It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:25 am 

Crudblud wrote:
PappaWas1975 wrote:
Crudblud wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
A fairly safe bet would be Les Claypool -- with or without "Primus" -- in many of his many manifestations.

--Bat

Primus Sucks! :mrgreen:

You know, I do like Primus, but everytime I put their records on, they annoy the fuck out of me and I wish they had a different vocalist. Great msuicians though.....Strange eh?

They're excellent musicians, Ler has to be one of the most underappreciated professional guitarists around today, he plays some incredibly technical stuff on most Primus albums. Les' vocals are great to my ears, really fits their style, you couldn't have James LaBrie sing that stuff.
With that I'll agree, Crud. For some Les might sound a little "cuntry" at times -- maybe that's the problem for PappaWas1975 -- but he's got the dynamics down just right and Ler LaLonde is another overlooked guitar-meister.

Well, "consumer consumption" and "invested corporate monies" put Coldplay and Linkin Park up front with Les and Ler way at the back. (Hah! FZ is out in the dumpster!)

--Bat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:42 am 

BatchainPartIV wrote:
Crudblud wrote:
PappaWas1975 wrote:
Crudblud wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
A fairly safe bet would be Les Claypool -- with or without "Primus" -- in many of his many manifestations.

--Bat

You know, I do like Primus, but everytime I put their records on, they annoy the fuck out of me and I wish they had a different vocalist. Great msuicians though.....Strange eh?

They're excellent musicians, Ler has to be one of the most underappreciated professional guitarists around today, he plays some incredibly technical stuff on most Primus albums. Les' vocals are great to my ears, really fits their style, you couldn't have James LaBrie sing that stuff.
With that I'll agree, Crud. For some Les might sound a little "cuntry" at times -- maybe that's the problem for PappaWas1975 -- but he's got the dynamics down just right and Ler LaLonde is another overlooked guitar-meister.

Well, "consumer consumption" and "invested corporate monies" put Coldplay and Linkin Park up front with Les and Ler way at the back. (Hah! FZ is out in the dumpster!)

--Bat

On 'Frizzle Fry' (Suck On This version) he sounds like one of those old people from Oklahoma who sit on their porch drinking lemonade, you know, they always have them in bad movies set in the southern states?

As for corporate investments it's a real shame that money matters more than the music. To my ears, anyone could write a Coldplay song, but I don't think that just anyone could write a Primus song, so where unique talent is shoved to the back it's always very disappointing.

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:00 pm 

Crudblud wrote:
PappaWas1975 wrote:
Crudblud wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:

--Bat

Claypool is very funny and creative and his bandmates are great players. i kind of only wish every single song wasn't the same groove in all of his bands. maybe he has two grooves that he switches off. You get what i mean. it's like listening to satriani boom chuck boom chuck boom chuck then satriani does his thing.

http://thesurfonics.com/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:58 am 

muziko wrote:
Crudblud wrote:
PappaWas1975 wrote:
Crudblud wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:

--Bat

Claypool is very funny and creative and his bandmates are great players. i kind of only wish every single song wasn't the same groove in all of his bands. maybe he has two grooves that he switches off. You get what i mean. it's like listening to satriani boom chuck boom chuck boom chuck then satriani does his thing.

Being honest I don't get what you mean, mind you i've never listened to much of Claypool's work outside of Primus.

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:04 pm 

I mean they are very fun too listen to but i find it quite repetitious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:13 pm 

Ok, that's cool, I never found Primus to be repetitve, except on the Brown Album. As I said, I have never heard Claypool's work outside of Primus so I can't comment on the rest of it.

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:16 pm 

I have a dvd of 3 hours of les claypool in his different groups. it's basically 3 hours of the same 2-4 funk beat with different lyrics. I still think Claypool and company are quite cool just could possibly use some branching out on the rhythmic side IMHO. I love primus' video work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:28 pm 

I see, Primus are probably his most varied act then?

Stream my music here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:11 am 

Attachment:
celtic harp.jpg
celtic harp.jpg [ 4.8 KiB | Viewed 863 times ]

He liked the Chieftains - several tracks from the above were recorded at Frank's UMRK and it includes the song he requested to be played at his funeral ( no mean achievment). I think somewhere he suggests that any sane person would prefer The Chieftains to U2 ! This album is indeed beautiful - purer than some of the other stuff where they got a bit showbiz, recording with Jagger, Sting etc

i recommend a listen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:21 am 

bkelly wrote:
Attachment:
celtic harp.jpg

He liked the Chieftains - several tracks from the above were recorded at Frank's UMRK and it includes the song he requested to be played at his funeral ( no mean achievment). I think somewhere he suggests that any sane person would prefer The Chieftains to U2 ! This album is indeed beautiful - purer than some of the other stuff where they got a bit showbiz, recording with Jagger, Sting etc

i recommend a listen

Is this the same Chieftains (Sean O Raida) as tunes like Women of Ireland and Tin Whistles used on the Barry Lyndon soundtrack?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:47 am 

thenoisydrum wrote:
bkelly wrote:
Attachment:
celtic harp.jpg

i recommend a listen

Is this the same Chieftains (Sean O Raida) as tunes like Women of Ireland and Tin Whistles used on the Barry Lyndon soundtrack?

Yes, it's them.

The song he asked for at his funeral is 'The Green Fields of America' sung by Kevin Conneff. Quote from Gail Z in Chieftains' authorised biography (used by Barry Miles) is "it's still very hard for me to listen to it because it was recorded in our studio and frank loved it so much. frank and I used to listen to it together and the two of us were just in tears. I will never forget that. it was so extraordinary.'

My Dad knew the Chieftain's harpist Derek Bell (now dead) - he was from belfast.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:56 am 

an old friend of mine has a reel to reel of a fz interview in toronto....late 70's and he mentioned he liked devo.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:58 pm 

Wow they played that at Frank's funeral? I wonder who was there? I could imagine it was a very sad day for everyone but I still wonder who showed up and who didn't.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:07 am 

When Frank done a 2 hour radio spot of his favourite songs in about 1979 or 1980 (BBC Radio 1 England in case you wish to seek it out) his choice of music was pretty mundane, mainly punk stuff with the likes of "Sweet Home Alabama" "Killer queen" "Paint it Black" and suchlike thrown in for good measure....Hardly anything weird or unusual.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:10 am 

Batchain1001 wrote:

--Bat

I like Primus somewhat but I can't help but always feel their songs, which have potential, seem unfinished.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:43 pm 

Well, Killer Queen is guaranteed to blow your mind. Anytime.

Last edited by calvin2hikers on Sun May 09, 2010 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:41 am 

I think he woud have like Mike Patton and Meshuggah, apart from that mostly contemporary orchestral stuff