Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:54 am 

Frank's solos in '84 are incredible and Thunes shines in the smaller lineup (kind of like Barrow during the Logeman tour). Would love raw MIDI data for Wackerman's drums and Zavod's keys to "fix" the tour.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:38 am 

I had an email exchange with Scott Thunes once where he wrote that he thought he played better in 1984 than in earlier tours because he was more confident after being asked back, and since FZ started letting him play whatever he wanted.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:04 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
I had an email exchange with Scott Thunes once where he wrote that he thought he played better in 1984 than in earlier tours because he was more confident after being asked back, and since FZ started letting him play whatever he wanted.

Makes a lot of sense. I had no idea that this occurred. Makes me wanna hear the '84 band again (and I never thought that would happen).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:05 pm 

Yeah Barrow and Coliauta form my favorite rhythm section but when I sit down to figure stuff out on bass I turn to Thunes the most since his lines are more fun. The 1984 Whats New in Baltimore bass line is a beast compared to its former self. Keep it greasey, while stupid fast by 80 is not as complex as the 84 version musically, tinseltown rebellion is pretty boring once you compare it to the Thunes version.... He's a monster player and his and Frank's interplay (and chad) is the saving grace of the 84 tour.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:25 am 

To me, Scott Thunes was one of Frank's best sidemen ever. I'm glad I copied all those bass transcriptions that were on that website a few years ago because I read them probably every few weeks, just for fun.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:27 pm 

tiboudre wrote:
To me, Scott Thunes was one of Frank's best sidemen ever. I'm glad I copied all those bass transcriptions that were on that website a few years ago because I read them probably every few weeks, just for fun.

His bass playing alone makes me love a song like Valley Girl :-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:12 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
pbuzby wrote:

Makes a lot of sense. I had no idea that this occurred. Makes me wanna hear the '84 band again (and I never thought that would happen).

Thunes' (post)-punkish attitude compared with his Stravinskian sensibilities make him stand out in the sea of all the jazz-orientated session musicanly musicians! He's got a great bass tone as well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:28 pm 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
pbuzby wrote:

Thunes' (post)-punkish attitude compared with his Stravinskian sensibilities make him stand out in the sea of all the jazz-orientated session musicanly musicians! He's got a great bass tone as well.

Indeed. Thanks to pbuzby for opening my ears to this.