Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:39 am 

VCF wrote:
Not many folks talk about the bass playing of Scott Thunes. I really dig his interaction with FZ on guitar solos.

vcf

I dig!
i think i even said so in the underrated solo thread.

about mike keneally, i keep meaning to check out one of his albums. i can't really hear any of his contributions on the '88 releases, or don't recognise it as him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:35 pm 

Now that I think about it, Roy Estrada and Jimmy Carl Black were actually a damned good rhythm section for their time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:50 pm 

Anthony wrote:
Now that I think about it, Roy Estrada and Jimmy Carl Black were actually a damned good rhythm section for their time.

Sure thing. Probably even way better than, say McCartney/Starr, or subsequently, Roger Waters/Nick Mason. Even FZ had good words to say about JCB's precise timing, as it reminded him of the drummer on those Jimmy Reed recordings he had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:54 pm 

Anthony wrote:
Are you saying I'm a cheesy fake trumpet? :?

Ah well, i guess I should not over-react or get too defensive over some petty things. there are millions of tastes. although, i take a guess that whether or not you actually appreciate Tommy Mars' synthesizer sounds kind of depends on what do you think of eighties in terms of music. As far as mainstream music goes, I'm of the "Holy Crap the Eighties Sucked" school of thought. How 'bout you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:18 pm 

It seems to me that many Zappa fans, those who came aboard after the mid-seventies anyway, tend to undervalue to vocalizing of the more youthful Mothers. At this website, Flo and Eddie are seriously undervalued.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:45 am 

i dont mind tommy mars' synth, took a little getting used to though, not being around at that point in time. maybe it did sound cool then?! tell us if you were there!

the cheesiest it sounds to me is on the dub room special, the solo on the synth during 'nig biz' is almost unbearable for me! at times on tinseltown it seems a bit 'in yer face'.

but i like it on sheik, don't think it sounds too bad there. with the 84 synths i just think fuck it, and go with the whole cheesy aspect they had sometimes, hahah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:32 am 

The Synclavier.

Quote:
"Anything you make up, can be played or typed by the machine. One of the things I'm using it for, is the creation of complex rhythms, that I can have executed accurately by different groups of instruments. With the Synclavier you can have every imaginable group of instruments play the most complex passages because the little fellows inside will always play it with a millisecond precision degree...

Machines don't get drunk, stoned, or fired and don't need help to carry their families with them from here to everywhere in cases of emergency."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:40 am 

Flo and Eddie will never be undervalued in this house.

The day Steve Vai comes up with a nice little MELODY on his own, like Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance, or Let's Make The Water Turn Black, instead of constant guitar pyrotechnics, I'll like him a lot better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:17 am 

Aybe Sea wrote:
Anthony wrote:
Are you saying I'm a cheesy fake trumpet? :?

Ah well, i guess I should not over-react or get too defensive over some petty things. there are millions of tastes. although, i take a guess that whether or not you actually appreciate Tommy Mars' synthesizer sounds kind of depends on what do you think of eighties in terms of music. As far as mainstream music goes, I'm of the "Holy Crap the Eighties Sucked" school of thought. How 'bout you?

No such bias, although it's more because I think mainstream music of EVERY era sucked. Also, Tommy was using those sounds as far back as '77, so I don't necessarily think of it as an "'80s thing" (that said, I find his synth noises a lot more enjoyable on Sheik Yerbouti than, say, Tinseltown Rebellion).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:21 am 

Anthony wrote:
Also, Tommy was using those sounds as far back as '77, so I don't necessarily think of it as an "'80s thing".

True, true, true :mrgreen:

Anthony wrote:
(that said, I find his synth noises a lot more enjoyable on Sheik Yerbouti than, say, Tinseltown Rebellion)

:| ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:08 am 

I love Flo and Eddie and I fail to understand how they annoy anyone. Don't blame them for the lyrics (which I like anyway, but that's not the point. You'll blame that on me being fourteen anyhow). I really like the vocal contributions to the instrumentals...Peaches, Little House, Dog Breath are really nice touches.

But you can hardly call them underrated. So I'll go with the one guy everyone forgot about...the underdog...the perrenial black horse....

...What? He did some mighty fine soloing on Zappa's music, and the little I've seen/heard of ZPZ is pretty damn amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:35 am 

FeralCats wrote:
I love Flo and Eddie and I fail to understand how they annoy anyone. Don't blame them for the lyrics (which I like anyway, but that's not the point. You'll blame that on me being fourteen anyhow). I really like the vocal contributions to the instrumentals...Peaches, Little House, Dog Breath are really nice touches.

Sometimes their singing was a little too over-the-top, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:02 pm 

tommy mars is amazing IMO. i didnt realize he was so unpopular around here. i think its a shame he's not a household name, he is one helll of a musician.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:08 pm 

Aybe Sea wrote:
FeralCats wrote:

Sometimes their singing was a little too over-the-top, though.

I thought it was bombastic/operatic, and fun. But that's the line where it goes into opinion, I suppose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:30 pm 

If I had any problem with Flo And Eddie, it's how nasal they could be. A lot of time they do this screeching whiny thing that can really get on my nerves.

Didn't stop me from adding them on myspace, though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:16 am 

About Vai being overrated:

I think one should not forget that FZ considered his musicians as tools that enabled him to give a more or less accurate picture of the music he had in mind. Now this holds too for those musicians he seemed to have (and probably had) a special bond with, like Bozzio, Willis or Vai. In the case of the latter, FZ's praising of his stunning technique was no more than an aknowledgement of his being a superior tool. Unfortunately, the community of the mustache's fan (to which I belong), sometimes taking too much for granted what FZ said, and with some lack of discernement, thought that Vai's technique made him a great musician at all.

Well, about the most underrated ones, I'll choose : Dunbar, Erroneus, Martin and Thunes, the latter enduring some kind of anathem for his alleged role in the self-destruction of the 1988 band.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:16 pm 

Scott Thunes and Tom Fowler. Tommy Mars isn't underrated. Everyone knows he's great!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:44 am 

Arthur Tripp and Bunk "Sweetpants" Gardner are particularly underrated.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:40 am 

Robert Martin, from Philadelphia,
Curtis Institute graduate, 1971
Let's hear it for him!

:mrgreen:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:47 pm 

Anthony wrote:

Not the biggest fan of JCB. It bothers me that he said he didn't get what Zappa was doing in the 60's in one interview and then pretended to be the expert judge of avant-garde (and says Beefheart was better at it than Zappa) in the next! I'm sorry he passed away, however. I will agree that Roy Estrada is awesome. He just cracks me up! Not a bad bass player either.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:24 am 

I loved Vai in the movie "Crossroads".

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:46 am 

George Duke & Tommy Mars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:36 am 

Sal Marquez

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:53 pm 

The Giraff,The Poodle,tweezers & Susy Creamcheese.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:42 am 

Elliot Ingber

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next