. We didn't buy any though.

So finally the show started, a little late, but the Dweeze walked out with the requisite Gibson SG around his neck. This was the replica SG that Gibson made for sale, and have probably all sold out by now it being a limited edition and all.

I'm not going to post the set list here, someone else who was there can do that, it was very similar to the previous show in Vancouver, though we did get to hear an incredible rendition of Willie The Pimp.

This is the seventh ZPZ show I've been to in Seattle, since late 2006 when DZ and band first came here to play in the Paramount.

Shelia Gonzalez is the only original member, all the others are different. The new drummer was fantastic, great energy and really played well, with occasional vocals too. The keyboard player had a MOOG synth that made the authentic sounds, or was it his Mac that he played through? We'll never know!

How can DZ keep making every show better and better?? His guitar playing has certainly evolved over the years since 2006. The tones he played were so gorgeous too. That SG really has a beautiful deep woody tonality that is so dark and wonderful. And by the look on his face, I think he enjoyed himself here. I hope so! Because I want him to keep coming to Seattle!!

Audience participation was fantastic, the best yet. Really fun, the two young men were probably 13-14 years old, and the girl was 18 or so. She was really making these guys crazy, she was a gorgeous blonde and they were just hot for her! At least that is how they made it look up there on stage.

So Dweezil, if you're reading this (of course he isn't but hey), thanks man, for the music. Thanks for the energy. Thanks for the heartful, soulful guitar playing. Frank's music is so powerful, there is nothing out there like it that comes close when played live. Please don't stop coming to Seattle. See you next time!!