Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:20 am 

quote...
"It’s a fact that humor cannot be taught, if the person in question is not humorous in the first place.
Frank was, Dweezil is not. I’m only talking about their stage persona, have no idea how they were/are in their personal life.
Frank’s music, apart from the compositional side, which no one doubts was the work of a musical genius, was anchored in the moment (audience participation/presence, musician’s reactions, etc) and the times (stuff happening in the society at that moment).
That’s why, while Frank’s compositions can be performed by any cover band/orchestra, the true spirit of his concerts cannot be cloned.
One can add his own personality to it and turn a FZ concert into a new beast, involving the audience, remaining true to a contemporary socio-political satire.
This is the part that makes Dweezil’s concerts sad, because the young public who has not listened to Frank’s music when it first came out or who has not been to any of Frank’s concerts, will not understand the “funny parts”. A simple example from the Roxy Tour: “ … the words from your lips, (I am not a crook)…” Who from the new generation really knows that those lines refer to? And if they do, are they still funny? They were funny back then, when no one expected Frank to hit this way the Presidential discourse.
On a good note, pun intended, Dweezil is a good musician and comes out with some good guitar live improvisations (at least they sound as improvs). I wonder why he doesn’t add his own bit to the music of the Maestro, keep what’s to be kept (the composition) and put some Dweezil 2014 in it. Or just release a triple LP box with Guitar Solos and no talk.
I lost my father too; he was a good art photographer. I often felt I shouldn’t “surpass” him, as sign of love and respect. But while I’m not such a bad photographer, my art develops in a different direction (still visual, Im a painter). Maybe Dweezil has moments of “fear” of continuing his father’s work and making it “better”. That won’t be possible, as each artist has his/her own soul put into his work, unless he/she only tries to clone someone else’s.
At the Art Academy one starts by copying the Old Masters but there comes a time when one needs to go his own way or else the work will take revenge and kill the pleasure, bore the public.
I can play my own Roxy LPs at home, and I’d like to hear some Dweezil live."

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:26 pm 

UGH! This fuckhead needs to shut up!

/thread

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:44 am 

What can I say - everybody who's been to a ZPZ concert knows there's some truth in that post. He didn't inherit the funnybone, or the unlimited creativity. But we forgive him, because he's Dweezil. And because he gives us Zappa fans a damn good show.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:02 am 

DC Boogie wrote:
What can I say - everybody who's been to a ZPZ concert knows there's some truth in that post. He didn't inherit the funnybone, or the unlimited creativity. But we forgive him, because he's Dweezil. And because he gives us Zappa fans a damn good show.

Agreed - I was trying to put that into words yesterday.
There's a million worse acts out there to start with.
Keep it up DZ.
TT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:00 pm 

Ahmet seemed to inherit Frank's more goofy side, I think if he was in ZPZ it would be a whole different animal.